Train Employees' Views on the R62 and R62A cars

ttcsubwayfan

Contrary to popular belief, NONE of the active revenue fleet have volume control for the PA. The volume control is your voice and how close you get to the mic. On a related matter, the HVAC doesn't have a temperature control either - we have ON or OFF, and the thermostat in each car does the adjustments automatically.

Contrary to popular belief, NONE of the active revenue fleet have volume control for the PA. The volume control is your voice and how close you get to the mic. On a related matter, the HVAC doesn't have a temperature control either - we have ON or OFF, and the thermostat in each car does the adjustments automatically.

I thought I saw a volume control knob near the door close announcement button when I peeked into an OOS R160... (from the platform of an active station.. don't any of you get any ideas lol)

It's probably just for the automated announcements then if it is, I know sometimes I hear the automated stuff in different volumes. IINM you can feed the radio directly into the train on the NTT's too. One time a message from RCC came on through the entire train and another time I saw a C/R talking to control through a mic near the TOD (not the one by the door control nor into an external radio.)

With all that I've only seen one knob that looks somewhat like a volume control knob, and I've only seen it on an NT train.

That volume knob is for the cab speaker, and controls how loud you HEAR it, not how loud you broadcast. The speaker is for the IC (which is used for talking to the other cabs) and for the automatic announcements, emergency intercom and radio on the NTTs. Yes you can broadcast the radio over the PA on the NTTs too, but that is typically only used in cases of severe delays or emergencies where RCC wants to pass information directly to the the customers that the conductor doesn't have.

I thought I saw a volume control knob near the door close announcement button when I peeked into an OOS R160... (from the platform of an active station.. don't any of you get any ideas lol)

It's probably just for the automated announcements then if it is, I know sometimes I hear the automated stuff in different volumes. IINM you can feed the radio directly into the train on the NTT's too. One time a message from RCC came on through the entire train and another time I saw a C/R talking to control through a mic near the TOD (not the one by the door control nor into an external radio.)

With all that I've only seen one knob that looks somewhat like a volume control knob, and I've only seen it on an NT train.

is that how a 142a can BLAST the bleecker street announcement or is that because of the recording?

62 & 62a are the same as R68s.... its basically a mini R68. Havent seen a lot of big issues with those contract. I think the 62s on the #1 line have NO Door Enabler System on it..... correct me if i am wrong. 

Except that the R68s came about 1 to 2 years after the last R62As.

62 & 62a are the same as R68s.... its basically a mini R68. Havent seen a lot of big issues with those contract. I think the 62s on the #1 line have NO Door Enabler System on it..... correct me if i am wrong. 

R62/A's don't have door enablers in them at all.  The only subway cars with door enablers in the A Division are the R142/A's.  

I enjoy working on the R62/A's.  The majority of the PA's work, it's surprisingly roomy inside the cab and they are basic and simple cars to operate from a conductors point of view and for me, simple is perfect.  2 thumbs up for me.

I love the R62A more than the R62 because , its smoother, the propulsion noise sounds better than the R62's (which is like the R46s) and also the rollsigns of the R62As look more "organized" than those of the R62s , the only thing I dont like about those trains are those pantograph gates, they should be replaced with the spring ropes

This may be an unpopular opinion around here, but R68A > R68. The 68A intercoms actually work and they're the only class in the active fleet which have fire extinguishers in the cabs. And sliding doors beat hinged doors, especially with those TIGHT cabs that the 68/68A's have.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to double post, but I read on an older thread that the R62A and R68A cars have a component called e-cam and that it delays the application of the brakes by 4 seconds (this was posted by a driver).

Another source said that it was the R62 and R68A with the delay, since they are Kawasaki, and that it's only a 1.5 second delay. And yet another said that the delay only kicks in when the train is doing 32 mph or higher. Which of these statements has a truth to it? I'm doing research for a fictional project and I don't know much about the mechanical aspects of these cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived