The Right Equipment for NY?

thirdavel

Since I last lived in NYC, the trains that we regularly rode in Brooklyn were to Myrtle Avenue line (with those old dwooden cars) and the old GG. We lived on the campus of Pratt Institute and those lines were our neighborhood lines. That was in 1968. Now, the rolling stock has evolved into genric blobs, and I'm wondering...............are these the trains that will be best in the long run? For one thing, the exterior design and finish are boring. The interiors, I feel are pretty good. They are layed out as needed and even those cool blue hues are pleasing to the eye. What gets me is that these cars have no emotional connection the way older types did. I'm not saying "turn back the clock" to older designs. I know that isn't practical. What I'd hope to see is the system trying new designs the way the BRT/BMT did years ago. I also know research and development are costly, but how else would there be any improvements on the equipment? This is not meant to be an argument, a serious discussion or anything like that. I just want to know how others feel about it. With budget constraints being what they are, I wouldn't expect there to be many ideas that can have an immediate impact. Over in London, they have completely re-vamped their rolling stock. The two completely different types of units they use, will now share design elements to make them have similar looks. yet, they will still have their individuality in the type of service they are used for, which has been their tradition since the beginning. The current look of NY's cars evolved into something of a modern 50's look with rounded edges. That's okay, but that stainless steel looks like old garbage cans when it ages. I also realize that painting them would make grafitti quite easy. But there are painted surfaces out there that resist it. Take a look at the PA5's on the PATH system. They at least have blue at each end. That makes them stand out. In NY's past, they tried many different livery combinations. too bad they don't return to that practice. (K)(N)(A)(R)(F)(M)(G)(7)(6)<4>(2)

As much as I like the new car designs I am hoping for something different and fresh. I wouldn't like the entire B division with one design. I think they will eventually look into different designs.

There was a similar but different thread here for you to check out if you haven't already.

I also realize that painting them would make grafitti quite easy. But there are painted surfaces out there that resist it.

Redbirds. Case in point. And yeah, I think the new rolling stock is pretty dull aesthetically. At least from the R32/33WF to the R46 you had some design differences, but starting with the R62s they all look like stainless steel boxes now. I'm not saying they're completely bad but it's just more of the same. Yeah, I agree with Harry. After the R160s are in it might be time for a change.

Most major cities around the world do not have to contend with grafitti. Look and London with their white livery. The paint is supposed to be grafitti proof. Don't know how they do it though. New Yorks cars are perfect for multi-colored schemes and could easily be brightened up. And yes, some sort of aero look might be welcome after seeing elongated ice cubes coming down the tracks!

Since I last lived in NYC, the trains that we regularly rode in Brooklyn were to Myrtle Avenue line (with those old dwooden cars) and the old GG. We lived on the campus of Pratt Institute and those lines were our neighborhood lines. That was in 1968. Now, the rolling stock has evolved into genric blobs, and I'm wondering...............are these the trains that will be best in the long run? For one thing, the exterior design and finish are boring. The interiors, I feel are pretty good. They are layed out as needed and even those cool blue hues are pleasing to the eye. What gets me is that these cars have no emotional connection the way older types did. I'm not saying "turn back the clock" to older designs. I know that isn't practical. What I'd hope to see is the system trying new designs the way the BRT/BMT did years ago. I also know research and development are costly, but how else would there be any improvements on the equipment? This is not meant to be an argument, a serious discussion or anything like that. I just want to know how others feel about it. With budget constraints being what they are, I wouldn't expect there to be many ideas that can have an immediate impact. Over in London, they have completely re-vamped their rolling stock. The two completely different types of units they use, will now share design elements to make them have similar looks. yet, they will still have their individuality in the type of service they are used for, which has been their tradition since the beginning. The current look of NY's cars evolved into something of a modern 50's look with rounded edges. That's okay, but that stainless steel looks like old garbage cans when it ages. I also realize that painting them would make grafitti quite easy. But there are painted surfaces out there that resist it. Take a look at the PA5's on the PATH system. They at least have blue at each end. That makes them stand out. In NY's past, they tried many different livery combinations. too bad they don't return to that practice. (K)(N)(A)(R)(F)(M)(G)(7)(6)<4>(2)

I agree ......I would hate to see all the trains looking exactly the same within the next 20 years....it would certainly put a great damper on the reason why I love the NYC Subway

I agree the MTA should try to stay diverse with their fleets, but since the MTA is making these huge orders, like for example the R160 order, replacing a few whole fleets.

But one thing, the MTA is trying to keep it fresh. I think it is....

The continuous use of stainless steel will make them all end up looking like the old stuff that's out there now. I just wonder what alternative materials could be cost effectively used to give them color, shape and strength. There has to bne something out there.(S)

Archived