New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

17 hours ago, Tranzitfan81 said:

Washington Twp garage is out with the backward assignments again:

This whole week during the evening rush; the 403 and 459 which are EXACT FARE lines have been receiving new 18000s while

Two Full Service MCI lines 406 and 412 are using NABIs.  This evening has been no exception:

403:18044 enroute to Camden

459: 18006 enroute to Voorhees

412:5346 headed towards Glassboro

406: 5357 towards Berlin.

Ironically 5357 was on the 459 earlier in the day.  I wonder why NJ Transit doesn't operate like a lot of the West Coast agencies.  For instance, Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority has their drivers switch shifts at the end of the line. The drivers switch, the relieving driver takes over the bus while the finishing driver usually gets in an agency car or SUV and drives back to the garage. I think that will help with the bus shortage and maybe there wouldn't be so many odd bus assignments. 

If you're talking about reliefs being made along the line, NJT does plenty of that.  Can't speak for South Jersey but up north, just about every garage does that on certain runs, except for Oradell.  

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for a lack of trying here, but I saw something saying that the MTA announced that they will replace their diesel trains (15, as announced) on the Port Jervis line with the SC-44 Charger. And before I get grilled on about how that's a MTA issue, yes it is, but NJT operates the line.

So thoughts on seeing the Charger on NJT rails?

• 3 months later...

I was looking at bus schedules out of pure boredom, and noticed that the 31 no longer serve Livingston Mall, St. Barnabas hospital & Maplewood Loop. When did Coach decided to cut the route as far as South Orange center?

1 hour ago, go25 said:

I was looking at bus schedules out of pure boredom, and noticed that the 31 no longer serve Livingston Mall, St. Barnabas hospital & Maplewood Loop. When did Coach decided to cut the route as far as South Orange center?

In late January of this year ... or probably around that time last year. I know it's one of those two choices since I remember seeing the notices when I was on the 31.

Just not enough ridership I guess. I remember that before the service stopped, they really had cut back on the service to those three locations for a while and then, nothing.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:06 PM, Silver Script said:

In late January of this year ... or probably around that time last year. I know it's one of those two choices since I remember seeing the notices when I was on the 31.

Just not enough ridership I guess. I remember that before the service stopped, they really had cut back on the service to those three locations for a while and then, nothing.

I can understand the Maplewood Loop segment getting dropped (tumbleweeds for passengers). The Livingston Mall via St. Barnabas Hospital one, that is a head scratcher, at best

On 8/8/2018 at 4:16 PM, GojiMet86 said:

I'm thinking about walking the GW bridge (never done it) with someone. However, said person just wants to walk one way. I am seeing that you can catch a bus from Bridge Plaza to the terminal for a special fare of $1.85 (cash). Where exactly do I catch the bus, and what are all the lines that have the special fare?

You know you can also hitchhike across the GWB from that bus stop? I've done it a few times. Some people want to carpool with 2 other people so they get the HOV discount.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, go25 said:

I inquired about the same thing on here around March or April of this year.... Anyway, I remember riding out of Livingston Mall on the #31 before they got truncated & those suckers would be packed..... IDK man, I just don't get it....

Although I like the rides on the #70 & the #73 from a fanning perspective, getting to/from Livingston Mall was simply quicker on the #31.... Now buses barely serve South Orange ctr. & practically everything emanates from Dover st....

11 hours ago, go25 said:

I can understand the Maplewood Loop segment getting dropped (tumbleweeds for passengers). The Livingston Mall via St. Barnabas Hospital one, that is a head scratcher, at best

Agreed.

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

You know you can also hitchhike across the GWB from that bus stop? I've done it a few times. Some people want to carpool with 2 other people so they get the HOV discount.

Always thought of trying it, but I've never really been in a position to do it....

IDRC much for fanning the [PABT -  Ft. Lee] routes & whenever I ride out of GWB, it's usually the #171....

47 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I inquired about the same thing on here around March or April of this year.... Anyway, I remember riding out of Livingston Mall on the #31 before they got truncated & those suckers would be packed..... IDK man, I just don't get it....

