More WiFi Coming...

mark1447

14th and 23rd Sts isn't the only ones.. Saw these at CPW - 86st & Broadway - 72nd Sts. (Plus passing 81st / 72nd - CPW). Not sure about north of the stations, but likely. 59th St. saw none.

If you didn't know, these are whats used to give you WiFi. So far the SSIDs (WiFi name) are shown as "Test" or something, and contain a Temporary Password (unknown). So you can't access the net until its unlocked. Should be unlocked soon..

2zdwz13.jpg

2akaas9.jpg

5ceiie.jpg

Great to see WiFi in the subway stations. Since people can surf the net while waiting for the train now, more people will have their devices out. I see more of this happening: someone getting robbed by a dude who grabs their electronic device right out of their hands and runs off.

Great to see WiFi in the subway stations. Since people can surf the net while waiting for the train now, more people will have their devices out. I see more of this happening: someone getting robbed by a dude who grabs their electronic device right out of their hands and runs off.

The (MTA) doesn't care if people get robbed, that is the NYPD's problem. Meanwhile, people complain less because they can check their precious email, so the (MTA) looks good, plus they are not paying for the service. So I'd expect to keep seeing the wifi pop up all over.

Exactly my thoughts, now that I am the know of the ever-expanding WiFi pilot program.

I'm interested in the technology they use. There are a lot of emerging standards that will be commonplace in two years or so. WiGig (7 gbps connections) would be very useful inside an underground enclosed space with little obstructions. And the US government has just released some spectrum (though still shared with federal entities) for use by WiFi devices. I just hope the MTA isn't installing soon-obsolete technology. That extra spectrum will be very useful in a crowded area as will the beam-forming ability of WiGig to improve connection quality.

The technology these things have is compatible with GSM phones which is at&t and T-Mobile, though I heard CDMA phones can recieve signals eventually, don't know what's the delay for Verizon and Sprint customers. Mark1447, do you get signal on your CDMA device in these stations? Just want confirmation to see if CDMA is up yet... 

I'd rather have cell phone reception than WiFi.

Kidding me?  Wifi calling is enabled once this happens.  Though you'd need a phone probably post 2005.

That's what those things are... those are really a waste of money. Are people that urgent to connect with the "outside world"

In what world are you from?  If people are in the subway station, they ARE in the outside world.  You are trying to say connect into the inter-webs?  Kids these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually these are combination WiFI/Femtocells. (a femtocell is a tiny cell phone tower). The antenna's are shaped that way, with the metal plate on top, to directionalize the signal DOWN to the platform and not up into the street where it would interfere with existing infrastructure. 

WiFi would not need this - nor would it need such large antennas or beefy equipment, cables, etc. 

Also worth noting, these have gone in, but not lit up, at 50th and 59th st on the 7av line. Columbus Circle uses an interestingly disguised array of antennas, I might add. Photo below. I saw them installing these late tuesday night. Didn't realize what they were doing until I saw the results in the AM.

tumblr_mij1v8so861rqdhzwo1_500.jpg

If you don't see them, look at the bottom of the sign.

If you doubt look at the width of the sign, also the giant conduit feeding into it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bumping this thread to let you guys know that the free wifi on the 6th and 8th avenue lines seems to have ended. Now, they only have the Boingo wireless that you need to pay for if you search for networks. I checked it out lat week at the 14th and 23rd street stations on both lines. The free access was nice while it lasted, I guess. 

Archived