Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some people wanna' see the old loop reopen just so they can foam the crap outta' it with there camera's and so on. 

I give it till Jan 2014 Max to fix up that station, the way the new south ferry station is in the pictures currently I ain't seeing much damage that will cause it to need a 2015 or 2016 reopening.

Like LTA1992 Said, The Chambers fire  was fixed up/completed in less time then expected. 

The only way I see south ferry reopening in 2015 is if they are gonna' pull a smith-9th Street stunt (may I call it that lol)

but still highly unlikely. 

The south ferry incident cannot even be compaired to the chambers street fire. All of the electical equipment in station is damaged, and has to be taken out completely and replaced. That alone is probaby gonna at least take 1 1/2 years to fix.

The south ferry incident cannot even be compaired to the chambers street fire. All of the electical equipment in station is damaged, and has to be taken out completely and replaced. That alone is probaby gonna at least take 1 1/2 years to fix.

Yea but still its not gonna be like a 3-4 year job like they are saying ya' know unless they pull some smith-9th street stuff on everyone.

Smfh...

1. you can't extend the loop since the switches to/from the inner loop are right there outside the station

2. The station was closed, therefore not in revenue service. To reactivate the station for passenger use is still the same as building one from scratch, therefore it must be within ADA compliances.

...theres no way around it, the station is not being put into use ever again. Its just gonna sit there and gather dust like the City Hall loop, Worth St, 18 St, 91 St, and Myrtle Av.

Get over it already

P.S...if it's really that much of a hassle where you think you're gonna miss your boat, leave earlier

This forum is soon going to be crawling with them. *shivers at the thought*

Oh will you shut up. You and most of the people who critize the so called "foamers" are just as bad. Firstly, whenever any of you "foamer haters"  diagree with a person you never really give a logical reason as to why that person is wrong, you just dismiss the idea because you think that some-how you know it all. Secondly why do you give the people who make the bad ideas so much attention, just drop it, if a person has a bad idea then just ignore it that way it will die on its own.

I am not specifically attacking you, I'm just attacking all of these self-proclaimed jack asses who think they have the answers to everything. If any of you grown up babies have a problem with basic speech ignore it and focus on the topic at hand, because reading your conversations is just sickening.

The 8th avenue ramp itself is not ADA compliant, and it ends at a flight of stairs. It is useless for wheelchair access. 

Such a ramp would not make South Ferry compliant either, as it does nothing to the gap. The south ferry loop platform itself is the problem for ADA. It can not be made ADA compliant.  

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="R32 3352" data-cid="634347" data-time="1358566145"><p>

The (9) is done. It's been gone for nearly 10 years at this point and even dreaming of bringing it back is, to be blatant, beyond stupid.<br />

<br />

As for the old South Ferry Station, it could just be a temporary station. There are plenty of stations that aren't ADA. If it was just for three years while the station was being renovated, I don't think it'd be that bad. It'd be more so for commuters than subway fans foaming from the mouth. Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA, but there's a loophole to nearly everything....</p></blockquote>

You completely missed what I was saying...

All stations built AFTER 1990 must be ADA accessible

If you are re-opening the loop, it MUST be within ADA compliances

That's why I said "Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA" I wasn't completely sure and I wasn't going to present myself like I was. Thank you for letting me know what's what. There wasn't really a need to be snotty about it...

That's why I said "Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA" I wasn't completely sure and I wasn't going to present myself like I was. Thank you for letting me know what's what. There wasn't really a need to be snotty about it...

How was Fresh Pond being snotty about it? He was just making a general point not a personal attack on your intelligence  (Oh boy what a way for me to make my first post here in this thread).

As for the old South Ferry Station, it could just be a temporary station. There are plenty of stations that aren't ADA. If it was just for three years while the station was being renovated, I don't think it'd be that bad. It'd be more so for commuters than subway fans foaming from the mouth. Also, is it really a "new station" if it's being reopened? I'm not sure about the odds and ends of the ADA, but there's a loophole to nearly everything....

That being said, Fresh Pond,  I recall that SnowBlock already gave the inside employee information that that the old South Ferry Station (From the Hurricane Sandy thread where this same subject was discussed, remember?) will not be used as a temporary station as the platform extenders and much of the other equipment has already been torn down. He's most likely correct I'm sure,  It doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, if ever. But yeah, hey anything is possible so your theory holds merit.

