New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, go25 said:

Been seeing the older operators teaching/showing new operators on the daily, whether it's near the Ferry St. Training area or out on a ride along whichever route they are to be trained. Sometimes they have up to 3 trainees with them

I've also seen an operator being trained at Secaucus Junction yesterday.., Looks like she was being taught how to reverse a 40 footer & a 45 footer....Destination signage (on the NABI at least) read "student driver" and everything....

I was sitting/waiting for the #78 for almost an hour or so (this was around 12 noon)... The trainer was standing on the driver's side, giving her instructions or whatever... Don't know what was said, since all that was going on, on the opposite side of the terminal (which Secaucus Junction is quite wide/expansive)....

side note: What buses even pickup/dropoff on that other side of the terminal anyway (the exit side) anymore? Unless I'm missing something, it has way too many bays....

Edited by B35 via Church

56 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

side note: What buses even pickup/dropoff on that other side of the terminal anyway (the exit side) anymore? Unless I'm missing something, it has way too many bays....

I think it’s those EZ Ride shuttle buses (the ones that serve Willowbrook Mall to that food factory behind I-80 in Wayne, and I think I’ve seen them in Newark as well)

1 hour ago, 46Dover said:

I think it’s those EZ Ride shuttle buses (the ones that serve Willowbrook Mall to that food factory behind I-80 in Wayne, and I think I’ve seen them in Newark as well)

Didn't know this even existed, I'm looking at their routes right now:

232: Kearny

241: One Harrison

273: Harmon Meadow

555: Rutherford-Lyndhurst

566: The Monarch

610: Route 10

646: Fairfield-West Caldwell

843: HelloFresh

Night Owls

636: East Orange

647: Irvington

691/692/693/694: Newark

Wave Shuttle

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Didn't know this even existed, I'm looking at their routes right now:

232: Kearny

241: One Harrison

273: Harmon Meadow

555: Rutherford-Lyndhurst

566: The Monarch

610: Route 10

646: Fairfield-West Caldwell

843: HelloFresh

Night Owls

636: East Orange

647: Irvington

691/692/693/694: Newark

Wave Shuttle

So the 646 is the one I see in Fairfield on 46 and the 843 is the one I see at Willowbrook 

1 hour ago, go25 said:

No dude, the old Ferry St. Shops. It was repurpised as a training center

Oh where would the ferry street shops be idk much about newark east of penn station 

Edit never mind i found it on the map

Edited by BreeddekalbL

- Had a nice FREE ride on the #197 from Alps Rd. to NYC yesterday (after riding the full #744 to the shell-of-its-former-self that is now Preakness Shopping Center)... Broken farebox on #20018, according to the b/o.... I still have to get around to taking the full #197 up to Warwick again one day.

43 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

Completely forgot about those shuttles... I was only thinking about that #356 (Secaucus Junction - American Dream) route that terminated on that side of Secaucus Junction.

Regarding those shuttles, the only ones that exist that end at Secaucus Junction anymore (after looking at this list) is that Harmon-Meadow shuttle (which exploits the lack of reverse peak service on the NJT #78...) & that shuttle to/from The Monarch apartments.... Apparently, the Challenger road shuttle & the Harmon Cove shuttle that serviced Secaucus Junction have been discontinued.... So that's 4 shuttles instead of now 2, which explains those (unused) bays there....

Yep, I've seen that Hello Fresh shuttle at Willowbrook Mall on a few occasions about a year or so ago.... According to this though, that shuttle no longer runs to/from Willowbrook Mall... It serves some employee off-site parking lot now instead.... News to me...

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Mall on a few occasions about a year or so ago.... According to this though, that shuttle no longer runs to/from Willowbrook Mall... It serves some employee off-site parking lot now instead.... News to me...

Same.  I would expect a load of folks to go back to New York on the 194, 197 or 198 alone from Hello Fresh.  

