Sudden Sharp Turns and Possibility for Smoothing

CenSin

Actually there's a news story on the MTA site that tangentially relates to this discussion. 

Last week, I was on a Queens-bound (M) in the 53rd St Tube, and someone had left a window open. It was a lot quieter than I'd expected it to be. 

Turns out, that's one of the places where they've started to implement a new track tie technique. 

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=942

27_large.jpg

Full details at the link, but they're using concrete ties, pre fitted with rubber-damped rail holders, and using an epoxy mixture to refit them into the existing roadbed, without removing all the concrete. 

Next time you're queens-bound in the 53rd St tube, take a moment to note the ride quality. 

Here's hoping that this technique is the new standard, because from what I've noticed, the ride improvement is superb. 

Actually there's a news story on the MTA site that tangentially relates to this discussion. 

Last week, I was on a Queens-bound (M) in the 53rd St Tube, and someone had left a window open. It was a lot quieter than I'd expected it to be. 

Turns out, that's one of the places where they've started to implement a new track tie technique. 

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=942

27_large.jpg

Full details at the link, but they're using concrete ties, pre fitted with rubber-damped rail holders, and using an epoxy mixture to refit them into the existing roadbed, without removing all the concrete. 

Next time you're queens-bound in the 53rd St tube, take a moment to note the ride quality. 

Here's hoping that this technique is the new standard, because from what I've noticed, the ride improvement is superb. 

Oh yeah I think thats already been done on the Essex Street tunnel because I was on an (F) that was making the turn from Delancey Street to 2nd Avenue and I couldnt tell it was turning until I looked up, it really works

Oh yeah I think thats already been done on the Essex Street tunnel because I was on an (F) that was making the turn from Delancey Street to 2nd Avenue and I couldnt tell it was turning until I looked up, it really works
I believe all of the tunnels and elevated structures built by the IND have huge radii for curves, except for some switches (which were not intended to be actively used like the ones north of Bergen Street on the Crosstown line). The tracks can only do so much for speed and a smoother ride under the constraints of the structure. No amount of track work between City Hall and Rector Street will make the ride on the (N) or (R) much better because of the tunnels.

• 3 weeks later...

The (J)(Z) right north of Chambers Street has a few switches and needs smoothing. That servered connection to the Nassau loop needs to be closed off. I made a Chambers Street renovation map.

pm_lower_manhattan_zps4182f3c2.png

The area around the Manhattan Bridge storage tracks can be redone, but I don't know about south of Chambers Street. There seems to be a lot going on down there.

Agreed: Whatever it's called it makes for a smooth ride.

I'm hoping this was a pilot program for a new standard roadbed type, because the ride over the viaduct is always quite pleasant (passengers nonwithstanding) even on an extra-bouncy R68.

It's the Sonneville Low Vibration Track system. Uses a rubber boot for the concrete ties to reduce vibrations.

http://www.sonneville.com/low-vibration-track-lvt/

There's actually a system for switches, too.

http://www.sonneville.com/low-vibration-track-lvt/lvt-for-points-lvt-s-c/

...But the MTA half-assed it as usual and just used wooden ties for the new switches on the Culver viaduct.

It's the Sonneville Low Vibration Track system. Uses a rubber boot for the concrete ties to reduce vibrations.

http://www.sonneville.com/low-vibration-track-lvt/

There's actually a system for switches, too.

http://www.sonneville.com/low-vibration-track-lvt/lvt-for-points-lvt-s-c/

...But the MTA half-assed it as usual and just used wooden ties for the new switches on the Culver viaduct.

Wood ties for the crossover wasn't the TA "half-assing" the job, Most switches are on wood ties to reduce wear on the tracks and trains. 

Wood ties for the crossover wasn't the TA "half-assing" the job, Most switches are on wood ties to reduce wear on the tracks and trains. 

As opposed to concrete ties in rubber boots specifically designed to reduce vibration, wear and costs? Did they determine that wood was better to use for those switches based on results other customers saw from using the LVT tech for switches? If so, then I completely understand. I guess my question is: was the decision made based off hard facts or assumptions?

I don't know how it was before the Culver Rehab, but there are now timers going Manhattan-bound from Smith-9 Sts down into the portal. They are the new signals too, and they suck. With the sun glare, you can't even tell it's a timer until you are really, really close. I found that out first-hand when I operated over the Viaduct when we went on our R160 joyride last month.

is there any way they can improve that?

I was always under the impression that the TA was too cheap to make custom ties for the switches, but it seems that the LIRR has plenty of them (fully concrete on track segments and switches). I saw them overhead from the Flushing line.

Maybe someone who is close to the decision-making process on what ties and ballast to use can enlighten us on the pros and cons of the methods…

Archived