New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

6 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Its low on ridership because they cut the buses...When Layfayette& Greenville operated both the local-Newport-Todays #4 and #3 todays #6 they ran them quite frequently...Especially the local...only way see them doing that they have the 81 serve both newport and exchange place....Whats gonna serve newport from ocean ave if they do that

Doesn't this reek of how Red & Tan in Hudson County ran the route?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Q Broadway Express said:

Maybe NJT will pick up the #4. They did the #6 and the #10.

They should...Or give it to Acadamy 22 hillside...That's not a low ridership line...Coach Usa and AC corp made it a low ridership line with the reduced service they started to provide once the take over....Most ppl including myself dont use it anymore cause of the waiting times...

9 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

They should...Or give it to Acadamy 22 hillside...That's not a low ridership line...Coach Usa and AC corp made it a low ridership line with the reduced service they started to provide once the take over....Most ppl including myself dont use it anymore cause of the waiting times...

Or it could be that A&C Bus is short on drivers or a bit cash strapped? *shrugs*

On 2/20/2019 at 8:21 AM, B35 via Church said:

I don't see NJT picking up the #4 as a standalone route.... I'm not so certain that they'll fuse it into some current service either....

I will admit though that bus service to/around Newport Mall sucks.....

Well njt did take over the standalone #3 route...lol...But if they go by that logic then ocean av/pacific st will be left without any bus service.....which is surrounded by alot of residential areas not to mention alot of senior citizens

20 hours ago, Q Broadway Express said:

Which routes currently serve Newport Mall?

From Greenville Garage and it's the strangest thing. None of the current routes serve Newport Mall. The closest route to Newport Mall they have is the 126 Jersey City - Hamilton Park during rush hour.

The only NJ TRANSIT route I can think of that goes into Newport Mall is route 86, but that's from Meadowlands Garage and it serves Union City.

AC Bus Corp has its Montgomery & Westside Route to Newport Mall. Other than that, the Hudson-Bergen Lightrail gets the bulk of the ridership to the mall. It's going suck really bad now because the light rail stations: Westside Ave, MLK Drive and Garfield will be close for year because of pipelines underneath the rails need replacement. Who's going to do bus shuttle service is up in the air. Rush hour will be a drag, need to have service up until 2am. I know Mountgomery & Westside route will be slammed crush loads to the Mall while the 80 and 87 perhaps as well if people want to take Path from Journal Sq. to the mall or 80 to Exchange Place. Those extra buses from the 4 line would come in handy to help the M&W route

Edited by Ron2themax

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Well njt did take over the standalone #3 route...lol...But if they go by that logic then ocean av/pacific st will be left without any bus service.....which is surrounded by alot of residential areas not to mention alot of senior citizens

That's when the politicians like the major of Jersey City and Council comes in. People should complain and let there voice heard. That happened with the 10 line I think

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Lol.... I wasn't remotely implicating that NJT isn't susceptible to taking over any routes.....

That said, I think what you brought up earlier (an #81N or whatever) would happen before they take over the #4... Well, as is anyway.

If they do end up taking the thing over, they're going to be frugal as shit about it - and (as always) the riders are going to feel the effects of it.

1 hour ago, Ron2themax said:

That's when the politicians like the major of Jersey City and Council comes in. People should complain and let there voice heard. That happened with the 10 line I think

Rally cries.... Isn't that how they got the #119 also?

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol.... I wasn't remotely implicating that NJT isn't susceptible to taking over any routes.....

That said, I think what you brought up earlier (an #81N or whatever) would happen before they take over the #4... Well, as is anyway.

If they do end up taking the thing over, they're going to be frugal as shit about it - and (as always) the riders are going to feel the effects of it.

Rally cries.... Isn't that how they got the #119 also?

I believe so for the 119 as well

I inquired as to whether private carrier equipment would be assigned to the A&C 4 in the future and I was told no. That means either NJT is going to run it or it is going to go away. It could also be that the 6 service is increased and Journal Square is used as a transfer point for Newport Mall.

It may be possible to operate a route like the 4 with reduced weekday midday frequencies coordinated with the 6. That means you are running it with one bus during the midday hours. The sketch I had on paper would run it with a Grove Street short turn alternating with a Newport Mall bus during rush hours. The Saturday and Sunday schedules look like an effort to run the route with two buses and I think that should be maintained if possible. However, if they (NJT) do not think it is worth it, then I am not sure I should invest the energy either. Academy's Sayreville run is a lot more interesting.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, JAzumah said:

.....and Journal Square is used as a transfer point for Newport Mall.

This is more or less my sentiment on the matter.

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has a NABI or Neoplan ever run on the 308 bus route?

Can't say/Don't know....

If it has though, it would be reminiscent of those O5 CNG's that would run to Jones beach back during the LIB days.....

25 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

NJT has modified the 86 to serve parts of the former A&C 4 since last Saturday.

Thats only helping the downtown portion....The entire ocean ave is where most of the ridership comes from....That gonna just make the 86 longer than it has to...They should have modified the 81 in my opinion...