Express bus driver ignoring passengers

YankeesPwnMets

I've had similar experiences and sadly I honestly just don't care anymore. The last time I got into an altercation with a B/O (fare dispute) the motherf**ker tried to act all bad and then had the nerves to call the police and we were both questioned for not even 10 minutes with them viewing the video/audio tapes on site before they ruled in my favor. He made me late to my connection which in turned delayed my entire day by around an hour. :angry:

Stupid a**hole just gives me a look whenever a board one of his trips. He thinks he's all bad rasing his voice and shit to passengers, annoying douchebag. I have to admit I was ROFL when his huge ass broke the operators seat. :lol:

that hurts ridership big time

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that hurts ridership big time

I wouldn't go  as far as saying that but it may deter riders. It certainly deters me. Sad thing is most passenger don't care and a few kiss ass and/or side with the B/O even when he's/she's in the wrong.

You never ask a bus driver why they are late.  If they're late they're late.  Being prissy about it is not going to resolve the situation.  They may actually drag the line further.  Just call or write in, EVENTUALLY something will happen.  Drivers RARELY get fired for being late, they may be suspended if there is absolute concrete proof they were late due to their own bad habits.  Your living in Riverdale doesn't hold any weight when it comes to discipline of a bus driver. You remind me of this chick who said when she was pregnant a bus driver pulled off while she was standing and she almost fell.  She said she called it in and when they got downtown a supervisor fired him on the spot and another driver relieved him.   :rolleyes: Do you have the naivety and flawed sense of reality an 18 year old girl has?

And funny YOU of all people mentioned something about race.  I see everyone ignored it though as I'm sure they are used to your shenanigans.  If I dealt with passengers of your caliber I'd not only pass you up but I'd splash you and then give you a face full of diesel.  Stop being so haughty.

Girl sounds like a bitch. How the hell are you going to do that? I could understand if she had actually fell, but she did not. What a bitch.

I wouldn't go  as far as saying that but it may deter riders. It certainly deters me. Sad thing is most passenger don't care and a few kiss ass and/or side with the B/O even when he's/she's in the wrong.

People who are not used to transit will take offence and tell others not to ride. I however am in too much of a rush to even pay the driver any mind.

People who are not used to transit will take offence and tell others not to ride. I however am in too much of a rush to even pay the driver any mind.

Stuff usually dosen't work like that out here but you do have somewhat of a point.

And you.

Girl sounds like a bitch. How the hell are you going to do that? I could understand if she had actually fell, but she did not. What a bitch.

I'm sorry but I had enough. What is with you and these vulgar responses as of late. When is it acceptable to attack others with such profane language? Not only or you doing that to members but now to people you've never met. Come on.

Stuff usually dosen't work like that out here but you do have somewhat of a point.

And you.

I'm sorry but I had enough. What is with you and these vulgar responses as of late. When is it acceptable to attack others with such profane language? Not only or you doing that to members but now to people you've never met. Come on.

Either you or someone else had said a while back that she had gotton the driver fired. It's not his fault if she was not holding on to the handlebar when the bus had pulled off. This happened to people plenty of times and it is your job to look around you at all times. Now he's out of a job because of her actions. That is just not right at all.

Either you or someone else had said a while back that she had gotton the driver fired. It's not his fault if she was not holding on to the handlebar when the bus had pulled off. This happened to people plenty of times and it is your job to look around you at all times. Now he's out of a job because of her actions. That is just not right at all.

I ask you to read the entire post again.

You never ask a bus driver why they are late.  If they're late they're late.  Being prissy about it is not going to resolve the situation.  They may actually drag the line further.  Just call or write in, EVENTUALLY something will happen.  Drivers RARELY get fired for being late, they may be suspended if there is absolute concrete proof they were late due to their own bad habits.  Your living in Riverdale doesn't hold any weight when it comes to discipline of a bus driver. You remind me of this chick who said when she was pregnant a bus driver pulled off while she was standing and she almost fell.  She said she called it in and when they got downtown a supervisor fired him on the spot and another driver relieved him.   :rolleyes: Do you have the naivety and flawed sense of reality an 18 year old girl has?

