Food costs too much

MHV9218

You know I used to buy restaurant food all the time when I was single. Now the money used to add up ridiculous. I think I was spending like 150 dollars a week which was just absurb. But things changed. Now I cook almost every day. Usually breakfast though since I have to wake up earlier then her and she gets home from work usually earlier then I do. Usually got the laptop on the kitchen tab;e cooking and slamming out the online courses through my school at the same time. It's good to multitask, get more things done. She usually makes up for my hard work by doing laundry etc. It's like marriage, it's all about cooperation. OK now I'm going off topic, but yeah, now I cook instead of ordering food every day. I even pack my own lunch, unless she does it for me.

Man Western Beef, Hong Kong Supermarket (growing supermerket chain in 3 boroughs), or Key Food does it for me. Whole Foods is way too expensive.

And that's why I stopped doing all of my grocery shopping there. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know I used to buy restaurant food all the time when I was single. Now the money used to add up ridiculous. I think I was spending like 150 dollars a week which was just absurb. But things changed. Now I cook almost every day. Usually breakfast though since I have to wake up earlier then her and she gets home from work usually earlier then I do. Usually got the laptop on the kitchen tab;e cooking and slamming out the online courses through my school at the same time. It's good to multitask, get more things done. She usually makes up for my hard work by doing laundry etc. It's like marriage, it's all about cooperation. OK now I'm going off topic, but yeah, now I cook instead of ordering food every day. I even pack my own lunch, unless she does it for me.

Man Western Beef, Hong Kong Supermarket (growing supermerket chain in 3 boroughs), or Key Food does it for me. Whole Foods is way too expensive.

How about Pathmark? Anyone goes there?

How about Pathmark? Anyone goes there?

Pathmark sucks... I don't like it there because they carry only a few (and I mean few) natural items let alone organic.  They need to get with the times... Shop Rite is much more natural and organic friendly and actually has good prices for some items.

You have a point... I was supposed to go out for my espresso snack but I didn't have time to... Just a double shot espresso is about $3.00 and then the snack itself can run another $3.00 - 6.00 so roughly $6.00 - 9.00 for something I finish in about 10 minutes. lol

$3.00 espresso? In the city? That's realitivly cheap in my opinion. Damn California inflation.

My girl is threatening to a padlock amd chain on the fridge after 10 PM so I can't attack the pastries in the fridge in the middle of the night. I think she's my second mom. I envy you guys.

How controlling, lol.

I eat out way more than I should, but only because it's such a bitch to cook in my house. Sharing a kitchen with four other family members gets way annoying and hectic. I just find it easier to walk the 1/2 mile or however long it is to the local fast food places or the convinience store. Granted I would be saving much money but whatever I buy usually just gets eaten up. Sad really.

And as for supermarkets, where I live it's just a few local, many regional, and a handful of national markets. Not much variety.

$3.00 espresso? In the city? That's realitivly cheap in my opinion. Damn California inflation.

How controlling, lol.

I eat out way more than I should, but only because it's such a bitch to cook in my house. Sharing a kitchen with four other family members gets way annoying and hectic. I just find it easier to walk the 1/2 mile or however long it is to the local fast food places or the convinience store. Granted I would be saving much money but whatever I buy usually just gets eaten up. Sad really.

And as for supermarkets, where I live it's just a few local, many regional, and a handful of national markets. Not much variety.

No offence, but California is imploding right now. I'd consider moving.

No offence, but California is imploding right now. I'd consider moving.

None taken. But in my eyes this is home, where I belong. This place is like no other, for better or worse.

lol... An espresso is not that big... I mean I take my time drinking it but and get a double shot but it's still very small... How much do they charge in California??

Since I can't edit my last post I guess I'll make another.

Most independent (true) coffee houses/bars charge roughly $4.00-5.50 for a simple espresso. Most drinks are in that range quite honestly. Mind you this doesn't include tip.

Most independent (true) coffee houses/bars charge roughly $4.00-5.50 for a simple espresso. Most drinks are in that range quite honestly. Mind you this doesn't include tip.

