n27 gets lost in the snow

PinePower

Why is this thread still here NICE is not perfect nor is LIB cmon man

Well because in general NICE makes LIB look much better. Take today, at NCC, around 4:30-4:45pm, loads of students getting out of class and hardly any buses. n43 RF-HTC bound loads up and leaves roughly 10-20ppl behind. The n45 I get on picks up the s/b n43's load and it's SRO all the way to almost Roosevelt. From looking at my schedules I see the n16x and n16 were missing, and an n43 was as well. The MTA had 16s going like clockwork, with NICE they come once in a blue moon. Only Mr.Kumar can see the logic in reducing bus service to the busy NCC campus, I really dont know what he's smoking but it must significantly impair brain function.  :lol:

If its understandable and people get their answer, why are they complaining on here then? The (MTA)'s process of hiring at Long Island Bus was much more complex than how NICE hires now. Never once did I have a driver on Long Island Bus that didn't speak English clearly. Clearly, there's some type of issue with NICE operators fluency now if they can't even answer where the bus is going.

Apperantly, as Burrstone points out, there were also these kind of driver under the (MTA) hood. So it's clearly not a NICE problem and like I said: these things happen in about every town in every country on this planet.

The same applies to not even knowing where the bus is going. That happens in my town too as of late because they now started to hire bus drivers from other towns that don't know a thing about my town.

It wasn't me. I think maybe it was Brett or someone who rides LIB/NICE sent email regardding photography policy.

Yea, here, I pulled up the response:

Dear Mr.  ********,

Thank you so much for writing us at NICE Bus.  We love to hear from our customers.

We have no plans to discourage your hobby and in fact may give you more reasons to take

photos in the near future with a complete fresh look  and new equipment starting later this

year.

Also, thank you for pointing out the mistake on the schedule, we’ll make the necessary

corrections in the next printing.

I appreciate your enthusiasum.

Jack Khzouz

Director of Marketing and Communications

Nassau County

Jack.Khzouz@Veoliatransdev.com

Brett <brett********@gmail.com>
1/6/12
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to Jack
cleardot.gif

With regards to photography, are we allowed to take pictures at places like Hempstead Terminal, Roosevelt Field, and Mitchel Field where there is security?
cleardot.gif

Khzouz, Jack <Jack.Khzouz@veoliatransdev.com>
1/9/12
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to Brett

Dear Mr. *******,

Those locations are controlled by either the County, Private Developers,  LIRR or a combination of all three.  I cannot speak for those particular entities.   

I would assume that if you approach this discretely,  you shouldn’t have an issue.

Jack Khzouz

Yeah, but that's just a face of life which also happens everywhere in the world. Some people, that includes butchers, barbers and even bus drivers, just don't like to get on picture/movie and they are always strong in letting you know that. Ah well, can happen, no probs, just wait for the next bus with a nicer bus driver.

Today, new male driver on 11:25 n20 Hicksville #1843 got lost at Francis Lewis Blvd/LIE due to Con Edison activity blockade on Northern Blvd. I wanted to help new driver, but Chinese riders don't want me to help.

Driver had to call in dispatcher after he pulled over his bus.
He thought Rocky Hill Rd was non-commercial vehicle but bus does uses it.
He was able to get back to Northern Blvd at Ocenia St via LIE Service Rd.

When I made announcement about TAC and LIBRU meeting, new male driver thought I was solicited which I was not.

I had to write note to that driver I have permission to hand out fliers by Long Island Bus Riders Union, TWU Local 252, and Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solages which I hand out for free.

Today, new male driver on 11:25 n20 Hicksville #1843 got lost at Francis Lewis Blvd/LIE due to Con Edison activity blockade on Northern Blvd. I wanted to help new driver, but Chinese riders don't want me to help.

Driver had to call in dispatcher after he pulled over his bus.

He thought Rocky Hill Rd was non-commercial vehicle but bus does uses it.

He was able to get back to Northern Blvd at Ocenia St via LIE Service Rd.

Why?

If the driver was lost and passengers were able to see that, why wouldn't they want you to help the driver? There's a missing part of that story.