3 Things

1. (1) Trains Can Continue To The Old Station if only the first 4 Cars Only open their doors because the gap isnt really big.

2.It shouldn't be Handicap Accessible  No wheelchair can fit over that gap.

3. It has been closed since 2009. The New station will take 3 YEARS  for it to finish. Its better to restore service To the Old South Ferry Station And Demolish That Son Of a Brand New South Ferry Station. Or USE the shuttle platform.

Diito on what I said before. Doubt that will happen. But nevertheless solid on the facts you brought out on the closure dates.

The people that are talking about bringing back the South Ferry Loop ......

Agreed. 1+ But I wouldn't say they are foamers, just to be fair their point is valid as much we know it will never happen. 

Guys chill with the foamer talk. It's not that deep, not that serious. Just my two cents. It's stupid.

While the ADA requirements are there, I don't think that act ever could have considered the possibility of what happened with South Ferry and the fact a replacement, ADA-Compliant station was severely damaged by a "Superstorm" like Sandy actually did, putting the possibility of re-opening an older, non-compliant station like old SF and putting it back into serivice after it was closed because no one could have anticipated an unprecedented storm like Sandy causing that much damage at the time the ADA act became law.  While the law does need to be enforced as a rule, this is where the law needs to be modified to accommodate special situations like that that could never have been foreseeable when the ADA act was enacted.  Again, given WHY it would be done, I would think (and especially if like I would have done if I were Cuomo ordering old SF reopened as quickly as possible) the (MTA) would get a waiver on ADA requirements to reopen old SF given the extremely unique circumstances in this case.

I would not be surprised to see political pressure on the (MTA) to re-open old SF soon.

That's what I was thinking as well.

WAHTS THIS SHOP? ILL BUY THAT SHOP AND TEAR IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT SOUTH FERRY BACK!

(lol i know)

Would you kindly do us all a favor and stay the hell away from this topic?

Oh will you shut up. You and most of the people who critize the so called "foamers" are just as bad. Firstly, whenever any of you "foamer haters"  diagree with a person you never really give a logical reason as to why that person is wrong, you just dismiss the idea because you think that some-how you know it all. Secondly why do you give the people who make the bad ideas so much attention, just drop it, if a person has a bad idea then just ignore it that way it will die on its own.

I am not specifically attacking you, I'm just attacking all of these self-proclaimed jack asses who think they have the answers to everything. If any of you grown up babies have a problem with basic speech ignore it and focus on the topic at hand, because reading your conversations is just sickening.

One of the best damn posts I've read in this thread. Thank you so much!

Guys Come On This Is all my fault. Im the one who brought up the Stupid Bringing back Old South Ferry Idea. Dont blame Each other. Blame me. Lets just get back to discussing the New South Ferry Station. Again blame me.   

No need for an apology, why is it needed anyway

How was Fresh Pond being snotty about it? He was just making a general point not a personal attack on your intelligence  (Oh boy what a way for me to make my first post here in this thread).

Fair enough. Maybe I didn't word correctly. It came across as if I should know what's going on with everything and the fact that I didn't made me stupid. Not sure if thats just over thinking, but I personally was taken back by the response.

On a non-complaining note, I personally think the majority of the people saying they want South Ferry to be reopened is so passenger traffic can continue. If, hypothetically, it was opened again, It would generate more revenue in order to contribute to the rebuilding of the regular station or god knows what else. But, as Fresh Pond said, it would have to be up to par with ADA regulations. Which would probably be finished when the regular station could be reopened. The people foaming from the mouth for it to be reopened don't have a say. But if a commuter petition was created, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a fair amount of positive reception...

Stop with the shit... grow up.

It's as close to an apology as anyone can ask for. Cut him some slack.

=

Agreed r32, I'm on the fence about the loop platform and* only as a temporary measure till the new platform is ready for passenger use again. As for the elevators, weren't some of the recently rebuilt stations along Brighton done without the requirement for elevators? I mean can't there be a waiver? The loop station ran for decades without any major complaints about the lack of one and it would be pointless to install one for just under 3 years and sit unused.

Those stations along the Brighton (and every other station retrofitted with elevators) were built before the law took effect so they are exempt from it. Plus those stations didn't close down permanently (unlike the SF loop), so they dont have to technically have elevators.

Archived