Ridership by Trunk Line

6 Lexington Ave

The local trains my be the busyness you are referring to. The local trains on QBL can be crowded due to around 15 trains per hour headways during rush (both the M and R). Keep in mind, around those local stops on the QBL, the area is dense and there is much to do.

I feel the Broadway line is close behind the Lexington Avenue Line. See all it runs through.

-Clearly Broadway along it's route

-Canal Street

-Prince Street (soho)

-14th, USQ

-23rd, MSQ

-34th Street-Herald Square

-42nd Street-TSQ

-49th Street-TSQ

In my opinion, the busiest is this:

1) The Lexington Avenue Line (4)(5)(6)

2) The Canarsie/14th Street Line (L)

3) The Flushing Line (7)

4) Queens Boulevard Line (E)(F)(M)(R)

5) Broadway Line (N)(R)(Q)

6) 6th Avenue Line (B)(D)(F)(M)

7) 8th Avenue Line (A)(C)(E)

In the web, I see that the Canarsie had a ridership of 30 million in the mid 2000's or 230,000 passengers per day.

This seems a bit too low to be the second busiest line of subway system.

A crowded line with a low frequencies can carry less passengers than a less crowded line with much higher frequencies.

In the web, I see that the Canarsie had a ridership of 30 million in the mid 2000's or 230,000 passengers per day.

This seems a bit too low to be the second busiest line of subway system.

A crowded line with a low frequencies can carry less passengers than a less crowded line with much higher frequencies.

Sometime's I ride the (L) during rush hour between Union Square and Myrtle Avenue.

Sometime's I cannot get onto the train as do others cannot get on either, Just like the (4)(5) and (6) That's only 1 reason why I put the (L) second.

You'd have a much easier time getting on the (L) at Union Square if you tried boarding at the front of the train. Everybody always tries to squeeze into the middle or rear of the train there.

IMO it's always preferable to board the train where you KNOW you can get a spot rather than boarding at the closest spot to where the exit at your destination station is. Going Brooklyn-bound on the L, there isn't a station with a front end exit until Morgan Ave (the main exit, and the one with the (G) transfer, is at the rear of Lorimer St), so the first 2 cars are always much emptier, even during rush hour.

Terminal Issues? Is CBTC a strain? lol

Okay, what do you guys think about Broadway, it seems pretty close to next after the Lex, in terms of ridership.

About what Snowblock said, commuter time speeds up. It may be 5 minutes for the train to come, but they say it's 10.

For my posters I added up the ridership numbers provided on the MTAs website.  The problem is that they only count station entries.  This means that at say Times Sq you can't tell who is using which line.  So for my final numbers each station is counted for as many different lines stop there.  Lexington and 7th Ave are more accurate since they don't share as many stations as say the 8th and 6th Ave lines.

So rough estimates:

1. IND 6th Ave (B,D,F,M): 499,793,712
  2. IRT Lexington (4,5,6): 451,408,253
  3. IRT 7th Ave (1,2,3): 449,424,657
  4. BMT Broadway (N,Q,R): 431,262,911
  5. IND 8th Ave (A,C,E): 380,172,876
  6. IRT Flushing (7): 209,143,818
  7. BMT Canarsie (L): 116,822,155
  8. BMT Jamaica (J,Z): 103,387,197
  9. IND Crosstown (G): 43,397,099

These are 2010 numbers.

Archived