Click on It (1/18/13)

The Real

Yup! There are 16 in the house already.  I have yet to operate one in passenger service yet :(.

lol... What's funny is usually the new ones they only like to put out sparingly and usually not at night or during rush hours at first... Are you guys keeping your LFSAs or are they going elsewhere? I saw one the other day over by Riverdale Av and 230th as I was on the express bus heading up the hill.

lol... What's funny is usually the new ones they only like to put out sparingly and usually not at night or during rush hours at first... Are you guys keeping your LFSAs or are they going elsewhere? I saw one the other day over by Riverdale Av and 230th as I was on the express bus heading up the hill.

It seems now that the XD60s are coming in, the LFSAs are being more widely used. Wherein they used to pretty much be stuck to the Bx9, I'm seeing them EVERYWHERE on KB routes...Yesterday alone, saw them on the Bx55, 1, 2, 41, 3...

Yup! There are 16 in the house already.  I have yet to operate one in passenger service yet :(.

Have you been qualified on them yet?

I am not too sure what will become of our LFSA's.  It does not surprise me that you saw one at 230th, it has been a NovaFestTM on the Concourse lately.

One thing I noticed is that usually when we get new buses all the senior guys duck, hide and runaway as far as they can from them, but with the Xcelsiors they all beg for them.  I would say at my garage the vast majority of operators (those who have driven the XD60) prefer it to LFSA.  

With the Nova's, a good number of us agree that it is extremely dangerous especially in emergency situations that the bus retards it self once the joint turns the slightest bit; on the 5770-53xx series, the lights in the "tractor" portion don't dim as dark as they do on the 1200 series buses (Nova's) so at night time it is a nightmare with all of the reflections on the windshield (It even obstructs the right side mirror).  The brakes are quite finicky and are hit or miss (this may be a maintenance issue), they don't really bite until maybe a second or so after initial application not to mention that "jumping" feeling you get just before you come to a complete stop.  At first I thought it was because they were equipped with disc brakes but so are the XD60's and they stop just like a S-Cam brake equipped CMV (i.e D60).  Although, I must admit I wish the XD60 had the infamous coffee cup holder vent the LFSA's have, it keeps my coffee and tea just as hot when I bought it lol  :ph34r:

--

@Vintage_Soul: Yes I have, since the first week lol.

A lot of those complaints are due to stuff that the MTA spec'd out a certain way. I've driven LFSs elsewhere and they are a DREAM. But as usual, it takes the MTA to f**k up a perfectly good bus. Hell the MTA LFSs don't even ride like a standard LFS and I blame that stupid single tire on the middle axle.

I drove a Prevost with the regular tire set up and a Prevost with the single tire set up. The single tire set up rides hard.

It seems now that the XD60s are coming in, the LFSAs are being more widely used. Wherein they used to pretty much be stuck to the Bx9, I'm seeing them EVERYWHERE on KB routes...Yesterday alone, saw them on the Bx55, 1, 2, 41, 3...

So maybe they want to retire the high floor buses a bit quicker... In any event it's about time they start putting them out.  They have been easing only a few new buses on the Bx1, as usually when I pass by they always have those older buses on the line.

I am not too sure what will become of our LFSA's.  It does not surprise me that you saw one at 230th, it has been a NovaFestTM on the Concourse lately.

One thing I noticed is that usually when we get new buses all the senior guys duck, hide and runaway as far as they can from them, but with the Xcelsiors they all beg for them.  I would say at my garage the vast majority of operators (those who have driven the XD60) prefer it to LFSA.  

With the Nova's, a good number of us agree that it is extremely dangerous especially in emergency situations that the bus retards it self once the joint turns the slightest bit; on the 5770-53xx series, the lights in the "tractor" portion don't dim as dark as they do on the 1200 series buses (Nova's) so at night time it is a nightmare with all of the reflections on the windshield (It even obstructs the right side mirror).  The brakes are quite finicky and are hit or miss (this may be a maintenance issue), they don't really bite until maybe a second or so after initial application not to mention that "jumping" feeling you get just before you come to a complete stop.  At first I thought it was because they were equipped with disc brakes but so are the XD60's and they stop just like a S-Cam brake equipped CMV (i.e D60).  Although, I must admit I wish the XD60 had the infamous coffee cup holder vent the LFSA's have, it keeps my coffee and tea just as hot when I bought it lol  :ph34r:

LOL... Yeah I see one here and there over there, but it seems as if for now, the older buses are still the favs on that line. My uncle called me during the holidays but I was sick so I got back to him once I got better and just left him a voice mail. Anywho next time I chat with him, I will ask him what he prefers driving because he is out of Quill last I checked (saw him on the M23 a while ago) and they have quite a few LFSA's now so I'm curious what his thoughts are, as he is one of the "veterans" you refer to.  :lol: 

Oh one other thing... Do these new artics have shields on them?? 

Archived