Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this thread has run it's course , and it might be time for it to be closed, because I have been doing this too much....

Facepalm3.jpg

One person made an off-topic post, and you conclude that the thread should be locked? If you don't want to read it, why don't you simply stop reading it? There's been an interesting discussion going on.

He DOSENT even know what I'm going to ask! Anyway the reason what I said that is because I made measurements and I saw that a redbird could fill the gap between the Platform and it then an R62. This is why i was asking about redbirds is this so it dosent count as off-topic....

Actually it is. All redbirds have been removed from revenue service nearly a decade ago. The ones that haven't been dumped into the Atlantic Ocean and are still on the property are work service only. And no, Transit is not going to go through the trouble of converting 50 year old cars back to revenue-active status just so they be used at old South Ferry. So, enough with the redbirds stuff. Anything concerning said cars will be treated as spamming and deleted. Thank you for your compliance.

@Roadcruiser1: Once again, leave the moderating to the mods themselves. If I or one of the other mods feel that a thread should be closed, we'll close it.

That's why I also brought up seeing if it is more feasible (and cheaper) to do whatever work was necessary to make old SF compliant AND have it where all 10 cars can open there.  If it can be done for reasonably less than the $600 million-(more likely in my view) $1 BILLION or so it may cost to get the current SF repaired, it may be better to expand old SF to make it platform 10 cars (it's been noted it can actually platform seven cars as it is, so it may not have to be a full doubling of the station) and make it ADA compliant.

No, it can't. So please drop the idea.

Apparently nobody heard me so ill say it again. Are there any Redbirds still lying around in the subway system?

Yes, there were a couple on garbage duty on the Concourse line tonight.

SImply my view.  Quite a few people I know if they were in that situation would probably have been demanding such already.  That's why I'm surprised the pols have been quiet about it (of course, they also might have been quiet about it because it's only been in the last week or so that we have learned how bad the damage has been at the current SF and how long it will actually take to fix it).

That's why I also brought up seeing if it is more feasible (and cheaper) to do whatever work was necessary to make old SF compliant AND have it where all 10 cars can open there.  If it can be done for reasonably less than the $600 million-(more likely in my view) $1 BILLION or so it may cost to get the current SF repaired, it may be better to expand old SF to make it platform 10 cars (it's been noted it can actually platform seven cars as it is, so it may not have to be a full doubling of the station) and make it ADA compliant.

It may simply come down to what would be less costly to do.

Again: Source? Link?

Second attempt at asking.....

Adaptation is something excellent for humans... some fail to use it or are afraid of it's beauty.

So you're saying we should develop super-speed?

Look, I'm saying it's not as simple as you're making it out to be. If your boss tells you that you have to stay an extra 5 minutes, then it's that much harder to catch the ferry. You can't "leave earlier" if you're not able to leave earlier. So, you risk missing the ferry. There's nothing you can do, but stop with this BS of "leave earlier", like it's so simple for everybody to do.

Why does it need a cross-under? And what do you mean by "drop the station"?

I think he means that they shouldn't rebuild the station. Grand Concourse & I were talking about it before, and the station sees something like 29,000 riders per weekday. Considering that the (R) goes to Brooklyn, I'd assume that more riders are seeking the (R) than the (1), so maybe 12,000 riders actually want (1) service.  

They're going to spend what is it, like $530 million, trying to save 12,000 riders a 10 minute walk. Meanwhile, the North Shore Rail Line (built as a heavy rail) would cost $400 million, and serve about 14,000 riders a day, under the current circumstances. (Assuming no new development, etc, which is likely to be generated). Of course, the eastern part of the line borders the water (but it isn't the open harbor like South Ferry), but even with the amount of money required to make sure the line is hurricane-proofed (maybe moving it a little bit inland, or maybe using additional caissons or something to provide a stronger foundation), it would likely be a better investment than rebuilding that station. Or if we're worried about flooding, helping fund an extension of the HBLR over the Bayonne Bridge could be a better use of the money. Not to mention projects in the other boroughs that could benefit from $530 million worth of improvements.

Not to mention that with the Fulton Street Transit Center opening, and the passageways being streamlined, passengers could transfer from the (2)(3) to the (R) or (4)(5), rather than the (1). (Plus, I don't think this is the case, but if the new Cortlandt Street station on the (1) is connected to the Fulton Street Transit Center, you'd have a direct connection from the (R) to the (1)).

