Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

Wait your suppose to get permission to edit these maps? No one told me on Trainz Forums  I use these track maps and edit them to show people my progress. No one told me about this....

Well back to the idea-

I just dont understand how a station could be destroyed in 5 days by a cat.2 Hurricane. Hurricane Irene last year did the lesser damage. Heres an Idea-

Remember when 9/11 happened and the (1) Was Rerouted to the (3)? How about This

(9) Van Cortland- South Ferry A.K.A Rector St

(1) Van Cortland -New Lots Ave

(3) Harlem-14 St.

Im not sure about this idea but it would really help bringing the (9) back.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually SF loop can hold 6 cars (just like 145 on the (3)), but you can only open 5 at a time...but that's not the point...

ADA laws specify that all new stations built after 1990 MUST be within ADA compliances. Unless you want a lawsuit on your hands.

Oh god, not the revive the (9), Crap too...

LOL, Foamers will be foamers,  They want 

the (9) Back as much as the (K)  (W) and they want the South Ferry Loop open as much as they'd love 91st Street, Bergen Street Lower Level, and Worth Street to reopen smh..

Like I said Foamer's will be Foamer's

The  (9) is done. It's been gone for nearly 10 years at this point and even dreaming of bringing it back is, to be blatant, beyond stupid.

As for the old South Ferry Station, it could just be a temporary station. There are plenty of stations that aren't ADA. If it was just for three years while the station was being renovated, I don't think it'd be that bad. It'd be more so for commuters than subway fans foaming from the mouth. Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA, but there's a loophole to nearly everything....

Actually SF loop can hold 6 cars (just like 145 on the (3)), but you can only open 5 at a time...but that's not the point...

ADA laws specify that all new stations built after 1990 MUST be within ADA compliances. Unless you want a lawsuit on your hands.

Prosecutors are not going to get positive media exposure. I imagine that would keep their hands tied.

This is exactly what I would now be ordering if I were Cuomo.  It's obvious at this point re-opening the current (1) station won't happen at all in 2013 and very likely 2014 or even '15.  Given this, re-opening the old (1) station at SF and returning to the way it was done before 2009 may have to happen.

Would not be surprised if some elected official pressure the (MTA) to do this soon.  In this particular case, perhaps an ADA waiver could be given because this is a case of putting a station back into service due to a natural disaster knocking out the station it replaced.  I would anyone saying otherwise would have to realize this is a special case, and if necessary, ADA work could be done while the station is open in order to faciltate those demands since the station would likely be open for a minimum of two years under this set of circumstances..

One problem.....

The main entrance that WAS the old south ferry station is being built over to some shop......took a glimpse of it yesterday

Good luck with that!

Foamers causing users to leave? Who didn't see that coming? I sense this is going to be a regular trend soon. Snowblock if your around please come back, but if you decide not too some of us will understand.

I don't wanna be offensive but I cannot stand foamers and I do not blame people leaving because them.

I fully understand that but maybe just maybe the foamers are the one's who should leave, not anyone else.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="R32 3352" data-cid="634347" data-time="1358566145"><p>

The (9) is done. It's been gone for nearly 10 years at this point and even dreaming of bringing it back is, to be blatant, beyond stupid.<br />

<br />

As for the old South Ferry Station, it could just be a temporary station. There are plenty of stations that aren't ADA. If it was just for three years while the station was being renovated, I don't think it'd be that bad. It'd be more so for commuters than subway fans foaming from the mouth. Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA, but there's a loophole to nearly everything....</p></blockquote>

You completely missed what I was saying...

All stations built AFTER 1990 must be ADA accessible

If you are re-opening the loop, it MUST be within ADA compliances

I think bringing the South Ferry loop should be temporary. I think it would be finished in 2014 but for these years I think we need a South Ferry loop to open for temporary service only. After that, it's (the South Ferry loop) is closed again and normal service resumes. But it would be better if Bowling Green serves Battery Park for now.

