n27 gets lost in the snow

PinePower

I didn't say NICE complaits are fairytales I said you and Pine Power are telling fairytales, big difference.

But don't worry, I'm on the same side, I believe in fairytales!  We all know MTA LIB never had complaints.  ;)  In fact I don't know why they called it "Long Island Bus" they should've called the service PERFECT.  :rolleyes:

I've seen so many problems in just this first year I cant think of any other transit system, even Suffolk Transit's poorest operators (HJ-Sunrise) couldn't stoop to this level! Dude everyday is an adventure with NICE. You can't run a system for this much less and expect to see quality service. How often do you even take NICE? Because if it's any less than 2 days a week then you have no idea what's going on, much like Mr.Kumar who has no idea how thinks work around here. :P

Because if it's any less than 2 days a week then you have no idea what's going on, much like Mr.Kumar who has no idea how thinks work around here. :P

I'd like to have a conversation with him one of these days.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Joel Up Front" data-cid="640281" data-time="1359784192"><p>

Does this guy seriously carry a camera everywhere he goes? Of course I have my problems living the life of a non-driver in the USA but I don't go around the tri-state area with a camcorder recording my ugly mug and ranting about everything.</p></blockquote>

+over 9000

What niceBUS should do is get their drivers some GPS Devices so they could actually route right, as well as start training their drivers like MTA do. Have practice lessons on the streets, including Jamaica and best of all Flushing. It isn't that hard, in my opinion. 

What NICE Bus should do is offer a better wage, then maybe they would get some drivers with a brain in their head, & that know how to read.

What NICE Bus should do is offer a better wage, then maybe they would get some drivers with a brain in their head, & that know how to read.

Right on the mark, indeed they need bus operators with brains and know how to read and speak English fluently, the USA is not Mexico nor Spain. 

This is giving me a funny thought about this bus operator on a n22 with a crazy hairstyle that keeps yelling Transfer at the stops on E. Gate Blvd., some mentally not sane bus operators is even on niceBUS, yikes!!!

You pay well, they bother to learn English. You don't pay well, they don't bother to learn English. Simple.

It's not that simple.  First, where is this extra money coming from to pay that well?  How much are you proposing to pay?  Second, (as much as I think it should be) English is NOT the offical language of the United States.  Just because you pay well doesn't mean anything about people learning the English language.  Do I feel people coming here should bother to learn the language that has been spoken here since our Country was founded?  Of course, and I find it disgusting that people can assume they can come here and force a double language standard on this Country forcing Americans who only grew up speaking English at a disadvantage as many jobs now look for bilingual candidates.  BUT that's a different topic.

There should be at the minimum drivers who CAN COMMUNICATE in English, maybe there should be a language test. 

If you're proposing they should raise the wage to attract better English speakers so they can hire them over candidates with the same or better driving qualifications and expereince but not as good english that's discrimination!

It's not that simple.  First, where is this extra money coming from to pay that well?  How much are you proposing to pay?  Second, (as much as I think it should be) English is NOT the offical language of the United States.  Just because you pay well doesn't mean anything about people learning the English language.  Do I feel people coming here should bother to learn the language that has been spoken here since our Country was founded?  Of course, and I find it disgusting that people can assume they can come here and force a double language standard on this Country forcing Americans who only grew up speaking English at a disadvantage as many jobs now look for bilingual candidates.  BUT that's a different topic.

There should be at the minimum drivers who CAN COMMUNICATE in English, maybe there should be a language test. 

If you're proposing they should raise the wage to attract better English speakers so they can hire them over candidates with the same or better driving qualifications and expereince but not as good english that's discrimination!

Well, first of all, if the driver isn't fluent in English, how or why were they hired by NICE? How did they pass the job interview? Was it done in another language? If it was, that's really dumb. I doubt there was any kind of language test. I don't care where extra money comes from because the language barrier should be fixed with the money they have. Just strengthening the job interview process would help, but NICE is too darn desperate for drivers.

Well, first of all, were they even hired by NICE to begin with? We don't know each and every driver so a few of them could still be around from the LIB era. We don't know who hired them.

But the most important thing is: they don't have to speak English fluently. You're not gonna talk physics with a bus driver in the first place, you just say "Hello" when you board the bus, they say it back and if needed you ask them a question about something bus/NICE related. If they can answer that in a way that it's understandable for the one asking it, then I don't see the problem.

Well, first of all, were they even hired by NICE to begin with? We don't know each and every driver so a few of them could still be around from the LIB era. We don't know who hired them.

But the most important thing is: they don't have to speak English fluently. You're not gonna talk physics with a bus driver in the first place, you just say "Hello" when you board the bus, they say it back and if needed you ask them a question about something bus/NICE related. If they can answer that in a way that it's understandable for the one asking it, then I don't see the problem.

If its understandable and people get their answer, why are they complaining on here then? The (MTA)'s process of hiring at Long Island Bus was much more complex than how NICE hires now. Never once did I have a driver on Long Island Bus that didn't speak English clearly. Clearly, there's some type of issue with NICE operators fluency now if they can't even answer where the bus is going.