I'm amazed that these drivers don't carry (or won't use) a smart phone.  Pull up the map click on current location and you're back on track in a minute...  I've seen drivers be helped by pax when I rode the bus back in the LI Bus days that were detoured off their main route because of fire/police acctivity...  I was also on a nice bus recently that was detoured and the b/o called it in to get rerouted, she wouldn't listen to pax (which only makes sense because who knows where the b/o lives, but the pax usually know the area.  Granted the pax may get the bus into tight situations).  Dispatch 9or a supervisor?) rerouted her in sucn an out of the way route that it seemed rediculous.  but I wonder if it is a NICE/Veolia rule that once off the main route they must call in to get directions to avoid getting A)lost, B) on streets the bus isn't supposed to be cause (preventing) C) the bus hitting something (a low bridge, low power lines, a parked car tight street???

I have also been wondering if nice has a set/designed plan of streets in Nassau County that buses are allowed on and not allowed (not suggested on)?  Or even maps or software of streets/routes the buses should use once off course?

I'm amazed that these drivers don't carry (or won't use) a smart phone.  Pull up the map click on current location and you're back on track in a minute...  I've seen drivers be helped by pax when I rode the bus back in the LI Bus days that were detoured off their main route because of fire/police acctivity...  I was also on a nice bus recently that was detoured and the b/o called it in to get rerouted, she wouldn't listen to pax (which only makes sense because who knows where the b/o lives, but the pax usually know the area.  Granted the pax may get the bus into tight situations).  Dispatch 9or a supervisor?) rerouted her in sucn an out of the way route that it seemed rediculous.  but I wonder if it is a NICE/Veolia rule that once off the main route they must call in to get directions to avoid getting A)lost, B) on streets the bus isn't supposed to be cause (preventing) C) the bus hitting something (a low bridge, low power lines, a parked car tight street???

I have also been wondering if nice has a set/designed plan of streets in Nassau County that buses are allowed on and not allowed (not suggested on)?  Or even maps or software of streets/routes the buses should use once off course?

Maybe they're afraid that if they get lost and decide to pull out their phone, people may think its for personal use and will complain. You are right though, I haven't seen many NICE drivers with smartphones either.

I don't think NICE has designated streets, the drivers just have to know what streets a bus can fit on and which it can't. Low bridges and tight turns, the drivers have to watch out for all of that like you said!

If the driver was lost and passengers were able to see that, why wouldn't they want you to help the driver? There's a missing part of that story.

I think North Shore resident don't want to help bus driver.

I heard when I took weekday n20 with senior male driver going westbound in 2012 there was new female driver who got lost in Queens. She asked passenger for help, but no one helped her, and when she made wrong turn, passengers reacted and she was able to come back to Roosevelt Av or Sanford Av.

Driver called dispatcher via ipod/smartphone I think after he pulled over his bus over LIE and he was able to get back to Northern Blvd at Oceania St.

Before Great Neck Station, I ripped up section of extra Queens Bus map around Northern Blvd-HHE/LIE area and tape to direction to B/O because I heard he does run trip, so I wrote direction on notebook, "If no one wants to get off at Northern Blvd between Bell & Francis Lewis Blvds, make left turn at Bell Blvd, turn right at 48th Av, follow Q27 route to Francis Lewis Blvd, and make right, then regular route at Northern Blvd.

Genovese syndrome....

Who cares what the riders don't want from you - you're a grown man & so is the driver.

Maybe they're afraid that if they get lost and decide to pull out their phone, people may think its for personal use and will complain. You are right though, I haven't seen many NICE drivers with smartphones either.

BO: "Dear passengers, due to a diversion at the main route I missed part of the route and I'm now pulling up my smartphone to get directions back to the main route."

Problem solved.

BO: "Dear passengers, due to a diversion at the main route I missed part of the route and I'm now pulling up my smartphone to get directions back to the main route."

Problem solved.

NICE drivers don't know enough English for that.

New driver made mistake. It was suppose to pickup only on eastbound NICE and new driver said,

"Attention! Due to Con Edison activity, we're making detour by company policy!! If ANYONE want to get off before Bell Blvd, please let me know."

While it is NICE rules since they don't have the authority to pick up and drop off within the city at those (MTA) stops, half the drivers don't enforce the closed door policy. The (MTA) doesn't really give a s**t anyway because they haven't said anything and neither has the city. There are bigger problems with NICE and to be honest, since many people don't do it, the dropping off in Queens eastbound does not really slow down the bus that much.

NICE drivers don't know enough English for that.

Wow, someone's riding the literal ride o_O

I didn't say they have to say EXACTLY what I wrote, it was just to give an example of how they could prevent the passengers from reporting him/her because they see a smartphone.

Archived