And funny YOU of all people mentioned something about race.  I see everyone ignored it though as I'm sure they are used to your shenanigans.  If I dealt with passengers of your caliber I'd not only pass you up but I'd splash you and then give you a face full of diesel.  Stop being so haughty.

As you can see in Metro4050's quote, "Drivers RARELY get fired for being late, they may be suspended if there is absolute concrete proof they were late due to their own bad habits." You can also read in his statement, "She said she called it in and when they got downtown a supervisor fired him on the spot and another driver relieved him." The key being here is that's what she said. The way that Metro4050 was implying it, that's what she said happened, but the B/O wasn't fired at all.

Honestly I'm not all that suprised your siding with these obvious pricks. I have nothing more to say, good evening.

I ask you to read the entire post again.

As you can see in Metro4050's quote, "Drivers RARELY get fired for being late, they may be suspended if there is absolute concrete proof they were late due to their own bad habits." You can also read in his statement, "She said she called it in and when they got downtown a supervisor fired him on the spot and another driver relieved him." The key being here is that's what she said. The way that Metro4050 was implying it, that's what she said happened, but the B/O wasn't fired at all.

Honestly I'm not all that suprised your siding with these obvious pricks. I have nothing more to say, good evening.

LOL... Brown noser...  :lol: 

You never ask a bus driver why they are late.  If they're late they're late.  Being prissy about it is not going to resolve the situation.  

They may actually drag the line further.

....is why I personally don't bother asking any b/o why they're late & become quite annoyed when someone on a bus I'm on is making a federal case of the b/o being late right in his/her face.... I haven't been on a bus yet where someone has complained about lateness (loud enough for the b/o to hear at least), where the b/o tries to make up for lost time - In my experiences, the opposite happens....

....is why I personally don't bother asking any b/o why they're late & become quite annoyed when someone on a bus I'm on is making a federal case of the b/o being late right in his/her face.... I haven't been on a bus yet where someone has complained about lateness (loud enough for the b/o to hear at least), where the b/o tries to make up for lost time - In my experiences, the opposite happens....
no B/O was bad enough to piss me off.

Well, many times, there's a reason (traffic, crowding, wheelchair passenger, driver change, etc), or sometimes, the bus you're on came on time, while another bus went MIA. In that case, the B/O could be doing their best to get back on schedule, and arguing with them is just going to piss them off.

Kappock St is a BIG stop so I don't know why he did that.  I was going to the city tonight chatting with a B/O and he gave me the whole scoop on what goes down with Yonkers.  There are some a-holes out of Yonkers and some of them do real f*cked up stuff like bypassing stops and at least 10 of them have been fired over the last months because of nonsense like this.  Some of them are pissed at management as in (MTA) Bus since things were different I guess with Liberty LInes and so they take it out on the passengers.  That and the fact that some of them don't like doing Riverdale runs because they know folks will write in.  Some of these guys don't think though.  Now there's a guy that always comes late and I just assumed that he gets caught in traffic.  Found out that guy does that on purpose so he doesn't have to pick up folks and he's been close to getting the axe.  Also made a stink about the whole tracking system and I know why because he likes going off of the route. If I were you always note the bus and time and write in via e-mail.  There are at least three B/Os that I'm almost certain were fired for their nasty behavior.... One of them did the BxM18 and got into it with a dispatcher because he ordered him to stop at the stop we were waiting at and he had been refusing to do so talking about the stop had been moved when we had confirmed with the Department of Buses that no such thing had happened.

Another guy (a black B/O) who I've had on the BxM18 and BxM1 I'm sure was also fired... Was doing some real nasty BS, which as far as I could see was race related.  He'd act like he didn't see "select people", pull the bus way past where passengers were waiting then when they walked over to him and got on he'd jerk the bus so they went flying before they can grip on to anything and of course would only speak to "select people".  I started noticing a certain pattern with him and not only did I write in about his nasty behavior but I threatened to file a discrimination complaint as well to a higher up.  Haven't seen him since...

I know all of the little tricks some of those B/Os try to play and it's played out.  They really need to stop with that nonsense.  If they don't want the job let someone else who is going to be professional take it.  

