MTA delays new system that will replace MetroCards with 'smart' debit or credit cards

Via Garibaldi 8

You completely missed the point.

How much money goes to bailouts? How much money goes to war? How much money goes to things like Foodstamps and Medicare? It all adds up. And the debt has doubled since 2008. Like I said, Getting rid of the Dollar Bill won't solve the problem.

You know what the moneymaker for this country is? Perpetual war. You know what the biggest expense on this country is? Perpetual war. We spend more than we take in. Like any business, keep that up and eventually you go bankrupt.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much money goes to bailouts? How much money goes to war? How much money goes to things like Foodstamps and Medicare? It all adds up. And the debt has doubled since 2008. Like I said, Getting rid of the Dollar Bill won't solve the problem.

You know what the moneymaker for this country is? Perpetual war. You know what the biggest expense on this country is? Perpetual war. We spend more than we take in. Like any business, keep that up and eventually you go bankrupt.

And let's not forgot about the printing of money OUT OF THIN AIR!

This man gets my point:

How is exchanging a $1 bill for a $1 coin going to cause the economy to fail?

…whereas you thought I was suggesting this:

And let's not forgot about the printing of money OUT OF THIN AIR!

You know what single solution solves all the problems in the world? None. Let's let individual pork barrel project run its course (and propose more of it) because no single pork barrel project alone amounts to any harm!

Well how it got to that, I don't follow... but the point for the NYC area is the boxes should either be built to accept bills or people should be encouraged/forced to use coins and stop holding up the bus asking ppl for change to put in the box.

I made it a point that coins should replace bills as vending machines tend to choke on them. Even my bank's ATM machines (which accepts cash deposits) will often spit my money back out because it thinks there's a problem with my bills. Coins do not require the intelligence of machines that bills do to process.

And that's a totally different topic altogether. All we are talking about is switching from a paper bill to a coin. So I don't get why your going on about this topic here. If it matters that much, you are free to start a separate topic in the o/t section.

Of course there's a $16 trillion deficit, but unless things changes in the government especially with the president and senate cutting back on the spending, it's not going to make a difference.

Two things:

1-You ask why I'm going on about this topic here, and yet continue on about said subject.

2-The president is a puppet. The difference lies within the American people. We were warned a hundred years ago what would happen if we let  Banks control the government. But Americans are either too stupid or too far in denial to realize what's been happening for the last 40 or 50 years is all coming together now.

Two things:

1-You ask why I'm going on about this topic here, and yet continue on about said subject.

2-The president is a puppet. The difference lies within the American people. We were warned a hundred years ago what would happen if we let  Banks control the government. But Americans are either too stupid or too far in denial to realize what's been happening for the last 40 or 50 years is all coming together now.

Jesus... And I thought I was bad... LOL :lol: We only got on the topic of money because of the whole issue with the (MTA) not taking dollars and only accepting coins. If you feel it's really that important to talk about Obama being a puppet and so on and so forth which is really a whole different subject not at all remotely related to the topic at hand, it would be nice if you could continue that in the new thread that was created.

Anyhow, in an effort to bring this back on topic, I feel that any system the MTA adopts should be compatible with the other systems in the area. I'm talking of course about PATH, but it should also include NICE and Bee-Line. We don't need to have something completely different in place for the MTA that won't work for the PATH.

I don't remember where I saw this, but I remember reading that PATH was consulting MTA agencies, DOT, NJT, and possibly PATCO and SEPTA when developing SmartLink.

If this is true, this is the first time I've heard of a Port Authority agency being helpful and proactive with other agencies, and it would be a shame if such an effort went to waste.

The way I see it, the MTA is going about it the wrong way, or at least promoting it the wrong way. The MTA should be saying that it is a smartcard system compatible with debit/credit cards, not the other way around. IMO it would be perfect if MTA could suck up its pride, adopt the already-functional SmartLink, and develop something that can read both this and NFC/RFID equipped smartcards. (MTA certainly has the technical expertise to do something like this - they managed to rig countdown clocks, security cameras, and some other things, all with century old infrastructure, so slapping on two card readers or developing a card reader with two sensors shouldn't be in the realm of impossiblity.) However, I suspect that MTA has far too much pride and skin in investing in a system that has never been done before (or so they say), so we're going to see more of the same for a couple more years.

I have to question the merits of using electronics like cell phones to pay your fare. Fare beating can easily occur, just tell the driver that you had your fare on your phone and it died.

Seems like it will cause more harm than good.

Or even the thug that waits by the turnstile to steal peoples phones as they fumble to get the fare paying app loaded.

