MTA delays new system that will replace MetroCards with 'smart' debit or credit cards

Via Garibaldi 8

I would disagree... While the MetroCards have been improved, they are certainly not where they should be... We still have to go to a subway station to refill the cards and if you forget to refill your card and live in a more suburban area where they are no subways, it's a total PITA to get a MetroCard since the few stores that may sell it often run out or don't have the one that you need, and they also only accept cash to boot. I think at this point and time you should be able to refill your MetroCard online and the (MTA) should create a separate website for this so as not to clog up the main site.

You have a point. It actually be nice to have a site to check your balance and refill your card.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest let's just sick with the MetroCard. It's there already in place and works fine. I mean sure there are swiping mishaps but one just goes to the agent and he or she will hook you up of course always take the receipt.I'd say no to the smart card because not everyone has credit or debit cards and not everyone has a smartphone with NFC. And in addition it's solid state meaning that it won't be easy to fix mechanically.

The technology was pretty much outdated when it debuted (the first smartcards came out in 1997 in Hong Kong, and Cubic offered MTA a smartcard system but they didn't bite). In any case, MTA has publicly stated that keeping the Metrocard past 2019 would be financially prohibitive, and given MTA's speed when it comes to procurement, construction, or anything requiring lots of money that isn't being rushed by a politician, they need to develop this system now.

Theoretically, MTA could suck it up and adopt PATH SmartLink to create a regional transit card, but in their eyes regional cooperation is silly, and brand new, shiny things are better, particularly if they come with more ad revenues and threaten to sock your poorest customers with excessive debit card fees.

Like Chicago (and we've had our share of issues with the new card), the Debit/Credit feature should be optional for all those concerned (and that's the part the public doesn't seem to get). 

My recommendation (not that it matters) is that people should take the time to read the fine print, as well as the T/A to properly market this program to avoid the PR nightmare that Chicago is having with the Ventra Card.

Why does it have to be "contactless"? Why can't we just tap something and go. That would be so much faster than having to swipe or dip a card. I still have to slow down and focus on swiping my card in the subway, and I've been doing it for years.

Well why not a smartphone app virtual metrocard that can be refilled and shown to the driver. Like say you want to use a certain amount of lines the fare is deducted from the loaded pass and a confirmation code is used to board. With contactless card give exclusive transfer deals  and discounts to card holders.

Archived