Off duty 911 operator saves MTA bus from armed teen

Blitz

Another example of "See Something, Say Something" being used against innocent Americans if you ask me. A man with a gun is not a threat unless and until he uses it to commit a crime. Now, I'm not gonna say this guy wasn't a criminal, but if I saw a man with a gun on the bus I'm not gonna report him unless he's doing something wrong with the gun. If he gets on the bus, pays his fare and sits down normally with a gun in his pants that he takes out and STORES AWAY in his big, no normal person would report that just because the man has a gun that's "illegal" in NYC because of our fascist gun laws when he's doing no harm with in and likely has it for self defense. But this is NY, so I guess I can't be surprised. 

Just remember everyone, in other parts of the country where most guns and even open carry are legal, walking around with a gun is considered NORMAL. You're not automatically a criminal if you carry a gun around in NYC, even if guns are "illegal".

However, the guns in this case turned out to be stolen (from Delaware) and the guy was acting suspiciously. This may end up leading back to a gang. In addition, he probably can't legally own because of prior convictions.

Yup, they can make the gun laws the strictest in the nation, but it means squat when you have criminals like that 'kid' getting his hands on an illegally obtained gun.

The one who made it known was the woman whispering to her boyfriend (it kind of defeated the purpose if the guy heard her. LOL)

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. That or maybe she was too obvious in staring at the guy while 'whispering'.

Not even then. It has to do with putting other passengers in immediate danger. Another example would be how passengers cannot transport hazardous materials/substances on the bus, such as gasoline.

Ok, fair enough.

I wouldn't have made it known that I was aware of the kid's handgun, that was her biggest mistake, good thing he didn't just get up and shoot her right there on the spot

Lol, that's what I was thinking in this. I see somebody pull a gun (and it happens from time to time), first thing I do is walk the other way -- not gonna think about any 911 calls when the guy I'm calling in to be arrested is right in front of me.

Guest Charles
I don't give a damn, if he comes on the bus with a gun and I don't see him commit any REAL crime (and no, I don't consider the awful offense of possession of a gun in NYC a crime) I'm not gonna be a good little tattle tale and call the cops when what could be an innocent American citizen is going to be arrested and treated like a hardcore criminal for simply owning a gun that could very well be for SELF-DEFENSE.

I believe that is due to federal regulations, firearms can't openly be transported on buses.

Stuff like this, I don't give benefit of the doubt whatsoever. If you're a law-abiding, innocent American citizen simply exercising 2nd Amendment rights (and are aware of all the current events going on, which you better be if you're a licensed gun owner,) you damn well know not to openly flash a firearm, and of all places on a public bus in New York City? 

This teen? 100% idiotic.

Stuff like this, I don't give benefit of the doubt whatsoever. If you're a law-abiding, innocent American citizen simply exercising 2nd Amendment rights (and are aware of all the current events going on, which you better be if you're a licensed gun owner,) you damn well know not to openly flash a firearm, and of all places on a public bus in New York City? 

This teen? 100% idiotic.

Absolutely!

I think this person (the operator) did what everyone should do.
For people who find it abnormal I think it is better to apply the precautionary principle. While some may think the Stalin era where everyone felt watched : there it is for a good cause.

If it is a law of the State of New York, the person was 8 years old or 80 years old is allowed to carry a weapon especially without a permit.
If the person had all the permits to carry a weapon I think the police response would have to verify this and to reassure the people who saw this weapon.
Would you have any remorse if you read in the newspapers later that the person was fired afer he get-off of the bus?

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

Frankly, while this is an interesting story, I don't see why it made it to the news. Off duty cops and corrections officers do this type of thing fairly often and it usually does not make the news. Also, isn't there a way to text the 911 call center directly now? 

Regardless, this guy deserved to get arrested. Only a moron carries a gun in his pants and then moves it to his backpack in full view of people. Those who have concealed weapons permits in New York know how to properly conceal and transport their weapon so that nobody sees it. This kid sounds like a wannabe punk.

Well we know my stance on gun control already so I'll keep my comment short and not get into this debate.

The Second Amendment allows us to carry concealled firearms in carry states at least so we can protect ourselves from criminals. It's a fundamental human right to protect our own lives and our families. End of discussion!

But QM1, I totally agree. The stupid kid deserves to be arrested just for being a friggin idiot if nothing more. Really STUPID. Kids trying to be hard and sh!t carrying heat trying to prove something to the world instead of getting an education and a job and becoming productive citizens of society. You said a mouthful right there and won't add to that.

@ Turbo: +1 !

However, the guns in this case turned out to be stolen (from Delaware) and the guy was acting suspiciously. This may end up leading back to a gang. In addition, he probably can't legally own because of prior convictions.

I think so too. He said he carried it for "protection", and with the areas the S40 passes through, gang involvement wouldn't be out of the question.

In any case, I found two more articles, with more details (I know, it's kinda hypocritical for me to say I hate to SI Advance, while posting their articles, but whatever)

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2013/01/911_operator_rises_to_the_occa.html

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2013/01/cops_staten_island_teen_found.html

He claims he was on the way to the stationhouse to drop them off, but the bus was heading in the wrong direction.

As for the bus type, well, not that it matters, but I used to catch this run going towards the ferry, and it used to be an O5 most of the time.

In any case, criminals get dumber and dumber. Aside from taking out a gun in plain view, once he realized somebody saw him, the smart thing to do would be to leave the bus.

Nevermind all of that. There is no transit agency in the United States Of America that allows any individual to open carry a weapon on board any of its vehicles, even in open carry states.

Incorrect. SEPTA does, even though they don't like it. 

In a way, I'll agree with that. Flashing a gun in public in NY is one of the stupidest things you can do with the laws we have and the way most cops (and government in general) treat innocent gun owners.

1) Innocent gun owner, which he WASN'T

2) It's not stupid cause cops'll "treat you badly" (aka completely appropriately), it's stupid cause you're whipping out a friggin firearm in public for no reason...

Just about everybody knows that flashing firearms is prohibited from our buses (and our streets, for that matter). Even ttcsubwayfan from Canada knows that, but you don't, apparently...

I been knew that, I just think that the law needs to change. People need to be armed.

MHV: maybe Alex Jones has to say 'it's bad to flash guns in the public spaces' for him to understand. ;)

You're such a mindless idiot. Alex is just stating the facts. Anyone with a half useful brain would know that guns reduce violence, not increase it. I ask you, have violent crime dropped since guns were banned here?

Archived