I'm not sure what your source for these 10 firings are, but they are not true. Some have picked out as part of the general pick. Granted that things happen, and as an Yonkers operator I don't agree with all my co-workers, however beware of this "wonderful" bustrek system, it has and will do more harm than good. Now with that said, the MTA has made a dream job for me a nightmare, I don't take it out on the passengers, but what outlet does one have when you come to work and the hardest part is walking up to dispatch. This job the, way I remember was the hard part was the schedules, traffic and the passengers. Not just getting your work. The MTA wrecked what was fine, fun operation; where those who did their job well were respected & rewarded. And those who didn't, nature of the business took it's course. Nowaday what happens you can't take it's measure, good is ignored and wrong is the way the MTA want's it. If you know your job your considered a threat to the powers that be and treated as such, by so-called superiors as they ask for your help running their house is a humiliating kick in the crotch, on a daily basis. If I or any other B/O comes up with an idea to improve service or operations you are riddulcued, only to have that idea implemented years later as their own. The MTA doesn't hire or train professionals & hasen't for a long time, Liberty Lines did. And as we Liberty operators retire or move on, or can't take what the MTA has done to us, more MTA professional operators. I didn't mean to get off ona rant here, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 

I'm not sure what your source for these 10 firings are, but they are not true. Some have picked out as part of the general pick. Granted that things happen, and as an Yonkers operator I don't agree with all my co-workers, however beware of this "wonderful" bustrek system, it has and will do more harm than good. Now with that said, the MTA has made a dream job for me a nightmare, I don't take it out on the passengers, but what outlet does one have when you come to work and the hardest part is walking up to dispatch. This job the, way I remember was the hard part was the schedules, traffic and the passengers. Not just getting your work. The MTA wrecked what was fine, fun operation; where those who did their job well were respected & rewarded. And those who didn't, nature of the business took it's course. Nowaday what happens you can't take it's measure, good is ignored and wrong is the way the MTA want's it. If you know your job your considered a threat to the powers that be and treated as such, by so-called superiors as they ask for your help running their house is a humiliating kick in the crotch, on a daily basis. If I or any other B/O comes up with an idea to improve service or operations you are riddulcued, only to have that idea implemented years later as their own. The MTA doesn't hire or train professionals & hasen't for a long time, Liberty Lines did. And as we Liberty operators retire or move on, or can't take what the MTA has done to us, more MTA professional operators. I didn't mean to get off ona rant here, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong. 
You are spot on.... I worked for the (MTA) for a few summers interning and it's the same way in the office. You're expected to do only what your position is and nothing more. It's no wonder you have some that become lazy... P.S. It's good to have a Yonkers B/O in here finally. Hopefully you can share your experiences w/us here in the forums. I'm sure with the way I use the Riverdale express buses that I've had you at some point. I'm typing this on an express bus now... lol

You never ask a bus driver why they are late.  If they're late they're late.

If the bus operator was not effing around, there would be no logical reason to get upset over someone asking you if you're late. Though there are some rude ones that ask with that better than you attitude.

This thread cracks me up.....some of you guys really need to read "How to win friends and influence people"!

If the bus operator was not effing around, there would be no logical reason to get upset over someone asking you if you're late. Though there are some rude ones that ask with that better than you attitude.

This statement here show the ignorance of most riders. Some delays have nothing to do with the driver "effing" around. Sometimes it's out of the drivers hands....weather, traffic, heavy passenger loads, wheelchairs and even the availability of equipment can screw up a schedule. Sometimes that's the biggest problem is just getting equipment to go start your run....and that is one of the big fustrations some B/Os are having. There is nothing more aggrivating then to show up on time and leave 15-30 mins late because you have to keep running between the yard and dispatch trying to get a working bus.

Also sometimes it's not even the question but the tone and delivery of a question that will get a driver upset. 9 times out of 10 when a driver reacts in a way that this guy did to VG8 it's because the way the question was posed. I've been just as rude to people when I'm having a rough night because the passengers have NO idea what it takes sometimes to get out there and run the kind of schedules we run under the conditions that we run them in. I keep saying it and I will continue to say it as long as I am a member here on this board.....you guys have no clue what this job is like mentally and physically until you are out there doing it.

