X28 bus from Bensonhurst

PandaBear625

That's the heart of rush hour on most express bus lines and seeing that the X28 runs every 6 minutes or so at that time, that should tell you how crowded they are.  If I were you I would try to get on earlier (as in get on before 86th and 7th) to get a decent seat but it's certainly faster than the (R) to the (N), that much I can assure you.  86th and 7th is the last stop before it goes onto the Gowanus.  It gets good usage esp. along Cropsey so keep that in mind since it's well used there in the heart of Dyker Heights.  I don't use the X28 during the rush, but I do use it outside of rush hours to be able to speak about the riding habits along the line.  With light traffic one can be in Manhattan from 86th and 7th in 20 minutes (maybe even less) if the driver really moves.

Outside of beating morning traffic on the gowanus, aint no benefit to taking the dam stinkin (R)... I say if you got the money, take the x28 & save yourself the headache.... Don't know if it's still like this, but there was a point & time where x28's in the morning would tend to bunch by time they turned off 14th onto 86th; that was more around the 8am hour than the 7am hour though......

You seriously can't consider the (R) a travel option its for suckers. Just take x28 and don't even bother with the (R).

Wouldn't say it's for suckers, I'd say it's for people who aren't gonna dish out $11 commuting each day...

That said, it's an incredibly slow train that I avoid like the plague, no reason to take it if the express is an option.

Wouldn't say it's for suckers, I'd say it's for people who aren't gonna dish out $11 commuting each day...

That said, it's an incredibly slow train that I avoid like the plague, no reason to take it if the express is an option.

Invalid argument if you travel everyday you will get the express bus plus for $50 a week far less than $11 per day. Only a fool would use pay per ride for a daily express bus commute. Unless you are not near X28 (R) shouldn't even cross one's mind as a travel option. If you are paying $11 a day for xbus daily then you failed math with flying colors. No offence directed at you.

Invalid argument if you travel everyday you will get the express bus plus for $50 a week far less than $11 per day. Only a fool would use pay per ride for a daily express bus commute. Unless you are not near X28 (R) shouldn't even cross one's mind as a travel option. If you are paying $11 a day for xbus daily then you failed math with flying colors. No offence directed at you.

His point is he doesn't want to double the cost of his commute.

thanks for all the comments.  The thing is I live closer to the R between the 95th stop and 86th St stop but within walking distance to the X28 86th St & 7th Ave stop.  Any stop before that isn't worth it.  I have always taken the R but considering switching to the X28 because I am tired of the snail ride on the R.  However, if the X28 is packed at 7 ave then I guess I am stuck riding the R.

thanks for all the comments.  The thing is I live closer to the R between the 95th stop and 86th St stop but within walking distance to the X28 86th St & 7th Ave stop.  Any stop before that isn't worth it.  I have always taken the R but considering switching to the X28 because I am tired of the snail ride on the R.  However, if the X28 is packed at 7 ave then I guess I am stuck riding the R.
Do you commute to downtown or midtown? If midtown then use X38. I am sure you will get a seat on the X28.

Not packed per se... You'd get a seat... My point was that some folks like to have two seats to themselves and for that you may want to get on a bit earlier OR just get to the stop earlier this way you get on the bus first and you can see how it's like in terms of how crowded it is.  It won't be SRO I can assure of that because if it was they would be forced to add more buses... They're not supposed to have folks standing on express buses because it's too dangerous.  I would certainly ditch the (R) if I were you.  It'll be a much more pleasant and quicker ride.

I feel sorry for anyone that has to take the 4th av line as part of a daily commute....

Do you commute to downtown or midtown? If midtown then use X38. I am sure you will get a seat on the X28.

I was wondering the same thing (and was also gonna suggest the 38).... Since he says he takes the R (and not the R to either of the 4th av expresses), I'm guessing he works in lower manhattan.... If he's riding the R all the way to midtown from ft. hamilton, I really feel for the poor guy.....

Then take the X27  Instead of the 28.

The thing is that the X28 gets right on the expressway, whereas the X27 has to pick up all the people in Bay Ridge.

I get his point... and to be honest, if I was in the OP's position, I'd make my way to the x27 too.....

If the OP is worried about packed x28's to the point where he'd go back to taking the (R), he can try his hand at walking over to the x27 at some point b/w 86th & 95th or whatever (where he'd be pretty much guaranteed a seat)....

I get his point... and to be honest, if I was in the OP's position, I'd make my way to the x27 too.....

If the OP is worried about packed x28's to the point where he'd go back to taking the (R), he can try his hand at walking over to the x27 at some point b/w 86th & 95th or whatever (where he'd be pretty much guaranteed a seat)....

But the thing is that he also mentioned wanting to avoid the slow ride on the (R). If he has to sit through all the stops in Bay Ridge, how much quicker would the X27 realistically be?

