Ditmas Ave Has 3 Platforms?

Kendell

I was just on the F a few hours ago and i saw  and behind the white wall  a third platform. It keeps on going until a bumper. But if u go in the opposite direction  the wall levels out and a trackway is revealed. (No tracks or Roadbed) It keeps going up to the signal , make a right and stop dead end with no bumpers or anything. I am assuming this was a yard? Because i see the caution line on the platform near the wall.Can anyone help me? 

I was just on the F a few hours ago and i saw  and behind the white wall  a third platform. It keeps on going until a bumper. But if u go in the opposite direction  the wall levels out and a trackway is revealed. (No tracks or Roadbed) It keeps going up to the signal , make a right and stop dead end with no bumpers or anything. I am assuming this was a yard? Because i see the caution line on the platform near the wall.Can anyone help me? 

This was for the Culver Shuttle, which went from 9 Avenue to Ditmas Ave. It was torn down in the 1970s and what you see there is the last remnants from it.

Technically not a third platform… It would have still been two platforms. The southbound-one would just be an island platform.

Technically not a third platform… It would have still been two platforms. The southbound-one would just be an island platform.

Right.  All they did was put up a wall and turned the island platform to a side platform.

And before 1954 when the IND built the connection from Church Avenue to Ditmas Avenue,  all three tracks veered west and the Culver shuttle was the main line which connected with the Fourth Avenue subway.  Before that it connected with the 5th Avenue El.

Before the culver shuttle, the Culver line merged with the West end at Ninth Ave and continued up 4th Ave. The Culver was BMT. When the IND built the tunnel to Chruch, they connected it with the Culver, severed all but one track to Ninth Ave, and began Shuttle service. 

Indeed.

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/9ave.html

Before the culver shuttle, the Culver line merged with the West end at Ninth Ave and continued up 4th Ave. The Culver was BMT. When the IND built the tunnel to Chruch, they connected it with the Culver, severed all but one track to Ninth Ave, and began Shuttle service. 

Yup and when the West End platform at CI was being reconstructed in the 2000s, the (D) had to terminate on the Sea Beach platform and has officially terminated at each platform iirc (to others: it was the Brighton local prior to the Manhattan bridge construction).

Archived