And as a sidenote....it's threads like this the reason why the operators have pretty much disappeared from this board. We had a ton more B/Os posting 2-3 years ago compared to now.....why? Because they are tired of either themselves or their coworkers being bashed over petty complaints. Eventually Acela and youngblaze will get tired of it too and then we'll have lost a valuable section of this community.

This thread cracks me up.....some of you guys really need to read "How to win friends and influence people"!

This statement here show the ignorance of most riders. Some delays have nothing to do with the driver "effing" around. Sometimes it's out of the drivers hands....weather, traffic, heavy passenger loads, wheelchairs and even the availability of equipment can screw up a schedule. Sometimes that's the biggest problem is just getting equipment to go start your run....and that is one of the big fustrations some B/Os are having. There is nothing more aggrivating then to show up on time and leave 15-30 mins late because you have to keep running between the yard and dispatch trying to get a working bus.

Also sometimes it's not even the question but the tone and delivery of a question that will get a driver upset. 9 times out of 10 when a driver reacts in a way that this guy did to VG8 it's because the way the question was posed. I've been just as rude to people when I'm having a rough night because the passengers have NO idea what it takes sometimes to get out there and run the kind of schedules we run under the conditions that we run them in. I keep saying it and I will continue to say it as long as I am a member here on this board.....you guys have no clue what this job is like mentally and physically until you are out there doing it.

And as a sidenote....it's threads like this the reason why the operators have pretty much disappeared from this board. We had a ton more B/Os posting 2-3 years ago compared to now.....why? Because they are tired of either themselves or their coworkers being bashed over petty complaints. Eventually Acela and youngblaze will get tired of it too and then we'll have lost a valuable section of this community.

Hey listen buddy, I give compliments when they are due and there are plenty of good B/Os out there, my uncle included, but when you have bad apples out there they should be exposed for giving the good guys a bad rep.  If you want to call that bashing then fine, but I call exactly what it is.  Just exposing bad apples.  If you're a good B/O I see no need to see it as bashing or for it to be taken personally.  Now you're right, I don't know what it's like to operate a bus, but don't sit here and tell me that I don't know when someone is being a wise @ss.  That has nothing to do with being a B/O or the job at all and just someone being a wiseguy and you and I know what I'm talking about.  There was really no way for me to have posed that question because regardless apparently I had no right to ask.  The question was posed in a respectful manner with no malice or any sort of snarky remarks. It is only when he snapped back at me that I responded because it was really uncalled for.  I'm just trying to get from point A to point B and trying to do so while avoiding any additional headaches and as I've said before, I don't mess with anybody unless they screw with me and that's just having mutual respect for another person, period. 

Sometimes you just have to let stuff go! Even before I became a driver I would never get on somebody's bus and ask they why they are late....in a way it isn't any of my business. Just accept the fact that the bus is late,pay your fare and have a seat. As a B/O I don't explain to people why I'm late (in fact I straight ignore those type of questions) because I find it just provoke more questions and if I late I don't have time for an extended conversation.....especially if I think the person isn't gonna understand it.

As far as your other statement...I think I'm a good B/O. But just because I am doesn't mean I am gonna sit back and let you dump on someone who's having problems out here. Sometimes those "bad apples" aren't as bad as they seem. I'll use my dad as an example...great driver, well liked on most of the lines he drives but put him on 13-Windsor Locks Exp or even worse...the 9-Unionville Exp and his attitude changes because the people on those lines forces his attitude to change. So to them he's a bad apple but they don't see the fact that their attitude is reason why he gets the way he gets. Now he has the seniority to avoid those lines so he does but not everybody has that luxury.....and this is where the fireworks start.

Quite frankly the drivers in Yonkers have the attitude they have because of the attitude of the passengers. I remember a story that The Hat recounted to me about him driving the BxM18 a couple years back on how a lady yelled at him for using the SpeakEasy to make his announcement. So tell me...somebody yelling at him for doing his job is suppose to make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside? You wouldn't put up with that so why should he? The only thing I can agree with you is that there needs to be more respect, get on the bus and act appropriately and you'll get it.

