Stations NOT On The Streets They Are Named After

StevenFrancis

Hewes St (J)

Gates Av (J)

Chauncey St (J)

Well actually I think their only exit is on those streets, like if it doesnt haveone exit on the named street, I think its ridiculous.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Lafayette Ave on the (C)

Thank you, Ive been waiting for that one, that one wouldve been my #1 answer, since all its exits are on South Portland Avenue, Greene Avenue, South Oxford Avenue, and Fulton Street

The exit for Hewes St is on Hooper St...

The entrance for Gates Av is on Palmetto & Bway and the emergency exit is on Bway & Howard. The middle of the station actually sits over Gates.

The entrance for Chauncey St is on Bway & Cooper, while the emergency exit is on Bway & Chauncey

I remember on the F train the Neptune Ave station used to be named "Van Sicklen", Not Van Sicklen St or ave...just "Van Sicklen".. According to the wiki, the station bore the name of the family that once owned the land in which the station was originally built way back when the line ran on grade. It was probably the only station in the system that simply referenced a land owner's name as opposed to an actual place name like a street, avenue, or neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_Avenue_%28IND_Culver_Line%29

Funny no-one mentioned this, 59th and Lex, (N)(R)(Q) is not actually on 59th.

This station is simply known as Lexington Avenue, even though there also is a 3rd Avenue exit, both on 60th Street.  I have not heard that station referred to as "59th Street" (even if it is connected to the (4)(5)(6) station that does have that name) in years (and of course, the 5th Avenue station also has an exit at 60th Street).

@Wallyhorse: The official subway maps call the Broadway stations "Lexington Av/59 St" and "5 Av/59 St". The latter gets a pass because it does have an exit that's actually on 59th Street (excuse me, Central Park South), but the former is only named as such to minimize confusion.

What are you all talking about? Both 5th Ave and Lexington Ave have exits at 59 St. Infact, 59/Lex has exits on all 4 corners of that intersection!

We are referring to the Lexington Avenue Station on the (N)(Q)(R), which actually runs under 60th Street and has it's exit independent from the (4)(5)(6) station at 3rd Avenue and 60th Street.  The Lexington Avenue Line station of course has the exits on 59th Street (and on 60th/Lex), but we are specifically referring to the Broadway Line station.

Archived