Fresh Pond, you can try explaining it to them, but it won't work. It's like this old Chinese proverb "It goes in one ear, but out the other." There is no point in trying to work with these fools. They have been saying and repeating the same things over and over again regardless of how many times people have explained that it won't work. That's not normal, but psychopathy in the making.

As for bringing back the loop. I don't think we should. It would cost a lot to make the loop ADA compliant, and it would just be a short fix. Plus the loop already had it's share of problems in operation. I don't think it should be done case closed. A cheaper option would be to have a shuttle bus between Rector Street and South Ferry for all commuters.

The old south ferry , the loop... It won't open at all not just because the ADA stuff but because there is no need... Bowling Green (4) and (5) is up the block practically from the South Ferry Station (1) If the MTA Wanted to use the South Ferry station they would of used it by now, but no they are using it as a turn around track not stopping at South Ferry etc, besides I think the station entrance was built over.

Fresh Pond, you can try explaining it to them, but it won't work. It's like this old Chinese proverb "It goes in one ear, but out the other." There is no point in trying to work with these fools. They have been saying and repeating the same things over and over again regardless of how many times people have explained that it won't work. That's not normal, but psychopathy in the making.

As for bringing back the loop. I don't think we should. It would cost a lot to make the loop ADA compliant, and it would just be a short fix. Plus the loop already had it's share of problems in operation. I don't think it should be done case closed. A cheaper option would be to have a shuttle bus between Rector Street and South Ferry for all commuters.

Yea man ya heard about them opening Worth street, The Loop and all them other stations back to the public??? smh damn foamers -_-

I agree with you though on what you said but remember Bowling Green is up the block.

Some people wanna' see the old loop reopen just so they can foam the crap outta' it with there camera's and so on. 

I give it till Jan 2014 Max to fix up that station, the way the new south ferry station is in the pictures currently I ain't seeing much damage that will cause it to need a 2015 or 2016 reopening.

Like LTA1992 Said, The Chambers fire  was fixed up/completed in less time then expected. 

The only way I see south ferry reopening in 2015 is if they are gonna' pull a smith-9th Street stunt (may I call it that lol)

but still highly unlikely. 

The people that are talking about bringing back the South Ferry Loop are foamers. You would just have to ignore them. They are people that won't change.

Here, let me help you all with this.

f**k the cameras, f**k the foamers, f**k foaming, f**k the people who think it's foaming, f**k the ADA, f**k Bowling Green.

None of that is helping me get to the damn ferry on time. Some may say "it's a short walk from Bowling Green" - Those extra minutes count. The time spent walking could be the difference between getting on the boat or having to wait another half an hour.

Here, let me help you all with this.

f**k the cameras, f**k the foamers, f**k foaming, f**k the people who think it's foaming, f**k the ADA, f**k Bowling Green.

None of that is helping me get to the damn ferry on time. Some may say "it's a short walk from Bowling Green" - Those extra minutes count. The time spent walking could be the difference between getting on the boat or having to wait another half an hour.

I understand you because I'm in a ****hole neighborhood  where nothing really runs.... 

I understand that every second counts and the MTA never helps out I guess it's safe to say that for now you just gotta' time it, take the (R) to Whitehall?

If a 1 train were to be platformed adjacent to the gapfillers, the sixth car would be fully platformed at south ferry, and there would be a full carlength open in front of the train. (Yes, I have made the measurements. :) )

I thought the old station could actually platform seven cars,

Regardless of whether the old station is re-opened or not as a temporary station (and I would think the (MTA) could get a waiver from ADA requirements in this case due to the special situation that caused the potential need to re-open it temporarily), long term, it may be time to see if it's feasible (and cheaper) to add enough room to the station so full 10-car trains can platform at a fully renovated, ADA-compliant old SF.  It could very well be cheaper to renovate and expand the old loop station than to try and fix the current one given how badly damaged the old one was by Sandy.

Archived