MTA delays new system that will replace MetroCards with 'smart' debit or credit cards

Via Garibaldi 8

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says it will explore paying fares using smartphones and officials now believe the move away from costly MetroCards may take place between 2016 and 2018. The system was originally slated for implementation in 2015.

metrocard29n-2-web.jpg

MAISEL, TODD

The MTA said the switch to 'smart' debit or credit card will take place between 2016 and 2018.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-delays-replacement-metrocard-article-1.1250054#ixzz2JNkN2gBf

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still don't like the idea of using my debit card for this kinda thing but in a way I guess we already do simply by using them to buy metrocards.  Still the option of being able to use cash when I want to should remain. 

Well there are credit cards you know.... Can't remember the last time I used my bank card for a MetroCard esp. after several glitches I experienced.

Still don't like the idea of using my debit card for this kinda thing but in a way I guess we already do simply by using them to buy metrocards.  Still the option of being able to use cash when I want to should remain. 

I'm sure passengers will still be able to use cash if they'd like. In the event that a transfer is required you may need a smart card, unless the MTA decides to keep paper transfers for that purpose.

And as for paying a monthly or weekly with cash, it would work similar to a prepaid debit card (if anyone is familiar with those).

To me, its a good idea to accept credit and debit cards. I even use them to park at Muni-Meters. However, I am a little worried because fare machines currently have a tendency to screw up metrocards. It happened on some of the fareboxes at NICE where my MetroCard didn't work anymore because the machine screwed up the strip. If I swipe or put my debit or credit card in a farebox, I wanna know that it won't get broken where I need a new one. That's a huge inconvenience for me.

The MTA should pursue a smart card (Think Oyster Card) system as well. Not everyone that uses Public Transport has a credit or debit card so that should be an option too. Those who use debit/credit cards or the smart cards can pay slightly less than those who just use cash. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Here's my problem. No one should be forced to pay with a debit/credit card. 

In the end, I see them accepting the PATH Smartlink in addition to the Visa/Mastercard/whatever cards, or maybe they'll develop a new smart MetroCard. As long as they accept it on PATH I really don't care (I use my MetroCard on PATH, I won't shell out the extra $$ for a Smartlink until the MTA accepts it), though I'd like to see Smartlink being used by the TA since it's already been developed. There's too many people who use cash to refill their cards for them to only accept credit and debit cards.

In the end, I see them accepting the PATH Smartlink in addition to the Visa/Mastercard/whatever cards, or maybe they'll develop a new smart MetroCard. As long as they accept it on PATH I really don't care (I use my MetroCard on PATH, I won't shell out the extra $$ for a Smartlink until the MTA accepts it), though I'd like to see Smartlink being used by the TA since it's already been developed. There's too many people who use cash to refill their cards for them to only accept credit and debit cards.

Well of course... I don't see that happening at all, but there are more people using credit and debit cards than there are that use money these days and paying with a card is much faster than with cash.  I don't suspect that they will start charging folks more to pay with cash since only machines are involved for now, but they have done it with some tolls and I don't blame them.  These days and times anyone can get a card.  There's even pre-paid cards offered by American Express and other companies.

With the NFC technology, using smart phones to pay is almost viable.

Or via text messaging (SMS). In Antwerp, Belgium they allow you to buy a ticket via text messaging and you get the receipt... as a text message which you can show to whoever needs to see it (for example the bus driver when you hop on a bus).

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that fares will be exclusively paid by these cards, because there is one group that won't have them: kids (those old enough to be in school).

Or via text messaging (SMS). In Antwerp, Belgium they allow you to buy a ticket via text messaging and you get the receipt... as a text message which you can show to whoever needs to see it (for example the bus driver when you hop on a bus).

Hell if I can show my electronic ticket on my smartphone to get into the movies, I don't know why the (MTA) is so behind with allowing folks to pay electronically to use the system.  So annoying.  I have to stock up on cards so that I don't have to keep running to the train station to refill my express bus cards because if I don't I have to schlepp to the ATM, get money out and then schlepp to a store somewhere else to get a Metrocard since you can't pay with a card in the stores.  Talk about antiquated.

Thinking about it, you know if they made it easier for folks to pay maybe, just maybe they'd get more people to use the system.  If folks aren't using the subway or don't have one in their neighborhood they shouldn't feel as if they have to go on a excursion just to get a MetroCard.

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that fares will be exclusively paid by these cards, because there is one group that won't have them: kids (those old enough to be in school).

The students should get special Smartlink Grey (disposable paper cards with the RFID chip) cards valid only during school hours like the current Student MetroCard.

Care to expand on that statement/comment?^

This is a complete waste... It costs way too much money and there is too much margin of error.

New technology isn't cheap, but it has to begin somewhere. You can't kep using the old system forever.

To me, its a good idea to accept credit and debit cards. I even use them to park at Muni-Meters. However, I am a little worried because fare machines currently have a tendency to screw up metrocards. It happened on some of the fareboxes at NICE where my MetroCard didn't work anymore because the machine screwed up the strip. If I swipe or put my debit or credit card in a farebox, I wanna know that it won't get broken where I need a new one. That's a huge inconvenience for me.

Yes, the other day I heard a 'scratching' sound when a farebox was reading my card and twice gave me a read error message. Fortunately the card worked on another bus and the other bus didn't deduct a fare. But it can happen where the machine will damage the card. I'd rather it'd be the MC than a credit/debit card.

Cellphones might look like a good idea, but it's not. A) Not everyone has them. and B) You will make them easier to steal so no.

I think cell phone is just an option, it should be NFC smart card for the people who don't have cellphone with NFC chip :P

btw...wasting $$$ on debit card/credit payment system, why don't MTA build a real smart card system, just like these cities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smart_cards

Cellphones might look like a good idea, but it's not. A) Not everyone has them.

If they discontinue everything but paying with cell phones, then that is an idiotic decision and one that is unlikely to happen.

You will make them easier to steal so no.

People can steal cell phones on buses too....

As long as they provide a viable payment option for those who lack cell phones and/or bank cards, I have no problem with it.  But if the MTA plans on making the system smartphone/bank card only, then it should not be allowed by the State under any circumstances.  Not everyone is  hip, tech-savvy, 20-something with the latest iPhone, Gold Amex credit card and Mastercard Plus debit.  I know I'm not, that's for sure. 

As long as they provide a viable payment option for those who lack cell phones and/or bank cards, I have no problem with it.  But if the MTA plans on making the system smartphone/bank card only, then it should not be allowed by the State under any circumstances.  Not everyone is  hip, tech-savvy, 20-something with the latest iPhone, Gold Amex credit card and Mastercard Plus debit.  I know I'm not, that's for sure. 

LOL... You mean Amex Gold charge card... It won't happen simply because if the system can't process debit, credit or charge card charges then they're screwed.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  Years ago I needed a new Express bus Plus card but also needed to catch my express bus back to Staten Island and got off at Union Square from Grand Central with the intention of using my Amex charge card and then catching my express bus.  Went to just about every machine in the station and none of them were taking payments by debit, credit or by charge so I had go back into the system take the train down further to Canal and get my Metrocard there because I didn't have enough time to come out schlepp to my bank, get money out and then get a card.  That at least allowed me to catch a later X1.  In short not being able to pay in cash would be a huge inconvenience for many folks.  Some old timers hate the idea of using cards to pay for anything because they feel that their information would be compromised, so they pay for cash with everything and then there are others that just prefer to use cash.

Archived