Numbers never used by the MTA (and most recently used for the 1st time)

aemoreira81

Curious: which numbers (3 or 4 digits) have never been used by the the New York City Transit Authority, the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, or MTA Bus Company for buses? (Never used does not include numbers proposed to be used but for which units were scrapped.) In addition, what is the latest that any number has been used for the first time? This is born out of something I saw online that number 3493 has been used only twice.

The one that comes to my mind most easily is bus 1859, and I don't believe that 990-995 and 999 have ever been used. I also believe that 996-998 have been used one time only.

Curious: which numbers (3 or 4 digits) have never been used by the the New York City Transit Authority, the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, or MTA Bus Company for buses? (Never used does not include numbers proposed to be used but for which units were scrapped.) In addition, what is the latest that any number has been used for the first time? This is born out of something I saw online that number 3493 has been used only twice.

The one that comes to my mind most easily is bus 1859, and I don't believe that 990-995 and 999 have ever been used. I also believe that 996-998 have been used one time only.

Are you not including LI bus? Because some of those numbers you listed were used in Nassau.

Did the MTA ever use #100? What buses had the 700's before the MTA bus Orion V CNG's?

Twice...for the preserved GMC New Look 5301 and for a Grumman 870 (both had orders that started with a single-digit bus numbered 1).

The 700s were used previously for the same batch of 870s.

the only thing safe to say is hit the 5-digit range with the exception of demo buses in the 90s and the first batch of Orion V's in 1993. There were two demo's in 92 that used 92xxx. One was a Neoplan Artic tested on the M15 and the other was the MCI demo that lead to the first batch of OTR's 

Nope, the D60s that ran up until a year ago were 1000-1109.

This is a decent question (mad anorak-y though haha) but my guess is just about everything has been used at least once in the past 70 years. Better to go by decades, I think.

Did the MTA ever use #100? What buses had the 700's before the MTA bus Orion V CNG's?

Twice...for the preserved GMC New Look 5301 and for a Grumman 870 (both had orders that started with a single-digit bus numbered 1).

The 700s were used previously for the same batch of 870s.

Technically, New Look 100 does not count because that was pre-MTA. (1959).

I remember Bus 200 of the New Look.  It must have been some sort of test because I only saw it once on the B46 and never again. It was unlike all other New Looks at the time.  All seats except the six behind the driver were forward facing.  They may even have had soft seating.  the rear door was in four parts like the old Macks, not two like all the other New Looks.  Most unusual was that it was the only bus painted blue on the outside, not green like all the others. 

I've always wondered about that bus and  don't think anyone else remembers it but me.

Technically, New Look 100 does not count because that was pre-MTA. (1959).

I remember Bus 200 of the New Look.  It must have been some sort of test because I only saw it once on the B46 and never again. It was unlike all other New Looks at the time.  All seats except the six behind the driver were forward facing.  They may even have had soft seating.  the rear door was in four parts like the old Macks, not two like all the other New Looks.  Most unusual was that it was the only bus painted blue on the outside, not green like all the others. 

I've always wondered about that bus and  don't think anyone else remembers it but me.

MTA was created in 1953.

Archived