WOW.... $5.50 for a friggin' espresso?!?!? That is like highway robbery!  I even find $3.00 expensive for an espresso here, because in Italy, I'd pay .85 for an espresso and leave some change for tip and still it didn't close to $2.00 let alone $5.50 and that was in Florence which is pricey.

lol... An espresso is not that big... I mean I take my time drinking it but and get a double shot but it's still very small... How much do they charge in California??

Expresso coffee gets me going. That's why I always get Cafe Bustello, It was made originally for expresso. Grew up on that stuff it's like crack juice. Plus it fits my budget. Got to cut corners on spending and that brand is'nt bad at all compared to say Maxwell House which is weak like hell.

Expresso coffee gets me going. That's why I always get Cafe Bustello, It was made originally for expresso. Grew up on that stuff it's like crack juice. Plus it fits my budget. Got to cut corners on spending and that brand is'nt bad at all compared to say Maxwell House which is weak like hell.

What does coffee taste like? Sorry for derailing the topic, but I'm just curious.

Naw it's cool, man. It has a very strong flavor to it. And it WILL wake you up in the morning and get you going out the door like the road runner chasing after bird feed lol. Great for buring the midnight oil cramming for tests along with Vit B12 to improve memory.

WOW.... $5.50 for a friggin' espresso?!?!? That is like highway robbery!  I even find $3.00 expensive for an espresso here, because in Italy, I'd pay .85 for an espresso and leave some change for tip and still it didn't close to $2.00 let alone $5.50 and that was in Florence which is pricey.

I'm telling you these guys (the independents) seem to want to milk you for every dollar. It's as if they're saying that beacuase they're better than the chains that you should pay two times the amount which makes sense but dosen't make it fair.

I'm not a major fan of coffee. On occasion I'll get an average cup of jor but more often I'm picking up an iced coffee or a frappuccino. I moreso enjoy it for taste as most coffee couldn't wake me up if my life depended on it.

Maxwell House... I think they use that garbage here in the office.  Stinks like hell.  My old office they had Starbucks which I also hate but if someone is buying it I'll drink but I wouldn't buy that crap with my money.  We had a lot of Italians in the old office so we had an espresso machine with Italian coffee... It wasn't Illy, which is really good but another Italian brand I can't remember now... Good stuff...

I like tea too but it depends if I really want to get wired or not and the weather. On a hot summer day coffee can get to your nerves pretty good.

Maxwell House... I think they use that garbage here in the office.  Stinks like hell.  My old office they had Starbucks which I also hate but if someone is buying it I'll drink but I wouldn't buy that crap with my money.  We had a lot of Italians in the old office so we had an espresso machine with Italian coffee... It wasn't Illy, which is really good but another Italian brand I can't remember now... Good stuff...

Illy, hmmmmm.... should go into Little Italy in the Bronx or the next time I'm in Bay Ridge in BK and look for it. I'll try it.

I used to drink the red bulls until I saw the headlines. It does make you crash ridiculous and it messes up my stomach. So I swear by coffee. If I'm at the local deli it's always small coffee, three sugars, black.

The sugar in coffee is what wakes me up if anything. I also used to drink Red Bull when I was in Jr. High but in retrospect that crap tastes nasty as hell. Liquid perfume as my ex called it.

I like tea too but it depends if I really want to get wired or not and the weather. On a hot summer day coffee can get to your nerves pretty good.

Tea isn't my thing. I'm a fan of cold beverages so usually water will do.

Maxwell House. I think that generation of coffee drinkers are not so fa from kicking the bucket if I do say so myself.

The sugar in coffee is what wakes me up if anything. I also used to drink Red Bull when I was in Jr. High but in retrospect that crap tastes nasty as hell. Liquid perfume as my ex called it.

Yeah true. Red Bulls makes your breath smell like a now n later mill. Ditto on the sugar. Makes your head spin and enhances the caffeine rush.

Tea isn't my thing. I'm a fan of cold beverages so usually water will do.

Maxwell House. I think that generation of coffee drinkers are not so fa from kicking the bucket if I do say so myself.

The most I drink is tea. I can't really drink cold stuff in the morning because that would upset my stomach.

Archived