TV on LIRR platforms

lilbluefoxie

I coulda sworn when I was younger they used to have TV on the platforms on the LIRR. I remember seeing it in Great Neck when I was much younger. There are TVs on a bunch of the platforms but the are all switched off. Anyone know what happened to the TV on the LIRR platforms? It would be nice to have something to watch while waiting for the train.

I remember seeing pictures of such a TV but I can't remember where I saw them... thought it was at Amagansett but they seem to have removed 'em if they were ever there. But maybe I don't remember it right, it could be some other station.

Those were the old system of showing the upcoming departures. 

This is the only picture I could find of a similar system still in use at Jamaica

(this was during post-sandy disruptions hence the utter lack of service, but conveys the idea)

jamaica45.jpg

This is using a more updated "Charachter generator" (an old TV term for something that puts text on a screen) but only a few years ago the text on these screens and in penn station looked like it was coming out of an Atari. 

Nope, back then only penn and jamaica had departure times and possibly woodside. Also the TV monitors at Penn still have that old style computer font.

Those were the old system of showing the upcoming departures. 

This is the only picture I could find of a similar system still in use at Jamaica

(this was during post-sandy disruptions hence the utter lack of service, but conveys the idea)

jamaica45.jpg

This is using a more updated "Charachter generator" (an old TV term for something that puts text on a screen) but only a few years ago the text on these screens and in penn station looked like it was coming out of an Atari. 

Yeah, it seems like something only the busier stations would have. Can't see Douglaston getting this unless all the stations get 'em. :P

Well Great Neck is one of the pseudo-terminals on that line where many trains terminate or originate, since it's the last double-track station on the line. Perhaps there was a design to put departures on them, since they might originate from either track. 

Just speculation, but seems to make sense. 

Archived