DART's NABIs To Hit The Streets

DJ MC

Some of the units have already hit the streets on Monday. My friend from Dallas gave me the heads up about them.

Good to hear. 

Damn, I actually liked their RTSs.

I see they also went with the 31LFW with no rear door like NJT. Another stupid move, but it makes me wonder if NABI even offers that on the 31LFW.

To be fair the bus is only 31 feet long. It's not like you have to walk 40 or 60 feet to front door of the bus to exit.

The technology seems nice... hope these don't break down like CTA's 60LFWs lol.

A lot of things wrong with this post already. CTA's models were the only ones built. No one bought these as they were the first attempt by NABI to built a low floor articulated bus. Also these are not articulated bus. NABI has since come a long way from that mess.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DJ MC" data-cid="638856" data-time="1359531756"><p>

A lot of things wrong with this post already. <span style='font-size: 14px;'>CTA's models were the only ones built. No one bought these as they were the first attempt by NABI to built a low floor articulated bus. Also these are not articulated bus. NABI has since come a long way from that mess.</span></p></blockquote>

Quite true; they'll probably do great like NABI's other new models in other agencies.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DJ MC" data-cid="638856" data-time="1359531756"><p>

A lot of things wrong with this post already. <span style='font-size: 14px;'>CTA's models were the only ones built. No one bought these as they were the first attempt by NABI to built a low floor articulated bus. Also these are not articulated bus. NABI has since come a long way from that mess.</span></p></blockquote>

Quite true; they'll probably do great like NABI's other new models in other agencies.

This is also a pretty big order for NABI, so a possible customer for them in this case.

This is also a pretty big order for NABI, so a possible customer for them in this case.

Big not only in bus numbers, but first delivery of the GEN III product !  I will be there to meet with DART in three weeks (unrelated subject matter), I will make sure I get a ride, interested to feel how the new semi composite structure rides.

Big not only in bus numbers, but first delivery of the GEN III product !  I will be there to meet with DART in three weeks (unrelated subject matter), I will make sure I get a ride, interested to feel how the new semi composite structure rides.

I forgot to mention that too. I hope you enjoy riding them. When you do give us some feedback on them.

Yeah, you're probably right. BTW, do you know who will these buses replace? Are they retiring their RTS's?

Yep all the RTS buses will be replaced with this order including the CNG versions. The RTS buses should be completely retired though by 2015.

Yep all the RTS buses will be replaced with this order including the CNG versions. The RTS buses should be completely retired though by 2015.

If I recall correctly, all of their Nova's and NABI's are fueled with LNG.

Some of the units have already hit the streets on Monday. My friend from Dallas gave me the heads up about them.

I saw #39014 the other day during my visit to Dallas. It was signed as "987 RAPID RIDE" even though it was on Northwest Highway at Garland Road, which is nowhere near where Line 987 operates.

Is there a reason for the 5-digit numbers?

No - only 185 of the RTS's are LNG powered.  The remaining RTS's and all of the NABI suburbans are diesels.

Interesting. Al I remember was that DART had some issues in the preliminary stages of LNG fueling roughly 13-14 years ago.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention that too. I hope you enjoy riding them. When you do give us some feedback on them.

I rode 39024 on the #11 route downtown. I would say it has the quietness of the LFS, with the roominess of the XD40's, all in all, in my opinion a really smooth quiet ride.

I rode 39024 on the #11 route downtown. I would say it has the quietness of the LFS, with the roominess of the XD40's, all in all, in my opinion a really smooth quiet ride.

Glad to hear that. ;)

Archived