ENY being prepped for Artics

Acela Express

For now, by 2017, I could see them with LFSAs, XD60s or something else altogether.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the S79 is SBS

I wonder if another Queens depot besides(BP and JFK in the future) and CS will get artics.

Probably JA or QV

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="limitednyc" data-cid="637125" data-time="1359156438"><p>

if so where</p></blockquote>

This is the entire LFSA order...

■5770-5789: Kingsbridge (KB) (20)

■5790-5818: West Farms (WF) (29)

■5819-5839: Flatbush (FB) (19)

■5840-5863: Michael J. Quill (MQ) (45)

■5864-5894: Tuskegee Airmen (OH) (31)

■5895-5935: Casey Stengel (CS) (41)

■5936-5967: West Farms (WF) (31)

■5968-5986: 126th Street (OS) (19)

■5253-5305: Michael J. Quill (MQ) (47)

■5306-5323: Gun Hill (18)

■5324-5363: Flatbush (FB) (40)

...as you can see, every bus is accounted for

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="limitednyc" data-cid="637125" data-time="1359156438"><p>

The MTA could change its mind tomorrow.  They do it all the time.

I'm not a big fan of artics, but the only routes out of ENY that I can (logically) see them getting put on are the B15 & the B82.....

Only way I see them putting artics on the B12 is if they significantly cut service - Which aint happening......

Artics on the Q56? With the train right over it - Not a chance..... Waste of resources....

Anyway, thanks for the news, Acela.

Some quotes real quick....

I think routes other than the B15 could use artics. Other than that, good news!

If you're strictly referring to routes out of ENY w/ that comment, again, only other route I can see is the B82.....

If they are getting Artics, Bring back our Xcelsiors!

Lol.....

Perhaps the B15 is going to get a limited or SBS. I always believed that they need a limited but artics? Really did not see that one coming. B82? Hell no!

Artics, yes, but I don't think the B15 will necessarily get SBS.... I can see a case for the B82 getting artics & SBS....

(remember, they flirted w/ the idea of SBS on the B82 in the past, so it's not that far-fetched to expect it to happen)....

If you're simply saying "hell no" to the idea of its actual implentation, Lol, I'm with you on that one......

if you look at possible extra artic when all the current orders are complete (and the a shuttle is no longer needed) there will be about 25 or so extra busses unassigned. that  wouldn't be enouph busses to fully convert the b15 the artic.....

There's nothing saying the B15 has to be 100% artic.... they could have artics on the JFK buses & the 40' on the spring creek/postal facility buses.....

The BX4 uses artics and a subway line runs above it for most of the route.

yeah, and the same is the case for the Bx39.... and the Bx9...

I still think it's a waste of resources to put em on the Q56 specifically; doesn't have the usage on a trip to trip basis IMO...

There are other routes out of ENY they can be better utilized at.....

I don't foresee any (MTA) XN60's for a while.

West Farms could take 60, then you just need to find a place for 30 more, and you got a 90-bus order.

I'm not a big fan of artics, but the only routes out of ENY that I can (logically) see them getting put on are the B15 & the B82.....

Only way I see them putting artics on the B12 is if they significantly cut service - Which aint happening......

Artics on the Q56? With the train right over it - Not a chance..... Waste of resources....

Anyway, thanks for the news, Acela.

Some quotes real quick....

If you're strictly referring to routes out of ENY w/ that comment, again, only other route I can see is the B82.....

Lol.....

Artics, yes, but I don't think the B15 will necessarily get SBS.... I can see a case for the B82 getting artics & SBS....

(remember, they flirted w/ the idea of SBS on the B82 in the past, so it's not that far-fetched to expect it to happen)....

If you're simply saying "hell no" to the idea of its actual implentation, Lol, I'm with you on that one......

There's nothing saying the B15 has to be 100% artic.... they could have artics on the JFK buses & the 40' on the spring creek/postal facility buses.....

The B82 would be tough to get SBS on because Kings Highway is essentially a narrow "country road" between Ocean Avenue and Bay Parkway where it ends. No room for bus lanes and all buses get slowed down there during rush hours. The problem isn't as bad west of the Kings Highway N train station, but it is a bottleneck. While the rest of its route would do just fine with SBS, the benefit gets washed away by the narrow portion of Kings Highway.

The B82 would be tough to get SBS on because Kings Highway is essentially a narrow "country road" between Ocean Avenue and Bay Parkway where it ends. No room for bus lanes and all buses get slowed down there during rush hours. The problem isn't as bad west of the Kings Highway N train station, but it is a bottleneck. While the rest of its route would do just fine with SBS, the benefit gets washed away by the narrow portion of Kings Highway.

preaching to the choir..... I made a similar argument on these forums back when talks of SBS on the 82 first reared its head....

Like I allude to, I can see them (the MTA) opting to do it... Me agreeing with it, is something entirely different....

Unless they were to remove parking in the segment b/w the N and Q subway lines (or more around Av P and KH), then there's no way they are going to fit the artics there.* It's also bad enough when you have double parked cars. I mean I think the B82 would have to be routed onto Av P and find its way back to Kings Hgwy for better traffic flow.

*On a good day traffic moves decently, but rush hours that area is hell and with artics, they will block the intersections and make things worse. I too don't see the point of a B82 sbs as the line is only crush loaded during the rush and only because of gaps in service. If they were to track the buses and schedule them closer together, you could ease the crowding issue.

Now, if the B82 was split, I can see the portion east of FB handling artics as Flatlands widens out and isn't as clogged compared to KH by the time the B82 gets to Av P.

Unless they were to remove parking in the segment b/w the N and Q subway lines (or more around Av P and KH), then there's no way they are going to fit the artics there.* It's also bad enough when you have double parked cars. I mean I think the B82 would have to be routed onto Av P and find its way back to Kings Hgwy for better traffic flow.

*On a good day traffic moves decently, but rush hours that area is hell and with artics, they will block the intersections and make things worse. I too don't see the point of a B82 sbs as the line is only crush loaded during the rush and only because of gaps in service. If they were to track the buses and schedule them closer together, you could ease the crowding issue.

Now, if the B82 was split, I can see the portion east of FB handling artics as Flatlands widens out and isn't as clogged compared to KH by the time the B82 gets to Av P.

Since the SBS would stop at main intersections only, they could probably route it with some portions using Ave P or Quentin Road. Then again, that's a little too much effort (and you lose time then anyways going from KH to Ave P, etc.). It likely won't happen, as the current service pattern really does work just fine until traffic bunches up the buses between Ocean and W7/W8.

Hmm... you raise a point....

How many 40' buses can even fit inside that loop (rockaway pkwy subway - the B6/82 section, not the 42 section).... I'm not so much worried about the turn(s), but more worried about how much space that loop contains.... iono, you'd likely get into a situation where buses would be put back straight on flatlands in the WB direction (meaning, no direct serving of the L)... Don't think it would be worth it.

Every bus is accounted for, but that means absolutely nothing at all. Those assignments are no longer accurate and that's why they are in purple. You have to read everything on that page. Especially when it comes to the fleets because changes have been made, and are currently changing yet again. I changed the text colors to reflect the many changes within the department of buses. I'm not done with it yet either, so you have to keep checking for updates.

Every bus is accounted for, but that means absolutely nothing at all. Those assignments are no longer accurate and that's why they are in purple. You have to read everything on that page. Especially when it comes to the fleets because changes have been made, and are currently changing yet again. I changed the text colors to reflect the many changes within the department of buses. I'm not done with it yet either, so you have to keep checking for updates.

P.S. There is nothing showing in different colors from what I see...

Archived