Although I like the rides on the #70 & the #73 from a fanning perspective, getting to/from Livingston Mall was simply quicker on the #31.... Now buses barely serve South Orange ctr. & practically everything emanates from Dover st.... 

Couldn't agree about the #31 being crush loaded to/from Livingston Mall. So now the people who live in that section of Newark that work and/or shop in the Livingston area now have to take the #31 to transfer points for the #70 and #73? That's too much transfers to deal with. IDK what Coach is thinking but this smells familiar in the way they cut the 4, 10/99s & 16 bus routes in Jersey City...

Edited by go25
Added a comment

17 hours ago, go25 said:

Couldn't agree about the #31 being crush loaded to/from Livingston Mall. So now the people who live in that section of Newark that work and/or shop in the Livingston area now have to take the #31 to transfer points for the #70 and #73? That's too much transfers to deal with. IDK what Coach is thinking but this smells familiar in the way they cut the 4, 10/99s & 16 bus routes in Jersey City...

Coach Usa is know for just cutting Routes and leaving certain areas deserted....Transit and A&C had to take over those routes you metioned  above...After they took over the routes...Go figure:blink: 

8 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Coach Usa is know for just cutting Routes and leaving certain areas deserted....Transit and A&C had to take over those routes you metioned  above...After they took over the routes...Go figure:blink: 

It's a joke, nonetheless

Simple question: Which individual route has the most variants? (Not one route broken up into separate routes like the infamous #1-3-9... Lol....)

Off top, I'ma say the #165; there's a slew of different variants to that route....

* There's the local, of course.... #165
* Then there that turnpike express that runs from Westwood (full route) or River Edge (a short turn).... #165T
* Then there's that other turnpike express that runs via rt. 4, that runs from Westwood or Oradell, that shoots nonstop from River Edge to PABT....#165R?
* Then there's those 2 separate parkway expresses (both that run from Westwood - but one runs via Forest av & the other one runs via Oradell, along Kinderkamack, etc. after serving the exit 165 park & ride).... #165FX, #165P - respectively

So far that's 5, and I feel like I'm missing one... The only one I haven't been on, is that turnpike express via rt. 4....

======================

The #76 got a quite a bit of 'em too.... There's the local #76L, the Meadowlands variant #76M, the variant that runs to that office park #76P, and the express variant that goes non stop b/w Newark & Rutherford #76X

23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Simple question: Which individual route has the most variants? (Not one route broken up into separate routes like the infamous #1-3-9... Lol....)

Off top, I'ma say the #165; there's a slew of different variants to that route....

* There's the local, of course.... #165
* Then there that turnpike express that runs from Westwood (full route) or River Edge (a short turn).... #165T
* Then there's that other turnpike express that runs via rt. 4, that runs from Westwood or Oradell, that shoots nonstop from River Edge to PABT....#165R?
* Then there's those 2 separate parkway expresses (both that run from Westwood - but one runs via Forest av & the other one runs via Oradell, along Kinderkamack, etc. after serving the exit 165 park & ride).... #165FX, #165P - respectively

So far that's 5, and I feel like I'm missing one... The only one I haven't been on, is that turnpike express via rt. 4....

======================

The #76 got a quite a bit of 'em too.... There's the local #76L, the Meadowlands variant #76M, the variant that runs to that office park #76P, and the express variant that goes non stop b/w Newark & Rutherford #76X

The one you're missing is the local trips via Teterboro.

But yeah, I believe one of the PABT buses has the highest variants. It may actually be the 165. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:51 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The one you're missing is the local trips via Teterboro.

But yeah, I believe one of the PABT buses has the highest variants. It may actually be the 165. 

Heh, didn't even know that there were 165 locals went via Teterboro... I was more thinking of another 165 variant with its own/separate suffix... Could have sworn there was a 165x, but it looks like there isn't... Probably thinking of the 166x at the time.....

--------------------------

The Doug & Adrienne maps are a decent resource (I've used it for many trips/itineraries in the past), but they're rather dated.... The NJT Mybusnow maps are much more accurate, but I've seen minor (and rather stupid) errors on their maps too.... The one that comes to mind (which they apparently fixed now) was the #308 Great Adventures route... It was just a direct diagonal line from PABT to Six Flags... Same deal with the #315, a diagonal/point-to-point straight line from Philly to Cape May....

