Rebuilding South Ferry

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not the gap fillers. Its the fact that's there's only 1 entrance to the station, and there's nowhere to put another one

...why do you think they built a whole new station in the first place

To sum up the act, any new train station, waiting area, bus, or train built after the law took effect in 1990 MUST have accommodations for handicapped and people using wheelchairs.

Look at the R110s when they came in. They had space for wheelchairs.

Its not the gap fillers. Its the fact that's there's only 1 entrance to the station, and there's nowhere to put another one

...why do you think they built a whole new station in the first placd

And that one entrance area is turning into some sort of shop. I think its a food stand or some shit like that. I saw a sign while peering through the windows, didn't get a good glimpse though.

With that said, I'm not sure why people are still insisting for the old station to be used.....

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Kendell" data-cid="634730" data-time="1358650585"><p>

Okay If South Ferry Cant Reopen What About Making the (1) stop at the (4)(5) Bowling Green Station Still using the loop since its connected between the (1) and the (5).</p></blockquote>

Then how is it gonna get back to 7 Av...

Okay If South Ferry Cant Reopen What About Making the (1) stop at the (4)(5) Bowling Green Station Still using the loop since its connected between the (1) and the (5).

The lack of critical thinking skills exhibited in this post makes me embarassed to be a human.....

If we ever get invaded by aliens, I would apologize to them for the existence of this post.

Okay If South Ferry Cant Reopen What About Making the (1) stop at the (4)(5) Bowling Green Station Still using the loop since its connected between the (1) and the (5).

Because you could just take the trains that already stop there... People are complaining about the walk from there anyway. So that doesn't really solve the problem... 

Those stations along the Brighton (and every other station retrofitted with elevators) were built before the law took effect so they are exempt from it. Plus those stations didn't close down permanently (unlike the SF loop), so they dont have to technically have elevators.

I see, thanks.

And that one entrance area is turning into some sort of shop. I think its a food stand or some shit like that. I saw a sign while peering through the windows, didn't get a good glimpse though.

With that said, I'm not sure why people are still insisting for the old station to be used.....

Interesting about the shop thing. Lol, I hope they don't mind if people (namely TA workers) have to go thru that place to get to the platform for whatever reason. :)

Well, I guess that's pretty much it for me on the loop platform stuff now.

I see, thanks.

Interesting about the shop thing. Lol, I hope they don't mind if people (namely TA workers) have to go thru that place to get to the platform for whatever reason. :)

Well, I guess that's pretty much it for me on the loop platform stuff now.

I'll get a better look and hopefully shoot some pics.

Walking from Rector is faster. Plus this will cause delays for the (4) and (5) lines. Really, this idea makes no sense.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Quill Depot" data-cid="634830" data-time="1358694147"><p>

There is always the M5, the M15/SBS and the M20 buses ready to serve.</p></blockquote> Quill is right there is also bus service as an alternative. The old SF station isn't really a solution It isn't gonna kill anyone to walk a couple blocks. You also have the (R) too.

Now that you guys mention it (Ahem N4 Via Merrick, Grand Concourse), that's what I was saying all along. If the old South Ferry Station is out of commission (No gap fillers anymore, no token booths whatever) then why would the capital construction project planners waste their time rebuilding/reopening the loop, when 1) We have Bowling Green 2) Whitehall Street ? Yeah it would take three years for the MTA to get the new South ferry station going again. But with the alternatives already mentioned for ppl to find access to the ferry, notwithstanding the major labor costs in undiong the dismantling of the old South Ferry Loop, I'm going to conclude that the MTA will not ressurect the loop. Again if they do however I would be pleasantly, foamistically suprised. (OMG. I called myself a foamer, you haters!)

People seem to forget, the walk drom Rector Street is literally 4 minutes. It's just a block further than Bowling green. Not much of an issue.

It's not a block further from Bowling Green, I've walked the distance before. IMO, Bowling Green is a lot more convenient and faster especially if folks have to connect to the ferry.

Hell, when it comes down to the better option, Whitehall works perfectly if people are bitching about the walk. Can't cram everyone who needs the ferry onto the buses.

They should add a cross-under at rector and drop the station. It doesn't seem worth the money.

I really think that's something worth considering along with a connection to the (R) at its Rector St stop. The two Rector St stations are very close to each other and I wonder why a transfer between the (R) and (1) at Rector wasn't seriously considered in the first place.

Archived