Stations NOT On The Streets They Are Named After

StevenFrancis

Bruckner Blvd now refers to the Bruckner Expwy service road as well as a short segment west of the Triboro Bridge. Van Wyck Blvd is long gone, that was turned into an expressway in the late 40s and early 50s. 

i know that. I grew up between Bruckner and Story Ave. But everyone always called it Bruckber Blvd and not Expressway.

But that was a different time.....lol

Also, Ditmars Blvd. 

and Neptune Av on the F.  The exit once was on Neptune Avenue, but the street moved and the exit did not.

What about station names with no street in their name? Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Borough Hall, City Hall, South Ferry, others? 

I wouldnt get rid of those names on the stop. it would be nice if they subtitle what the street is connecting to. They should done like "Coney Island Stillwell Ave."  

Got me racking my brain about this lol...

4 Av-9 St (F)(G)... Only way you can find an exit that directly goes to 9 St is through the (R) platform.

96 St (1)(2)(3)...since the renovations, the entrance/exit is now mid-block between 95 & 96 Sts

Cortlandt St (1)...an exit for Cortlandt St itself hasn't existed since the World Trade Center opened up (the street itself was severed and made into part of the superblock the WTC stood on.)

In the years before the LI Expressway and Queens Center Mall, The IND Woodhaven Boulevard station (now on the (M) and the (R)) was known as "Woodhaven Boulevard - Slattery Plaza", after a now non-existant area of stores, since replaced by the Expressway. However, station tiles still display this artifact name.

Interestingly, although 2nd Avenue (F) DOES have an exit on Second Avenue at Houston Street, it's only open part time; the full time exit is a block east on First Avenue. Also, even though its located in the East Village, it was referred to as "Lower East Side - 2nd Avenue" during its (V) days.

We are referring to the Lexington Avenue Station on the (N)(Q)(R), which actually runs under 60th Street and has it's exit independent from the (4)(5)(6) station at 3rd Avenue and 60th Street.  The Lexington Avenue Line station of course has the exits on 59th Street (and on 60th/Lex), but we are specifically referring to the Broadway Line station.

So now we're discussing "stations whose PLATFORMS aren't under the street they are named after?"

Okay, Greenpoint (G) - the platform actually extends from Kent St to India St. But it's called GREENPOINT AVE because the main entrance to the station is on 3 of the 4 corners of Greenpoint & Manhattan Aves. Since there is a non-crossover exit to India St & Manhattan Ave, are we going to propose that the station be renamed India St in order to reduce confusion?

How about Times Square-42 St on the (7)? The platform is actually under 41 St!!!!!!

West 4th St, it's really more on Washington Place and has no exit on West 4th.

Eh, bit of a stretch. The platforms are pretty much exactly under West 4th, and the West 3rd exit is pretty much a half-block away. Not to mention, literally nobody actually knows where West 4th is...

Eh, bit of a stretch. The platforms are pretty much exactly under West 4th, and the West 3rd exit is pretty much a half-block away. Not to mention, literally nobody actually knows where West 4th is...

Bit of a stretch maybe but my point is still valid. And what do you mean with that nobody knows where W4 is (just curious 'cause I don't know the area very well)?

In the years before the LI Expressway and Queens Center Mall, The IND Woodhaven Boulevard station (now on the (M) and the (R)) was known as "Woodhaven Boulevard - Slattery Plaza", after a now non-existant area of stores, since replaced by the Expressway. However, station tiles still display this artifact name.

I always thought "Slattery Plaza" was whatever was where the mall was. Since Slattery was the manufacturer name on the old stove we have in the 70's (The only other place I saw the name), and assumed t mall may have been the site of the factory or something. But now, I just checked on this site: http://www.qchron.com/qboro/i_have_often_walked/next-stop-slattery-plaza-woodhaven-blvd/article_94773810-6787-5a7a-a9d0-1fe3e318673c.html and it too mentions some "island of businesses obliterated when the Long Island Expressway came through the area in 1955". The question then, is what thoroughfare did the LIE replace? Expressways like that are usually built over, or widened from smaller avenues. Or was it just to run through a row of blocks between streets, like the LOMEX would have?

So I wonder was this a regular avenue with rows of businesses, or a block with a strip mall?

It replaced Horace Harding Blvd east of Queens Blvd, was ramrodded through Maspeth and Middle Village before joingin up with another street west of Grand Ave.

I've been under the impression that Slattery plaza was the name of the intersection.

Where the mall is was once a kiddy amusement park.

I went to the high school across the street for a year, the principal at the time said when he went there he watched them build the first section of the mall, which was the first mention of the amusement park I'd heard (reason he brought it up was we were watching (and had to put up with the noise from) them building the expansion.

Yeah, the expansion is recent. I was waiting for them to do thatr, when I first startd going there in the 90's, and it was just the little round section in the front.

OK, now I remember reading about the kiddie park. I too think I got the impression about Slattery Plaza being an intersection. 

What was on Horace Harding Blvd back then? Rows of businesses?

Yeah, the expansion is recent. I was waiting for them to do thatr, when I first startd going there in the 90's, and it was just the little round section in the front.

OK, now I remember reading about the kiddie park. I too think I got the impression about Slattery Plaza being an intersection. 

What was on Horace Harding Blvd back then? Rows of businesses?

I've seen pictures of Horace Harding Boulevard on the internet.  Picture two traffic lanes, a very wide green space like on Conduit Blvd and two more lanes of traffic.  I believed it was lined with low density residential housing.

Bit of a stretch maybe but my point is still valid. And what do you mean with that nobody knows where W4 is (just curious 'cause I don't know the area very well)?

It's one of those streets where you get the impression the city planner just sneezed while drawing it out. Not only does it wind around and meander all over, but it also has these bizarre intersections. Generally numbered streets in Manhattan are all a grid while named streets are the crooked ones, but West 4th is the major exception. Just off 7th Ave, West 4th St and 10th St intersect at the weirdest intersection around. It goes north to south and east to west, so nine times out of ten even if you give a local an address on the street they'll have a whole lot of trouble finding it. 

I've seen pictures of Horace Harding Boulevard on the internet.  Picture two traffic lanes, a very wide green space like on Conduit Blvd and two more lanes of traffic.  I believed it was lined with low density residential housing.

Must have been planned for a highway, like the Conduit. 

Archived