Food costs too much

MHV9218

Think about it, how much do water, pizza, or hot dogs cost? It's not necessarily in line with real estate value, which is interesting, but that also means it often costs insane amounts in far from from gorgeous areas (a hot dog on 102 and Lex outside the projects, this is my example, is $2 -- while on 8th St. and University amongst the landmarked buildings and fancy folks, it's $1).

Pretty much, in Manhattan above 106th and between 14th St. and Canal, it's $1 water, $1 hot dog, $1-$1.50 pizza. That's reasonable.

Between 14th and 106th and below Canal, it's $2 water, $2 hot dog, $2-$4 pizza. That's insane.

Queens outside of LIC, SI, and the Bronx outside of the tourist areas have got cheap food still, but Brooklyn you might as well give up hope on getting something cheap near the water anywhere from Greenpoint to Red Hook. Only exceptions are Southside and Fulton St., honestly, cause the prices are nuts. Further in, Ft. Greene is expensive these days, parts of Bed-Stuy are starting to jack up the prices, and Gowanus/Windsor Terrace are up in food prices too. You've gotta go at least as far in as Bushwick or Flatbush to get reasonably priced food in Kings County, and even there, it's no cheaper than 8th St. in Manhattan. 

It's the little stuff you slowly notice in this city, and it's things like this that really tick me off. Food shouldn't cost this much.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think about it, how much do water, pizza, or hot dogs cost? It's not necessarily in line with real estate value, which is interesting, but that also means it often costs insane amounts in far from from gorgeous areas (a hot dog on 102 and Lex outside the projects, this is my example, is $2 -- while on 8th St. and University amongst the landmarked buildings and fancy folks, it's $1).

Pretty much, in Manhattan above 106th and between 14th St. and Canal, it's $1 water, $1 hot dog, $1-$1.50 pizza. That's reasonable.

Between 14th and 106th and below Canal, it's $2 water, $2 hot dog, $2-$4 pizza. That's insane.

Queens outside of LIC, SI, and the Bronx outside of the tourist areas have got cheap food still, but Brooklyn you might as well give up hope on getting something cheap near the water anywhere from Greenpoint to Red Hook. Only exceptions are Southside and Fulton St., honestly, cause the prices are nuts. Further in, Ft. Greene is expensive these days, parts of Bed-Stuy are starting to jack up the prices, and Gowanus/Windsor Terrace are up in food prices too. You've gotta go at least as far in as Bushwick or Flatbush to get reasonably priced food in Kings County, and even there, it's no cheaper than 8th St. in Manhattan. 

It's the little stuff you slowly notice in this city, and it's things like this that really tick me off. Food shouldn't cost this much.

I know this place (found it while riding the bus bridge) on 23 and Lexington that sells pizza for $1 dollar

There are actually a decent amount of stores selling $1 pizza nowadays. (In Manhattan anyway)

Ah, the advantages of living on Staten Island. I will say this, though: I'm noticing more of those food carts in areas all the way out, where you would never expect them to be. There's one by ShopRite, one by Western Beef, one by Pathmark, one by Richmond & Victory, one by the Eltingville SIR station, and probably more I haven't seen. Either they've been here this whole time and I haven't noticed them (which is possible) or they realized there's a market out here as well.

Here, in Douglaston, food isn't that cheap either. There's a deli I go to, almost daily, for lunch. Its close by to the train station, so its convenient. A typical sandwich (meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo) and a large iced tea (homemade), usually cost me about 10 bucks. Water is expensive to buy in singles too. Usually $2.50 for a water bottle and around the same for a Snapple. The nearby pizza place has slices for like $2.25 each I think. This probably all has to do with high rent and high prices in the area in general. No hot dog carts and food trucks nearby like in other places, but people don't mind and honestly, neither do I. I can afford it so I get it.

In Manhattan there's more competition so it would make sense for you to find deals. With that said, if you are just buying the essentials and not eating out you can still get food at a good price if you shop around.  I can get lunch for 2 - 3 days at Whole Foods for $20.00 or less which is pretty damn good considering the quality and such.

You also have to consider things like if stores can buy certain items in bulk and if more people buy that product in one area vs another.  

@Brett

DAYM, My deli back in Harlem had some nice egg sandwiches for breakfast for $1.

@GC

Places like McDonalds aren't even good anymore. I mean $1.96 for medium fries? WTF?