Sometimes you just have to let stuff go! Even before I became a driver I would never get on somebody's bus and ask they why they are late....in a way it isn't any of my business. Just accept the fact that the bus is late,pay your fare and have a seat. As a B/O I don't explain to people why I'm late (in fact I straight ignore those type of questions) because I find it just provoke more questions and if I late I don't have time for an extended conversation.....especially if I think the person isn't gonna understand it.

As far as your other statement...I think I'm a good B/O. But just because I am doesn't mean I am gonna sit back and let you dump on someone who's having problems out here. Sometimes those "bad apples" aren't as bad as they seem. I'll use my dad as an example...great driver, well liked on most of the lines he drives but put him on 13-Windsor Locks Exp or even worse...the 9-Unionville Exp and his attitude changes because the people on those lines forces his attitude to change. So to them he's a bad apple but they don't see the fact that their attitude is reason why he gets the way he gets. Now he has the seniority to avoid those lines so he does but not everybody has that luxury.....and this is where the fireworks start.

Quite frankly the drivers in Yonkers have the attitude they have because of the attitude of the passengers. I remember a story that The Hat recounted to me about him driving the BxM18 a couple years back on how a lady yelled at him for using the SpeakEasy to make his announcement. So tell me...somebody yelling at him for doing his job is suppose to make him feel all warm and fuzzy inside? You wouldn't put up with that so why should he? The only thing I can agree with you is that there needs to be more respect, get on the bus and act appropriately and you'll get it.

You're right I really don't care why he's late but I do care about getting to my destination as quickly as possible so that I can make my connections to get home.  Other than that I could care less why he's late.

As for your other point... Hmm... I bet he didn't say why she was yelling at him though?  You see I can understand why that passenger probably screamed at the B/O... I understand you guys take a lot of sh*t from the passengers, and I'm the first one to back up a B/O if he/she is being treated unfairly, and in fact have been pretty cool with a lot of B/O friends over the years (had a few guys I would ride around with here and there), but it works both ways. You have great passengers and great B/Os and sh*tty passengers and sh*tty B/Os... Now there have been times when I was sleeping or just sitting there and the B/O will come over the loud speaker announcing the stops but while he's probably trying to make sure he's audible, he is killing our ears or scaring the living day lights out of us if we were sleeping or something, so perhaps the lady had a long day and was wound tight and reacted.  Was it the best reaction? No, but there have been times when I've wanted to yell at a B/O for doing that esp. if you don't feel good and you've been working in the office for 12 hours.

Just like you have cranky passengers, you have cranky B/Os too.  You sound like my uncle... His motto is that anyone who gets on his bus is treated with respect so long as they give it.  Not all B/Os have this motto and you know what I'm saying is true.  There are the B/Os for example that give preferential treatment to the yentas in the front and everyone else who gets on gets the look of death or is made to feel like utter garbage.  In short, like I said, you have good apples and bad apples.  Now, for all of my stories, for the most part I really don't have any real issues with most B/Os out of Yonkers.  Most of them are very nice and accommodating, but the nasty ones have been some of the nastiest B/Os I've dealt with in all of my years of riding... Giving you looks like what are you doing on this bus for example... 

As for Riverdale passengers, we aren't any more pickier than any other express bus riders.  If anything we just simply refuse to receive poor service and so we complain.  My pet peeve is B/Os that come early or drive past my stop.  If that's the last bus of the night now my commute has just become a good two hours easily when I've already been waiting in the cold.  I'm not looking at it from a B/O passenger point of view, but just a service point of view and I'm sure you would be pissed too if that happened to you.  

This statement here shows how most people here don't have the ability to read the post before responding.

THAT. there in bold. That was the main point. If you weren't effing around, there should be no reason to get upset when someone asks you.

Covered that paragraph too. :

Though there are some rude ones that ask with that better than you attitude.

So please, make sure you read the post before responding. It can save you a lot of typing time.

At first my response was gonna be of the type to get myself banned but I decided to try to keep this thread civil.

You state that "If the bus operator was not effing around, there would be no logical reason to get upset over someone asking you if you're late." I'll give example of why a Operator got upset over that question.