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

- Had a nice FREE ride on the #197 from Alps Rd. to NYC yesterday (after riding the full #744 to the shell-of-its-former-self that is now Preakness Shopping Center)... Broken farebox on #20018, according to the b/o.... I still have to get around to taking the full #197 up to Warwick again one day.

I missed an opportunity to see you then. Friday was my last day of my pick on the PABT-Pompton Lakes 197.  The Warwick side of Alps is torn up because of construction which NJT/Wayne Twp has temporarily eliminated (took them long enough).  I was hoping not to be challenged by some passenger or someone doing jumping jacks as a measure of getting my attention, to board or alight that stop which thankfully has not been the case.

27 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Seem like both Greenville and Meadowlands shareing both the 119 and 10...Just Saw 2 Greenviile Nabis on the 119

119 is more Meadowlands I've noticed. 10 is more Greenville. 22 and 23 are Meadowlands as well but I've seen a Greenville NABI on the 22 on occasion. 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:19 PM, go25 said:

Aren't you a NY guy?

Hell, there's only but a few NY-ers on this forum alone that even talks about anything NJT (let alone exuding a certain knowing of NJ's streets)....

On 6/27/2022 at 2:11 AM, 46Dover said:

Same.  I would expect a load of folks to go back to New York on the 194, 197 or 198 alone from Hello Fresh.  

I expect a load of folks from NYC to order from Hello Fresh, but commuting to work in a warehouse industrial Totowa, I seriously doubt it....

Then again, there are plenty of NY-ers that take #116's Nah, I don't see too many NY-ers willing to work in a warehouse that deep into NJ.... While there's a sizable amount that work in Moonachie (I know of about a handful of companies that ended up moving out there from NYC),

On 6/27/2022 at 2:27 AM, 46Dover said:

I missed an opportunity to see you then. Friday was my last day of my pick on the PABT-Pompton Lakes 197.  The Warwick side of Alps is torn up because of construction which NJT/Wayne Twp has temporarily eliminated (took them long enough).  I was hoping not to be challenged by some passenger or someone doing jumping jacks as a measure of getting my attention, to board or alight that stop which thankfully has not been the case.

Thank f*** I didn't decide to start my trip doing the #197 to Alps rd. to catch the #744 (which I was considering doing), because I would've never known about that stop being temporarily discontinued.... The last time I did the #744 to the #197, that roadwork along 504 was in its infancy stages... Didn't think it was still ongoing, b/c at the time, it looked like basic roadwork.... What are they supposed to be fixing over there anyway?

If you don't mind me asking, what route{s} will you primarily be doing now?

On 6/27/2022 at 9:42 PM, mfs NJT459 said:

Only Newton Ave and Washington Twp operating the 316 this Summer and Twp already has 5332 on the 316 

From Philadelphia to Cape May in a NABI, good lord.....

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Hell, there's only but a few NY-ers on this forum alone that even talks about anything NJT (let alone exuding a certain knowing of NJ's streets)....

I expect a load of folks from NYC to order from Hello Fresh, but commuting to work in a warehouse industrial Totowa, I seriously doubt it....

Then again, there are plenty of NY-ers that take #116's Nah, I don't see too many NY-ers willing to work in a warehouse that deep into NJ.... While there's a sizable amount that work in Moonachie (I know of about a handful of companies that ended up moving out there from NYC),

Thank f*** I didn't decide to start my trip doing the #197 to Alps rd. to catch the #744 (which I was considering doing), because I would've never known about that stop being temporarily discontinued.... The last time I did the #744 to the #197, that roadwork along 504 was in its infancy stages... Didn't think it was still ongoing, b/c at the time, it looked like basic roadwork.... What are they supposed to be fixing over there anyway?

From Philadelphia to Cape May in a NABI, good lord.....