But the thing is that he also mentioned wanting to avoid the slow ride on the (R).

If he has to sit through all the stops in Bay Ridge, how much quicker would the X27 realistically be?

My argument isn't that the x27 would be quicker over anything..... All I'm (and brokecrazy's) saying is, if he's that worried about packed buses & he wants to consider taking the express bus over the subway, he can also take/try the x27.... It's somewhat similar to my situation where I can take the B46 to the BM1 or the BM2....

I would take the x27 OR the x28 over the (R) regardless, but this isn't about me....

Again, If the guy is that worried about packed x28's (I'm guessing he's closer to the 28) & he's feels the 27 is too far away, he may as well stay taking the R then......

My argument isn't that the x27 would be quicker over anything..... All I'm (and brokecrazy's) saying is, if he's that worried about packed buses & he wants to consider taking the express bus over the subway, he can also take/try the x27.... It's somewhat similar to my situation where I can take the B46 to the BM1 or the BM2....

I would take the x27 OR the x28 over the (R) regardless, but this isn't about me....

Again, If the guy is that worried about packed x28's (I'm guessing he's closer to the 28) & he's feels the 27 is too far away, he may as well stay taking the R then......

Exactly... The stops along Shore Road don't take that long... Still faster than the (R).... It's 20 minutes from Shore Rd & 99th to 65th & 3rd and he's obviously not getting on at 99th street... I mean hey the guy is in Bay Ridge... It's not going to be a skip and a hop but it'll be faster that the (R) as we've stated. 

How crowded it the X28 bus during the morning rush between 7:00 and 7:30 am from 86th St and 7th Ave?  I am trying to weight the benefits of taking the X28 vs the R.

IMO i'd rather take the 28, the R will get you no where at that time of the morning it's very crowded trust me. I take the R every morning but I go from 59th street - 86th street and that takes about 15 minutes because it's crowded and they wanna hold doors. The 28 is a bit empty at that time of the morning so you'll have a chance of getting a seat, I rode the 28 one morning over the summer at 6:50am but from near the first stop and by the time we got to 86th & 7th the last stop in brooklyn - manhattan there was only 11 people on the bus.

IMO i'd rather take the 28, the R will get you no where at that time of the morning it's very crowded trust me. I take the R every morning but I go from 59th street - 86th street and that takes about 15 minutes because it's crowded and they wanna hold doors. The 28 is a bit empty at that time of the morning so you'll have a chance of getting a seat, I rode the 28 one morning over the summer at 6:50am but from near the first stop and by the time we got to 86th & 7th the last stop in brooklyn - manhattan there was only 11 people on the bus.

Don't go by the summertime... Express buses are emptier then because people are on vacation... They would not be running X28s that frequently if they were always that empty.

Don't go by the summertime... Express buses are emptier then because people are on vacation... They would not be running X28s that frequently if they were always that empty.

My bad I should've been more detailed, it wasn't over the summer vacation it was in early june right before  everybody's "Vacation". 

My bad I should've been more detailed, it wasn't over the summer vacation it was in early june right before  everybody's "Vacation". 

Yeah even then it's still light... Basically from Memorial day on is vacation time, plus the colleges are out which contributes to lower ridership.... Also Fridays can be light days as well, regardless of the time of year.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Via Garibaldi 8" data-cid="641052" data-time="1359909946"><p>

Yeah even then it's still light... Basically from Memorial day on is vacation time, plus the colleges are out which contributes to lower ridership.... Also Fridays can be light days as well, regardless of the time of year.</p></blockquote> Yeah true, I ride the 28 every Tuesday and Wednesday nigh and the bus usually picks up 8-14 people no more than that.

....Also Fridays can be light days as well, regardless of the time of year.

I used to believe that too.....

It's not that fridays are light days - It's that people are boarding later buses (than what they normally would otherwise) b/c they're doing whatever (hangin out, eatin at restaurants, gettin drunk, all of the above... lol) with co-workers after work on a friday night.....

I used to believe that too.....

It's not that fridays are light days - It's that people are boarding later buses (than what they normally would otherwise) b/c they're doing whatever (hangin out, eatin at restaurants, gettin drunk, all of the above... lol) with co-workers after work on a friday night.....

Nights I know about... I was thinking about mornings... Heck I do the same thing.... The thing is to my surprise you have some folks that just work say three or four days a week and work from home on Fridays.  There was a chick that used to take the X16 with me that had this set up.  Also you have folks that get awesome hours on Fridays during the summer.  I don't know how common this is, but in my old office we had early dismissal on Fridays, where we would work from 08:00 until 14:00, so I would get out at 14:00 and hang out...Took a trip up to the Cloisters one afternoon or just take really long lunches or get hammered.  We had this for the entire summer so it was pretty sweet. We had to come in a bit earlier but it was worth it.

Archived