My punch in time is 1015am at our garage in Secaucus,NJ for a 1130am departure from the PABT. I showed up on time and walked the yard only to find no equipment available. Mood: Annoyed

Went to dispatch, where I went back and forth with the dispatcher over a piece of equipment that was suppose to be in the yard but wasn't out there. Mood: Aggravated

Go to the garage when I find they are screwing around with the bus over a minor defect that had been ignored for weeks. Waited for them to tell me "We can't fix it but you can take it". By the time I pretrip and get my self set up I'm pulling out the yard at 1105am. Then I hit traffic on the 495 viaduct so I don't pull in until 1145am. Mood: Pissed

Grabbed two bottle of seltzer water from those rippoff's at Hudson News and then started boarding only to get "Why are we leaving so late, the schedule says the bus leaves at 1130"? Mood: Pissed off to the highest degree of Pisstivity

My point is you folks don't have a clue as to what we go though sometimes just to get to the first stop. I was in a great mood that morning and it got beat out of me by the time I got to the PABT. That question was the last thing I needed at that time and needless to say they got a sarcastic remark.

At first my response was gonna be of the type to get myself banned but I decided to try to keep this thread civil.

You state that "If the bus operator was not effing around, there would be no logical reason to get upset over someone asking you if you're late." I'll give example of why a Operator got upset over that question.

My punch in time is 1015am at our garage in Secaucus,NJ for a 1130am departure from the PABT. I showed up on time and walked the yard only to find no equipment available. Mood: Annoyed

Went to dispatch, where I went back and forth with the dispatcher over a piece of equipment that was suppose to be in the yard but wasn't out there. Mood: Aggravated

Go to the garage when I find they are screwing around with the bus over a minor defect that had been ignored for weeks. Waited for them to tell me "We can't fix it but you can take it". By the time I pretrip and get my self set up I'm pulling out the yard at 1105am. Then I hit traffic on the 495 viaduct so I don't pull in until 1145am. Mood: Pissed

Grabbed two bottle of seltzer water from those rippoff's at Hudson News and then started boarding only to get "Why are we leaving so late, the schedule says the bus leaves at 1130"? Mood: Pissed off to the highest degree of Pisstivity

My point is you folks don't have a clue as to what we go though sometimes just to get to the first stop. I was in a great mood that morning and it got beat out of me by the time I got to the PABT. That question was the last thing I needed at that time and needless to say they got a sarcastic remark.

I am not saying don't be rude to the rude. Nor am I saying be a prissypants and ask every time a bus is late. Now what I can tell from the typing is that the passenger was one of the rude ones. Now do you say that if someone asks just to ask and is not being an ass, they should get sarcasm in return?

Example: If someone says "Let me guess: Traffic", do they deserve to get a verbal punch to the gut?

The point I am making is not that the driver is at fault for every lateness nor should a passenger ask every time a bus is late, but if it's out of your control, why be angry about it? It's natural. People are gonna ask if the bus is over an hour late. Hell, I wouldn't even ask myself. I once stood at a SBS stop for 45 minutes waiting for a bus. When it showed up, I didn't ask about the lateness, I got on.

And you don't think that I have a clue as to the bullshit you drivers deal with: well, I do.

Lol. Personally, I just don't say anything when a bus pulls up late, no matter how upset I am. It won't make the bus go back in time, so what's the point, is my thinking.  

One time when Bus time did not work and the last express bus of the night came in 20 minutes late. I told the B/O "boy am I glad to see you, the bus time thing didn't work and I got worried!" He looked completely perplexed lol. 

Example: If someone says "Let me guess: Traffic", do they deserve to get a verbal punch to the gut?

Like I wrote earlier it's all in the tone and delivery of the question. Most people can look at somebody and tell by their body language if even asking a question is warranted. I used to take the 129 home from Secaucus during the PM Rush and you see the driver's visually tense up when people would ask why they were late. I understood why they were late or AWOL so I never asked the question.

The point I am making is not that the driver is at fault for every lateness nor should a passenger ask every time a bus is late, but if it's out of your control, why be angry about it? It's natural.

For me I like to be ontime. I was pissed because had the dispatcher been doing his job he would have told the mechs to be done with the bus before I got there or had another bus available for me to take. The fact that I left 35 minutes later than I normally would have put me in a position to hit traffic that I would not have hit if I left ontime. It's a cascading problem and I hate to have to try and fix issues that other people create.

Archived