SIR with Subway

MattTrain

SIR with (E)(R)

If the (MTA) has a really bold plan, I think this should be made.

Extend the (R) from Bay Ridge, and have it run to Staten Island to connect with the Staten Island Railway either by a Bridge or by a long tunnel. The connection between (R) and SIR will be made at Grasmere station.

Or

Extend the (E) from Lower Manhattan and dig a tunnel to Staten Island. The (E) will meet the SIR at St. George, the north tip of Staten Island and the railway.

I bet this would be too expensive, plus the platforms need to be extended, a lot.

The ferry is the best way to get there from manhattan. It's free, and usually a quite pleasant trip. I think a LRV system linking brooklyn to staten island via the narrows bridge would be very cool.

- Andy

I think extending the (E) would probably be the better plan as it would be a straightforward line. However, like you said, it would be too expensive, so it ain't gonna happen.

That's true, I know it won't happen. It would be cool though.

The ferry is the best way to get there from manhattan. It's free, and usually a quite pleasant trip. I think a LRV system linking brooklyn to staten island via the narrows bridge would be very cool.

- Andy

The Staten Island ferry is a 25 Minute ride from St. George, Staten Island to South Ferry, Manhattan and vice versa. That's cool. I don't think the Verrazano Bridge was designed to hold subway or rail cars, though.

The (E) would work. Right at the end of the WTC Station, the tracks take a good enough dive so that once by that little store just outside fare control, the train and tunnel is under that by just abit. The next stop would have to be South Ferry, would be a very deep underground station so that its under the bed of the bay once departing the station. And for a St George Station, it would be a underground station, pretty much beneath the SIR St George. But this is one of those projects that we'll either never see, or something that will take decades and decades, just like SAS!

The only way the (R) can go to SI is if its tunneled there. But it would be a totally new line (letter) for which I never got to figuring out the starting point for it (got quite a few places).

But for now, SI Ferry is doing it best now, and so are the buses that conenct with Brooklyn.

One of the IND Second System plans had a line going into Staten Island under the bay from Brooklyn. It wasn't the (R) though.

See for yourself. Bottom left.

With your illustration there, the present (F) or (G) train would to Staten Island. The problem is that one route goes to St. George and the other goes to Grant Avenue, doesn't cover the entire SI.

If only that was actually achieved, we'd have a five borough subway system.

• 1 month later...

(E)

I think extending the (E) would probably be the better plan as it would be a straightforward line. However, like you said, it would be too expensive, so it ain't gonna happen.

the (E) will be too close to the bmt (R) and irt (1) tunnels wouldnt it? plus the new fulton complex being built. a provision for a line between si and man was kinda built into the (R) line just south of whitehall st station. heading south look towards the right side and you will see 2 bellmouths for tunnels that points to governrs island. i believe it would turn towards the right and head to si and possibly stop at st. george underground for a transfer to SIR.

Could the Narrows bridge ever be retrofitted to carry rail? I'm supposing not, but that would be an easier fix than a rail tunnel. Also, the rail tunnel from Bay Ridge to SI was proposed long ago with an R extension to SI, but that was downgraded to freight rail alone, which Bloomberg is still interested in.

This is an important idea, but there's also turning the Bay Ridge and Rockaway branches to new subway lines, which might bring about the SI connection.

As much as we would all love to see the (R) or possibly (E) extended from their Current Southern Terminals into Staten Island. However I think what Andy was saying; Light Rail, would be a better solution. If HBLR were to be extended from Bayonne to Staten Island Via the Bayonne Bridge, and run along the "now" abandoned, to then, the "newly" reconstructed North Shore Line to the Ferry, this would be a Vital Transportation Impact on Staten Island. At least then commuters who live on the North Shore Will not only have a new rail line, but one that will take them into Jersey; hence making connections to PATH or the NY Waterway at Hoboken.