==========================

I agree with the OP entirely. 

More power to y'all then, because I don't trust any of those stores that sells pizza for a buck (some of those stores that sell dollar pizza's are 24/7, to boot)..... To me, they're in the same category as the water dog carts (I call em)....

100% sure I'ma have to spend much more than that to have my stomach pumped !

-----------------

But back to the bigger point, you aint kiddin food cost too dam much (I'm not even talking about the healthy stuff either).... I keep sayin I gotta stop eatin at these lunch buffets (almost $6/pound), but since they got rid of that mcdonalds over by christopher, all I got is domino's pizza.... The other 2 mcdonalds in the area [the "

" mcdonalds over by on west 3rd st & that mcdonalds local I call it (shit aint express at all) over there by houston st (1)], I don't step foot in anymore for differing reasons.....

As far as food shopping (supermarket-wise), forget about it.....

@Brett

DAYM, My deli back in Harlem had some nice egg sandwiches for breakfast for $1.

@GC

Places like McDonalds aren't even good anymore. I mean $1.96 for medium fries? WTF?

==========================

I agree with the OP entirely. 

With McDonald's you pay more for less. That's what they've been doing in recent years. With Wendy's it's the other way around (depending on location). That's why I prefer Wendy's. Plus their food taste like real fresh products!

I love Wendy's. Been going there since I was little.

Once I've watched Super Size Me and the training videos for fast food joints as well as behind the scene YouTube videos, I realized I was done with fast food. Can eat healthier stuff, even if it does cost a little more.

Once I've watched Super Size Me and the training videos for fast food joints as well as behind the scene YouTube videos, I realized I was done with fast food. Can eat healthier stuff, even if it does cost a little more.

Yep... Supersize me just made me even grossed out then I was before on that processed crap. I stopped eating McDonald's over 8 years ago... Got sick off of it when I came back to the states and that was it for me.  For some reason I found the McDonald's in Italy to be better...

Yep... Supersize me just made me even grossed out then I was before on that processed crap. I stopped eating McDonald's over 8 years ago... Got sick off of it when I came back to the states and that was it for me.  For some reason I found the McDonald's in Italy to be better...

They might of had different items over there.

They might of had different items over there.

A few here and there but not really a huge difference... The quality of the food seemed better and that was something that my stomach noticed immediately when I ate at a McDonald's here.  I'm not one to get sick so for me to get sick off McDonald's like that was a wake up call to me and since I had been eating natural food over there it was apparent to me that the processed (esp. considering the crap McDonald's puts in their food) food didn't sit well with me so I gave it up.  I still have a few bars that I go to for a good burger and fries but the quality is noticeable.

As much as I hate fast food (for many reasons), recently it came very convinient to just stop somewhere in the morning and enjoy a coffe and maybe a sandwich. Though as I type this I wonder how much I would have saved doing that at home.

International fast food eh? I was visiting Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua back in 2007. Biggest mistake of my life was stepping into a McDonalds out there. Looked absolutely filthy and overcrowded. I booked it out of there and went over to a BK down the street which was slightly better.

Well honestly I shouldn't have expected much. Juarez itself is a dump, much worse than Tijuana.

International fast food eh? I was visiting Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua back in 2007. Biggest mistake of my life was stepping into a McDonalds out there. Looked absolutely filthy and overcrowded. I booked it out of there and went over to a BK down the street which was slightly better.

Well honestly I shouldn't have expected much. Juarez itself is a dump, much worse than Tijuana.

LOL... To be honest for some reason I'd have cravings for burgers over there so when I did I'd have McDonald's and quite frankly I wasn't that big on it back in the day but a Big Mac and fries at that time hit the spot, but it's been over 8 years since I've eaten at any McDonald's and now the smell sickens me when I pass by one... So artificial smelling...

Usually, I will go out for coffee at Starbucks, maybe even pick up a piece of cake or a cookie. But I don't consider that fast food really.

Because Starbucks is mostly a coffee shop.

LOL... To be honest for some reason I'd have cravings for burgers over there so when I did I'd have McDonald's and quite frankly I wasn't that big on it back in the day but a Big Mac and fries at that time hit the spot, but it's been over 8 years since I've eaten at any McDonald's and now the smell sickens me when I pass by one... So artificial smelling...

You have a great point. The only thing I MIGHT buy there is the apple pie, that's it!  And even that, I have not eaten in nearly a year.

Archived