It's IMPOSSIBLE to reopen the old SF loop, the tracks of the station have been sealed off from the mezanine. The only way to get to the old SF station is through a transfer passage from the new station.

Besides, don't you people know that the old SF station got pretty damaged as well? just look at the platform, the last time I was there there was debree all over the platform.

Yes, yes the loop station is a non starter now and beating a dead horse. The only ones talking about it are those who refuses to give up on stuff as crazy as the BG shuttle. And that's a good point checkmate, I do agree that $500 mil for one complex is just too much. And on top of the $400 mil it cost to build it. So if the feds covers 75-90% of the costs, it will mean $50-125mil out of the MTA's pocket. I'm sure that money could be used for other things like fixing up the Sea Beach lines which really needs to be repaired especially after the flooding by Sandy.

So they'll fix up the SF station now, but if the next storm hits, I really doubt it's worth the cost to rebuild it again if it costs even half the $500mil tag. Even the fed is probably going to give up on the funding aid.

So they'll fix up the SF station now, but if the next storm hits, I really doubt it's worth the cost to rebuild it again if it costs even half the $500mil tag. Even the fed is probably going to give up on the funding aid.

I was wondering about that too. As well as the Rockaway IND for that matter. But it was stated that the MTA is considering options to prevent storm surges destroying infrastructure again(storm doors etc, the Bloomberg endorsed engineering study on the feasibility of constructing levees, etc.). Stay tuned......

What About Shuttle Buses? Coney Island Station Had To be rebuilt and All the People used shuttle Buses. But why would the Mta Spend Money Just Making Shuttle Buses Go 1 Stop? That's a Pro

No-one mentioned that. You are very contradictory. You make a point and find a counterargument. By the way, shuttles will not work in Lower Manhattan very well.

What About Shuttle Buses? Coney Island Station Had To be rebuilt and All the People used shuttle Buses. But why would the Mta Spend Money Just Making Shuttle Buses Go 1 Stop? That's a Pro

Have you been in that area? Apples to oranges. CI included as many as 2 other stops that were closed (brighton line) and that was a few years of reconstruction. You'd be able to walk faster to the SF station than on the bus. Plus there are other bus lines running above.

There are already plenty of buses that pull right up to the ferry terminal.  And what the hell? It's a 5-10 minute walk from the closest stations to that terminal.  People need to just get the damned exercise already.

There are already plenty of buses that pull right up to the ferry terminal.  And what the hell? It's a 5-10 minute walk from the closest stations to that terminal.  People need to just get the damned exercise already.

Agree totally, but it doesn't mean everyone wants to do that.  Some people are either:

1. Very lazy.

2. Fearful for whatever reason of walking outside even for just a few blocks no matter how safe the neighborhood is.

3. A combination of both.

4. Having difficulty walking more than a few blocks at any one time.

It surprises me there has yet to be an outcry to reopen old SF no matter how difficult/impossible it would be to do so, but some of that may be that some office buildings and other buildings have yet to reopen three months after Sandy.

Right now, It's a little bit inconvenient for people coming from Penn Station to reach South Ferry, before the (1) takes you right down there, and people use that stop for more than just to go to Staten Island. Asking people to transfer at Fulton for the (4)/(5) isn't the greatest solution because that transfer is a long winded walk up and down stairs and you have to walk through the (A)/© platform, I've done it before transferred from the (3) to an uptown (5) that corridor is endless. Its nearly as bad as the maze of a station known as Canal St.

As for walking outside, do you wanna do any extra walking in this kind of weather?

Agree totally, but it doesn't mean everyone wants to do that.  Some people are either:

1. Very lazy.

2. Fearful for whatever reason of walking outside even for just a few blocks no matter how safe the neighborhood is.

3. A combination of both.

4. Having difficulty walking more than a few blocks at any one time.

It surprises me there has yet to be an outcry to reopen old SF no matter how difficult/impossible it would be to do so, but some of that may be that some office buildings and other buildings have yet to reopen three months after Sandy.

My point is there are alternative options that are just as good if not better than whats been suggested right now.  Those are hardly good excuses not to consider them.

Archived