Do you feel media potrayal of violence has affected our everyday lives

Turbo19

Do you feel media potrayal of violence has affected our everyday lives? I've been meaning to ask this for a while but now I find this question much more relevant. You'll see why after I give a synopsis of my situation.

Currently I'm attending high school. Students and staff at our campus recieve a 30 minute lunch block in which we were free to leave campus, key word were. That all changes beginning tommorrow. Beginning tommorrow, the student population WILL NOT be able to leave campus for their lunch break at all.

This means the campus will be more crowded than ever as students will be forced to remain on the grounds. Their defense is that this reduces outside violence, but in my opinion it increases violence inside. Containing students isn't a good solution at all. What's even more atrocious is that staff for the most part be free to leave. So this is essentailly a jailing. An unrightful one.

From what I see people are already petitioning aganist the schools ruling and are expected to form a strike on Monday. I'm not advocating violence within the student body but I can't wait for the first fight tommorrow. It's bound to happen, and fights here are as often as our area's rainfall, very sporadic.

So my question to you is, are you experiencing the affects of media potrayal of violence, either directly or indirectly (similar to my situation)?

Please keep the discussion relevant and professional, thanks.

Do you feel media potrayal of violence has affected our everyday lives? I've been meaning to ask this for a while but now I find this question much more relevant. You'll see why after I give a synopsis of my situation.

Currently I'm attending high school. Students and staff at our campus recieve a 30 minute lunch block in which we were free to leave campus, key word were. That all changes beginning tommorrow. Beginning tommorrow, the student population WILL NOT be able to leave campus for their lunch break at all.

This means the campus will be more crowded than ever as students will be forced to remain on the grounds. Their defense is that this reduces outside violence, but in my opinion it increases violence inside. Containing students isn't a good solution at all. What's even more atrocious is that staff for the most part be free to leave. So this is essentailly a jailing. An unrightful one.

From what I see people are already petitioning aganist the schools ruling and are expected to form a strike on Monday. I'm not advocating violence within the student body but I can't wait for the first fight tommorrow. It's bound to happen, and fights here are as often as our area's rainfall, very sporadic.

So my question to you is, are you experiencing the affects of media potrayal of violence, either directly or indirectly (similar to my situation)?

This is just under nonsense. Yes, the media does promote violence. Just look at all the recent shootings.

This is just under nonsense. Yes, the media does promote violence. Just look at all the recent shootings.

I'm not asking if the media promotes violence. What I'm asking if media potrayal of violence has affected you in either an direct fashion or indirect fashion.

Besides the recent shootings for the most part have just been the result of a few basket cases that went over the edge. Nothing else and nothing more.

I'm not asking if the media promotes violence. What I'm asking if media potrayal of violence has affected you in either an direct fashion or indirect fashion.

Besides the recent shootings for the most part have just been the result of a few basket cases that went over the edge. Nothing else and nothing more.

Well, in that sense, yes. I'm always on edge now with all the recent events or what have you. It's clear that the world is becoming a dangerous place. But I suppose that's just a sign of the times.

Well, in that sense, yes. I'm always on edge now with all the recent events or what have you. It's clear that the world is becoming a dangerous place. But I suppose that's just a sign of the times.

And why do you feel this way? I don't see this country let alone world dangerous at all.

I will also add that your statement went against at least 90% of your beliefs, but for relevance I digress.

TBH, I don't see what the big deal is about staying inside for those 30 minutes. I mean, my school makes kids stay inside for lunch, and we rarely have fights. (I mean, they don't put the place on lockdown or anything, but still)

I do see what you are saying, but it's a matter of principle over anything else. Why is the district using recent tragic events as a scapegoat in an attempt to contain the student population. That's what's angering me and other students more than anything.

How so?

Well the world is dangerous in your opinion. Why do you feel that way?

I do see what you are saying, but it's a matter of principle over anything else. Why is the district using recent tragic events as a scapegoat in an attempt to contain the student population. That's what's angering me and other students more than anything.

Well the world is dangerous in your opinion. Why do you feel that way?

Don't you guys have a voice in your school? Write a petition or something saying why you dislike the idea.

Don't you guys have a voice in your school? Write a petition or something saying why you dislike the idea.

Please read my original post again.

Well, they are abusing your rights, something that I would not condone.

Me either.

In this world today exists much corruption and oppression of the poor. Meanwhile many of those who are rich are very much apathetic and uncaring to the sufferings of others. Which makes many people so fed up with society they well, just go a-wall and snap.

On top of that the mainstream media hypocritically protray such ones fed up with the corruption as misfits, when in fact they are just fed up with the state of this system of things and that includes our own country. No wonder we are seeing alot of angst among the masses today. This is a symptom of social decay due to the widening gap between the rich and the poor, and those oppressed by a cruel, cold, apathetic, racist and opressive society full of greed and corruption. The current status quo promotes class distinction and believe me many red blooded lower middle class Americans are fed up with the bullshit. They are sick of tired of the lies  the US government protrays and the false propaganda it spews out using the mainstream media as well as the entertainment industry as it's mouthpiece and as it's spokesperson.

