MTA delays new system that will replace MetroCards with 'smart' debit or credit cards

Via Garibaldi 8

I dont like the idea of paying with my phone, I dont want the criminals and the thugs seeing what kinda phone I have when theyre standing there selling swipes. I dunno why the Metrocard doesnt work for people, I only had one metrocard ruined because an LIRR conductor punched a hole thru the magnetic stripe (it was a combo ticket)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could always go DC Metro and MTA Maryland style with their smart cards. Just tap and go and you still have the option of paying with cash on the buses.

Funny thing with them is that both their smart cards are made by the same company so you could use your DC smart trip card in Baltimore and vice versa

SmartLink works just fine for PATH.  A similar system shouldn't be too difficult for the (MTA)

Thank you! Other cities like Los Angeles,Washington DC,Chicago,Miami,FL,etc been have a smartcard system since at least 2008 and WE have to wait almost 10 years later to get our own!? WHAT.......THE........HELL!?

Thank you! Other cities like Los Angeles,Washington DC,Chicago,Miami,FL,etc been have a smartcard system since at least 2008 and WE have to wait almost 10 years later to get our own!? WHAT.......THE........HELL!?

So? Things take time. And those systems are nowhere near as big as ours. Even if it was about to be rolled out tomorrow, it would still take about 1 1/2-2 years to refit every turnstile and bus within the city.

This is a complete waste... It costs way too much money and there is too much margin of error.

LOL... Actually, it's just the opposite... That's why you have more and more of a push to get people to pay electronically at bridges and tolls... Less cash=less manpower needed to deal with the cash... Also MetroCards cost money to print.  Sure the (MTA) gets a deal since they print in bulk but moving to smart cards will allow them to cut costs because those can be reused longer than MetroCards.  Then there are the indirect savings that the (MTA) gets through using smart cards... Quicker boarding on buses means shorter trips which means less overtime potentially that has to be paid out to B/Os and less operating expenses overall for the buses... Less fuel, etc., etc.... 

The students should get special Smartlink Grey (disposable paper cards with the RFID chip) cards valid only during school hours like the current Student MetroCard.
If they could do that, it'd be a simple step forward to just make something like an Oyster Card.

So? Things take time. And those systems are nowhere near as big as ours. Even if it was about to be rolled out tomorrow, it would still take about 1 1/2-2 years to refit every turnstile and bus within the city.
So, replace turnstiles with ones that accept both MetroCard Classic and MetroCard Touch, and when all turnstiles have been replaced, only sell single ride tickets for a ripoff price for the old system and migrate everything else to the MetroCard Touch.

Forget about retrofitting the stations... They're just behind, period... I think it's embarrassing that they're generally behind on just everything... The only thing I can think of that they've done a good job with is the number of electric hybrid  buses that they have which I believe is the cleanest fleet in the country.  Other than that most of the projects they undertake are behind or fail. 

Pay before boarding system...  Was already in place in many parts of Europe well before 2004, yet the (MTA) has just recently introduced this concept... 

I could go on but I think my point is pretty much been made.

It's one thing to have limited funds and another to just fail to plan properly to move the system forward. 

But I doubt Japan has a culture that 'rewards' theft (but again I do think it'd be nice to pay with the smart phone, provided that is one way to pay and not the only way). It's not really the same comparing them to here.

And sure it'd be nice to have prepaid fare before boarding, but unless you have a person stationed by the machines to check everyone did pay, then you'll only add to the increasing numbers of fare beaters.

=

On the subject of the bus fareboxes, it'd be nice if they look into something like what the Vegas bus system uses with boxes that can distribute a card on the spot and allow you to swipe the card rather than dip it in the machine. Also what is most ideal is those boxes can handle dollar bills which eliminates the issue about people asking others for change.

Yes, it takes time...so we should started to roll this thing out few years ago... :mellow:

Also what is most ideal is those boxes can handle dollar bills which eliminates the issue about people asking others for change.
Even more ideal is getting rid of the dollar as a bill and making it into a coin. It'll save the government money (at which point they will probably squander the available funds on something else) and coins supposedly don't come with the problems that bills do.

Um, you are obviously new to the whole "Federal Reserve" thing aren't you? The last time someone tried to go up against them so they can change the way they do things, he was killed. The most recent idea, the platinum Trillion Dollar coin, so that the US can pay it's bills, was also shot down like a duck in the woods.

Even more ideal is getting rid of the dollar as a bill and making it into a coin. It'll save the government money (at which point they will probably squander the available funds on something else) and coins supposedly don't come with the problems that bills do.

Of course... Coins also last longer... In Europe with the Euros they have 1 euro coin, 2 euro coin and then once you get to 5 that's when they have bills... Kind of annoying too because of all of the damn change, but the coins are cool to look at since they're Euros from various countries in the Euro zone that use the Euro for their currency.

Um, you are obviously new to the whole "Federal Reserve" thing aren't you? The last time someone tried to go up against them so they can change the way they do things, he was killed. The most recent idea, the platinum Trillion Dollar coin, so that the US can pay it's bills, was also shot down like a duck in the woods.
New? Sure. Am I wrong? Absolutely not. This isn't making money from thin air. This is releasing the huge stockpile of dollar coins and taking the bills out of circulation. It's an idea that's being floated in Congress, and an idea that two thirds of informed Americans are willing to accept.

Eliminating the dollar "bill" is suicide.  I'll never carry dollar coins ever..then again I rarely carry dollar bills as well.

Again, the NFC technology is phenomenal, with given time we'll probably pay like that and such.  Of course it shouldn't be 100% as some people won't have phones but come on really, even my grandmother has a smart phone.  If she only knew how to use it though.  :rolleyes:  

That would, again, never happen. There is already too much money in circulation as is. Eliminating the Dollar bill won't solve a thing with the 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 dollar bills still in existence. Either way, history has shown that once money is centralized into the government, that economy eventually fails. Woodrow Wilson, the president who authorized it realized this late in his life and said:

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." -Woodrow Wilson, after signing the Federal Reserve into existence

This also backs my earlier statement which basically says, "The FED calls the shots."

How is exchanging a $1 bill for a $1 coin going to cause the economy to fail? I mean look at all the changes from the old 90s versions of the $5-100s to today. We had to exchange them for the newer bills because of the needed security markers. We survived that. I hardly see any of the older bills around. The $1 has remained virtually unchanged and despite its low denomination can easily be counterfeited. You can't counterfeit a coin as easily as you can paper bills. If anything the coin could be a upgrade and eliminate the counterfeit money from being further circulated.

Archived