I'm going to create another google account (separate of the one I have all my other maps on) & go apeshit on drawing every single NJT route/variant... These will not feature any proposals, instead, what these routes are really doing... Something I've always wanted to do.... I eventually want to do this for Bee-Line as well....

Edited by B35 via Church

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Heh, didn't even know that there were 165 locals went via Teterboro... I was more thinking of another 165 variant with its own/separate suffix... Could have sworn there was a 165x, but it looks like there isn't... Probably thinking of the 166x at the time.....

--------------------------

The Doug & Adrienne maps are a decent resource (I've used it for many trips/itineraries in the past), but they're rather dated.... The NJT Mybusnow maps are much more accurate, but I've seen minor (and rather stupid) errors on their maps too.... The one that comes to mind (which they apparently fixed now) was the #308 Great Adventures route... It was just a direct diagonal line from PABT to Six Flags... Same deal with the #315, a diagonal/point-to-point straight line from Philly to Cape May....

I'm going to create another google account (separate of the one I have all my other maps on) & go apeshit on drawing every single NJT route/variant... These will not feature any proposals, instead, what these routes are really doing... Something I've always wanted to do.... I eventually want to do this for Bee-Line as well....

Funny that you say that, because I'm working on a map right now for the Rockland Coaches routes (See Here), as the Doug & Adrienne maps don't have them on their maps. It's not completely done, and I'm sure there's stuff that needs to be fixed. The issue is that there's no map out there any of the routes. 

9 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Funny that you say that, because I'm working on a map right now for the Rockland Coaches routes (See Here), as the Doug & Adrienne maps don't have them on their maps. It's not completely done, and I'm sure there's stuff that needs to be fixed. The issue is that there's no map out there any of the routes. 

Rockland Coaches.... nice.

Many moons ago, one of the first times I fanned the #20, I literally sat there (on the bus) & wrote down all the turns & roads/streets the thing made from PABT to Palisades.... The other routes, forget it; never knew what the hell they did.... Anyway, while I've been on some of the other RC routes, the ones I didn't go on, to be perfectly honest, I never really wanted to fan.....

What did you use as a reference for that map you're making?

• Timepoints on the timetables?
  • Memory of having rode them before?
  • Something else?

46 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Rockland Coaches.... nice.

Many moons ago, one of the first times I fanned the #20, I literally sat there (on the bus) & wrote down all the turns & roads/streets the thing made from PABT to Palisades.... The other routes, forget it; never knew what the hell they did.... Anyway, while I've been on some of the other RC routes, the ones I didn't go on, to be perfectly honest, I never really wanted to fan.....

What did you use as a reference for that map you're making?

• Timepoints on the timetables?
  • Memory of having rode them before?
  • Something else?

For a good majority, I used timepoints, since they were on the same street. I assumed that there were no deviations since the runtimes are rather tight. Some of the routings (like the 20 through Englewood) are based from what I've personally seen. The 14 route between Englewood and Tenafly was based on some pdf I found from Tenafly proper describing the routes through the bus shelter. 

For others, where there are multiple ways of getting from one way to another, I used google maps to see which time resembles the runtime the most. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

What are the routes where the Neoplan Artics are the dominant fleet? Only been on a NJT Neoplan once a few years ago and it was a PABT route, never been on the Newark division units.

53 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The #13, #70, & the #159....

You'll usually see artics of route 70 on a Sunday. Though there was a ultra rare occurance of one being active on a weekday service in which I've seen on MyBus a couple weeks ago.

Don't forget route 39 has them too if you're talking Newark based routing. I agree with B35 via Church about the 159 line New York service. Throw in 158 as well

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 12:42 PM, go25 said:

So A&C Bus Corp has decided to end the #4 route, effective next month due to low ridership. Thoughts?

Its low on ridership because they cut the buses...When Layfayette& Greenville operated both the local-Newport-Todays #4 and #3 todays #6 they ran them quite frequently...Especially the local...only way see them doing that they have the 81 serve both newport and exchange place....Whats gonna serve newport from ocean ave if they do that