I'm sure I will be called out on this post but really I could care less what the haters think. I'm going to say it for what it is.

Well here's some partial good news. The "lockdown" has been post-poned and a final desicion made next week.

What's sad though is that that they still make an example of not only the recent fatalities but even some from nearly 14 years ago (we all remember that one, right?), which to me is a kick in the victims faces.

Turbo: that would suck royally if you weren't allowed to go out for lunch. In my senior year, we were allowed to go out for lunch, the other 3 classes had to eat in school grounds. I do feel it is an over reaction as there was no issues in the past and stuff like Sandy Hook, as tragic as it is, are just isolated incidents. If the schools are so worried about violence or weapons being smuggled in, then perhaps it's time to make metal detectors mandatory for all schools as well as having cops around to make sure no one comes in with a loaded weapon.

Turbo: that would suck royally if you weren't allowed to go out for lunch. In my senior year, we were allowed to go out for lunch, the other 3 classes had to eat in school grounds. I do feel it is an over reaction as there was no issues in the past and stuff like Sandy Hook, as tragic as it is, are just isolated incidents. If the schools are so worried about violence or weapons being smuggled in, then perhaps it's time to make metal detectors mandatory for all schools as well as having cops around to make sure no one comes in with a loaded weapon.

Well my Jr. High did have metal detectors and the occasional squad car with contracted security. The school district even had their own police department.

But anyway, you have a point. It is a reward, specifically for the upper classmen. And like I said, these isolated incidents shouldn't be made examples of.

Personally, I feel that violent content is promoted far too much in our society in general. A lot of the people I go to school with are morons who spend every moment of every day playing first person shooters like CoD, and then acting as if that is an appropriate way to behave in real life. I feel this especially is relevant in history class - we covered the Holocaust around November/December and watched movies relating to the topic, and I was disgusted in so many ways to learn that some people thought it to be an amusing topic to cover.

Frankly I feel that shooting games are far too easily accessible - there may be a select few individuals who play the games but are able to tell the difference between real life and fantasy, but they are few and in between.

I used to go to Hillcrest HS in Jamaica Queens, once the most violent school in NYC and consequently part of the pilot metal detector program. They had that school on lockdown after someone got shot and killed on Parsons Bvld. Until I graduated, they did'nt allow anyone to leave school for lunch. And this was in the early 90's.

I remember when Wu Tang Clan shot part of a video there (Ice Cream), remember that like yesterday. Nas used to chill there at times too (met him), also Lost Boys (met Freaky Tah before he was murdered), Craig Mack, LL Cool J (He actually went to Jamaica HS), Gravediggers (met them too), Super Cat and alot of other renowned hip hop and reggae artists. This school had quite a rich pop culture history behind the name.

Personally, I feel that violent content is promoted far too much in our society in general. A lot of the people I go to school with are morons who spend every moment of every day playing first person shooters like CoD, and then acting as if that is an appropriate way to behave in real life. I feel this especially is relevant in history class - we covered the Holocaust around November/December and watched movies relating to the topic, and I was disgusted in so many ways to learn that some people thought it to be an amusing topic to cover.

Well such behavior is no doubt unacceptable, but I don't agree that forms of media such as FPS's are nessacarily to blame.

With that said however, I'm nowhere near a fan of FPS's for many reasons, but mainly because players of such games conduct themselves exactly how you described.

Frankly I feel that shooting games are far too easily accessible - there may be a select few individuals who play the games but are able to tell the difference between real life and fantasy, but they are few and in between.

Now I feel that this is a sub-topic but I'll comment briefly on the issue.

Whether or not individuals are capable of distinguishing acts and themes potrayed in video games apart from reality is an issue independent from avaliability of video games. The way I see it, I feel there is sufficent regulation, and as it is it's already too much.

I used to go to Hillcrest HS in Jamaica Queens, once the most violent school in NYC and consequently part of the pilot metal detector program. They had that school on lockdown after someone got shot and killed on Parsons Bvld. Until I graduated, they did'nt allow anyone to leave school for lunch. And this was in the early 90's.

I still don't find that a legitamate reason for locking down the campus.

I still don't find that a legitamate reason for locking down the campus.

I did'nt either. But that was'nt stopping me from sneaking out and heading to Mickey D's. Think that's why I failed the Social Studies class lol. Never used to come back in time. Oh man I remember smoking cigs in the bathroom (and weed), sneaking in malt liquor (St Ides, Crazy Horse and Old English). There's more with the girls I was fooling around with but that's Rated NG-17 so I'll shut my mouth now.....

I did'nt either. But that was'nt stopping me from sneaking out and heading to Mickey D's. Think that's why I failed the Social Studies class lol. Never used to come back in time. Oh man I remember smoking cigs in the bathroom (and weed), sneaking in malt liquor (St Ides, Crazy Horse and Old English). There's more with the girls I was fooling around with but that's Rated NG-17 so I'll shut my mouth now.....

Well if the school has their way, there will be an influx of this off-campus which goes against what the school wants.

Archived