To me, its a good idea to accept credit and debit cards. I even use them to park at Muni-Meters. However, I am a little worried because fare machines currently have a tendency to screw up metrocards. It happened on some of the fareboxes at NICE where my MetroCard didn't work anymore because the machine screwed up the strip. If I swipe or put my debit or credit card in a farebox, I wanna know that it won't get broken where I need a new one. That's a huge inconvenience for me.

By that time the majority of cards should have NFC

The MTA should pursue a smart card (Think Oyster Card) system as well. Not everyone that uses Public Transport has a credit or debit card so that should be an option too. Those who use debit/credit cards or the smart cards can pay slightly less than those who just use cash. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Yes, ever since I used the Oystercard I wanted the MTA to implement the same system here.

With the NFC technology, using smart phones to pay is almost viable.

Yes, and since virtually everyone on the subway on bus has a phone or tablet in their hand, I don't see why not.

Cellphones might look like a good idea, but it's not. A) Not everyone has them. and B) You will make them easier to steal so no.

Many people do have cellphones, if you rode public transportation it would be fairly evident. And many people have their cellphones out in the open, I don't see how it would make them easier to steal.

The MTA should pursue a smart card (Think Oyster Card) system as well. Not everyone that uses Public Transport has a credit or debit card so that should be an option too. Those who use debit/credit cards or the smart cards can pay slightly less than those who just use cash. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Yup DC/baltimore has theirs I don't see why NYC can't have one even SEPTA is moving on ahead soon with their smartcards.

I don't remember where I saw this, but I remember reading that PATH was consulting MTA agencies, DOT, NJT, and possibly PATCO and SEPTA when developing SmartLink.

If this is true, this is the first time I've heard of a Port Authority agency being helpful and proactive with other agencies, and it would be a shame if such an effort went to waste.

The way I see it, the MTA is going about it the wrong way, or at least promoting it the wrong way. The MTA should be saying that it is a smartcard system compatible with debit/credit cards, not the other way around. IMO it would be perfect if MTA could suck up its pride, adopt the already-functional SmartLink, and develop something that can read both this and NFC/RFID equipped smartcards. (MTA certainly has the technical expertise to do something like this - they managed to rig countdown clocks, security cameras, and some other things, all with century old infrastructure, so slapping on two card readers or developing a card reader with two sensors shouldn't be in the realm of impossiblity.) However, I suspect that MTA has far too much pride and skin in investing in a system that has never been done before (or so they say), so we're going to see more of the same for a couple more years.

Err it was done before by WMATA and MD and NOVA transit systems all over the region. The smartrip card works in baltimore and DC and fairfax and in loundon county as well as prince william counties and montgomery county MD and prince georges county. Sadly the pathetic howard county systems still are far behind. Also don't forget the MBTA as well.

Yup DC/baltimore has theirs I don't see why NYC can't have one even SEPTA is moving on ahead soon with their smartcards.

Err it was done before by WMATA and MD and NOVA transit systems all over the region. The smartrip card works in baltimore and DC and fairfax and in loundon county as well as prince william counties and montgomery county MD and prince georges county. Sadly the pathetic howard county systems still are far behind. Also don't forget the MBTA as well.

No, MTA would be the first in the country to accept NFC debit cards and credit cards directly at the turnstile - all other systems require purchasing some type of fare media from the agency.

No, MTA would be the first in the country to accept NFC debit cards and credit cards directly at the turnstile - all other systems require purchasing some type of fare media from the agency.

How would they implement transfers? or is this for quick one time uses? I think they may go ahead with this to reduce the need for MVM machines and maintenance.

So, replace turnstiles with ones that accept both MetroCard Classic and MetroCard Touch, and when all turnstiles have been replaced, only sell single ride tickets for a ripoff price for the old system and migrate everything else to the MetroCard Touch.

MetroCard Touch... I like that.

I'm amazed at how long it's going to take to make the switch. Right now, we just need [or, I at least expected to have] an upgraded MetroCard system where we can just tap-and-go. How much faster would bus boarding be with that system in place? ...And swiping on the bus is a no-no. That would take even longer than dipping. Swipe too fast... Swipe too slow... Delays galore. I remember the old fareboxes having a card swipe area.

Thats what they were trying to do , NJT was going to do it but that has stalled.    CT might do it , Philly has plans along with many smaller agencies.    

Baltimore

Boston

San Francisco 

PATH

PATCO

Toronto 

Seattle

San Diego

are some of the agencies or cities that use reloadable Smart cards , there fail rate is very low and they last for years.

Archived