Have a look at the Map I created:

map.jpg

Zachary

As much as we would all love to see the (R) or possibly (E) extended from their Current Southern Terminals into Staten Island. However I think what Andy was saying; Light Rail, would be a better solution. If HBLR were to be extended from Bayonne to Staten Island Via the Bayonne Bridge, and run along the "now" abandoned, to then, the "newly" reconstructed North Shore Line to the Ferry, this would be a Vital Transportation Impact on Staten Island. At least then commuters who live on the North Shore Will not only have a new rail line, but one that will take them into Jersey; hence making connections to PATH or the NY Waterway at Hoboken.

map.jpg

Zachary

i personally like the idea of SIR using north shore since technically it already does (Ballpark station), and extending HBLR to Elltingville Transit Center.

i personally like the idea of SIR using north shore since technically it already does (Ballpark station), and extending HBLR to Elltingville Transit Center.

Man, I would love to see 44s or 179s?:P shining the rails along the north shore as well! And your correct, The Ballpark Station is on the North Shore Line. Who knows, perhaps if (MTA) plays their cards right, maybe they will reconstruct it and the Staten Island Railway will once again be more than just a Single Line.

• 4 weeks later...

And also it going to use the North Shore line at all station not just half the North shore line and also use the West Shore Line.

They should NOT Extend the (R). That's a horrible idea. Instead of extending the (R) end, extedn the (SIR) to Bay Ridge, on fourth ave. between Bay ridge Ave. and 95th St. This way it can meet up with the (R) and (X) (not a direct sharing of terminals), not screw up any subway service, and provide SI relief.

map.jpg

Zachary

I like the Idea zach but why not have the SIR run via NJ then to Manhattan on its own route, so it pays the same T/As fares rather then PA/NJTs Fares :D ?

They should NOT Extend the (R). That's a horrible idea. Instead of extending the (R) end, extedn the (SIR) to Bay Ridge, on fourth ave. between Bay ridge Ave. and 95th St. This way it can meet up with the (R) and (X) (not a direct sharing of terminals), not screw up any subway service, and provide SI relief.

To create a bridge connection, or a tunnel, and have it meet the (R) terminal, and not allow a track connection would be considered laughable in any modern plan. Even if the lines remained separate, to not allow such an easy track connection to transfer new cars to SI and vice-versa would probably be a deal-killer. The added difficulty would also have an impact on those who would seek out SI as an easy weekend getaway (Perhaps something SI'ers want :D ).

I know it could, but what I'm saying is that if they go as far as that, then they would just go the whole hog. Though, if this were to happen, then they would likely do it in stages so that it eventually would be a transfer point, then a connection for car transfers, and finally a full line extension. (Somwhat like the 2nd avenue plan)

Hey, running a new line on R trackage that originates in Manhattan or uptown Brooklyn and allowing for cross-platform transfer would be fine by me. However, having a SIRT line terminating in Bay Ridge, or an (R) that terminated at St George is a little short-sighted to say the least. To institute another needless hurdle as one enters or leaves the island in this day and age would clearly smack of the separatist attitude of some SIslanders.

• 1 year later...

lets not forget now...the (R) train runs under 4th avenue in brooklyn where it curves east toward coney island...now if it were to be extended it would have to make a very sharp curve after bay ridge/95th street or there would be a branch off after the 86th street station. i would think to connect the (E) with the (R) after the World Trade Center stop to Whitehall St. Then the lower level of the city hall station could be rebuilt and could make a sharp curve over the brooklyn bridge making stops at high street/cadman plaza transfer for the (A),(C) and flatbush avenue transfer for the (B),(Q), and (F) trains. the line would then continue up the old myrtle avenue el and would replace the (M) train with the (W). make the (Z) run the old (M) line rush hours only nassau street and west end exp. the (J) train would then become the all time nassau street lcl. with the extra/leftover (M) trainsets you can add more (J) train service. i'll put up a map later :cool:

Edit:

oh and i forgot to say the most important part...since the new (1) train terminal is built at south ferry and it is no longer curved...just extend the (1) to st.george and create a new route via victory blvd to eltingville transit center via staten island mall. then connect the bellmouths after whitehall street on the (E),(R) to st.georgr and the staten island railway directly. not sure if you want to call it a whole new line ((H)(K)-revise the bullets on trains) or just an extension (probally of the (E))...idk :P:rock: :lock:

Archived