Well, first of all, if the driver isn't fluent in English, how or why were they hired by NICE? How did they pass the job interview?

Bingo!  ..and FYI there in the LIB days the MTA did hire drivers who could not speak english very well.  I've encountered them on buses going to/from Flushing.  They could communicate very well with passengers who spoke manderin (I assume) very well, me as only an English speaker, not so well.  I've also encountered drivers on the N4 who communicated with Spanish speakers very well, me as only an English speaker, not so well.  So these drivers are able to communiate with passengers very well, maybe not only English speakers.  So you say they can't communicate with passengers, but obviously they are.  So is your complaint that they aren't able to communicate with people who only speak English?  Because they are communicating with passengers in these communities who use the service.  At least we have announcments and Dest signs (usually) to guide us some people don't have that.

Well, first of all, if the driver isn't fluent in English, how or why were they hired by NICE? How did they pass the job interview? Was it done in another language? If it was, that's really dumb. I doubt there was any kind of language test. I don't care where extra money comes from because the language barrier should be fixed with the money they have. Just strengthening the job interview process would help, but NICE is too darn desperate for drivers.

What do you think the starting pay for the position should be?  Do you think fluent English speaking drivers is most important or service?

Keep in mind starting pay may be a buck an hour less than MTA LIB (according to one candidate who reported about a PT positioin so that could even be part time pay) which is about average for the industry (pay is less now in the industry than years ago due to influx of drivers from good old uncle sam giving anyone out of a job money to get their CDL).  BUT keep in mind top pay is top in this area for a bus driver, and with the new union contract top drivers are now making more per hour than they were with the MTA. 

Please also remember that the MTA refused to give raises in what?  3 years before nice agreed to?  We forget about that!

I think way to many people are buying into this horrible fairytale Pine Power and a disgruntled old timer who has an axe to grind, probably that he get over the fact that the ATM is gone! 

Think about when Veolia took over Newsday said there were over 700 driver with MTA LIB...  Where are they?  No one has heard of this forum?  Hound hasn't brought over all the drivers that Veolia screwed over?  Come on!  We are forced to hear how horrible nice is, but if nice was SO bad as the fairytales we hear we would've been flooded with angry drivers here.  BUT, all we get is Hound, with an axe to grind...  Hmmm...

I don't know much about the pay system, frankly who knows what the really senior drivers get from NICE because nobody speaks up, probably because they're afraid of ridicule for working for a cheap county system. I've wondered where the drivers are and why they're not on this forum as well, but maybe they don't COMMUNICATE enough with riders and enthusiasts of the system to find out about this.

Bingo!  ..and FYI there in the LIB days the MTA did hire drivers who could not speak english very well.  I've encountered them on buses going to/from Flushing.  They could communicate very well with passengers who spoke manderin (I assume) very well, me as only an English speaker, not so well.  I've also encountered drivers on the N4 who communicated with Spanish speakers very well, me as only an English speaker, not so well.  So these drivers are able to communiate with passengers very well, maybe not only English speakers.  So you say they can't communicate with passengers, but obviously they are.  So is your complaint that they aren't able to communicate with people who only speak English?  Because they are communicating with passengers in these communities who use the service.  At least we have announcments and Dest signs (usually) to guide us some people don't have that.

What do you think the starting pay for the position should be?  Do you think fluent English speaking drivers is most important or service?

Keep in mind starting pay may be a buck an hour less than MTA LIB (according to one candidate who reported about a PT positioin so that could even be part time pay) which is about average for the industry (pay is less now in the industry than years ago due to influx of drivers from good old uncle sam giving anyone out of a job money to get their CDL).  BUT keep in mind top pay is top in this area for a bus driver, and with the new union contract top drivers are now making more per hour than they were with the MTA. 

Please also remember that the MTA refused to give raises in what?  3 years before nice agreed to?  We forget about that!

I think way to many people are buying into this horrible fairytale Pine Power and a disgruntled old timer who has an axe to grind, probably that he get over the fact that the ATM is gone! 

Think about when Veolia took over Newsday said there were over 700 driver with MTA LIB...  Where are they?  No one has heard of this forum?  Hound hasn't brought over all the drivers that Veolia screwed over?  Come on!  We are forced to hear how horrible nice is, but if nice was SO bad as the fairytales we hear we would've been flooded with angry drivers here.  BUT, all we get is Hound, with an axe to grind...  Hmmm...

Too bad this guy Burrstone doesn't know more about the reality of what it's like working for Veolia. Not many drivers know about this forum,as most are not bus buffs and/or too afraid of retribution for expressing their feelings. It's sounds like this Burrstone is just jealous of the fact that he's just a school bus driver(judging from the picture on his messages) & real bus driver-wannabe that thinks he knows every aspect of the business. Maybe he once applied to the MTA & wasn't hired which is what causes him to be such a critic of them & defender of Veolia's so-called "fairytale" complaints.

Archived