They've been doing that a lot.  I think now with the Summer schedule the 316 will be the victim especially during the week.  During the April schedule; the 551 and 554 were seeing NABIs every weekday.  The 551 and 554 still see NABIs but is not as often as they did during Spring schedule.  More Newton Avenue MCIs have been helping on all Twp MCIs routes: Today- 19135 was a 401, Yesterday 18129 was a 554 and 19138 was also helping on the 406 and I think Friday 19129 was a 401 and 410.   Washington Twp is down 4 18Ks due to collisions so this will be a norm until they can get those replaced or repaired. 

On 7/3/2022 at 5:58 AM, B35 via Church said:

Saturdays I have the 198 (round trip), then 195 at 5:20 out of Willowbrook with a 191 round trip and a 195 out of Port Authority.  Sundays I’m the last 4 inbounds on the 192.  Mondays I have the 199, 195X (with that horrific entry into Gate 230 🤦‍♂️), and a 191 round trip.

Tuesday and Wednesday I have 2 324 trips and I finish with a 194 to Stockholm.  I’m off Thursdays and Fridays, but it’s 4th of July and I’m feeling greedy 😁

Lakeland used to drop off at Willowbrook  Mall on the side of US 46 East, however with construction of the area that came to an end.  With construction complete it was expected to resume drop off services, but the finished construction has left no room for the buses to pull off to the side, so Lakeland will no longer stop at Willowbrook

What’s going on with Community’s 77 line? I took it last week and I was talking with a fellow passenger and she said she was fed up with how horrible community runs the 77 line. Missing trips, late buses, it got so bad they had to get a senator involved.

3 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Saturdays I have the 198 (round trip), then 195 at 5:20 out of Willowbrook with a 191 round trip and a 195 out of Port Authority.  

Sundays I’m the last 4 inbounds on the 192.  Mondays I have the 199, 195X (with that horrific entry into Gate 230 🤦‍♂️), and a 191 round trip.

Tuesday and Wednesday I have 2 324 trips and I finish with a 194 to Stockholm.  I’m off Thursdays and Fridays, but it’s 4th of July and I’m feeling greedy 😁

So you're mainly doing the locals on weekends.... A month or so ago, I wanted to do the #195 full... Handed the b/o the ticket... Asked where I was going... Said Willowbrook Mall... He then said "233" (I knew what he meant by that)... I just descended off the bus w/o conflict.... Some b/o's on the route 9 routes do that shit also.... If I want to ride the #135 to Freehold Center instead of the #130 or the #139, I would do so.... I always go in believing that b/o's that do that are trying to be helpful, but now I'm starting to believe that most of them do that shit, do so full knowing that little to no one takes their particular trip the whole way - Meaning, they can dick around doing god knows what, after they drop off the last passenger.... Which is their business, but these are still fixed routes we're talking about here...

The #324.... When I first started fanning the Wayne expresses, I would swear by that route & embark on it every chance I got... I haven't rode it too much, since then..... I keep procrastinating with this, but I have to get around to compiling a list of all the weekday only routes & tackling them whenever I get a chance to do so... But in general, I'm getting pretty sick of (somehow, almost always) finding myself in Paterson with these NNJ fantrips (that, or Newark-Penn).... The Wayne routes I typically like... The Oradell routes OTOH, not so much (it's not just the Blvd. East stint either)...

What's the story with gate 230 btw?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

What’s going on with Community’s 77 line? I took it last week and I was talking with a fellow passenger and she said she was fed up with how horrible community runs the 77 line. Missing trips, late buses, it got so bad they had to get a senator involved.

I'd like to know what's going on with Community Coach, period... I'm not joining any mailing list to get a schedule of what's supposed to be a public bus route....

Edited by B35 via Church

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

A month or so ago, I wanted to do the #195 full... Handed the b/o the ticket... Asked where I was going... Said Willowbrook Mall... He then said "233" (I knew what he meant by that)... I just descended off the bus w/o conflict.... Some b/o's on the route 9 routes do that shit also.... If I want to ride the #135 to Freehold Center instead of the #130 or the #139, I would do so.... I always go in believing that b/o's that do that are trying to be helpful, but now I'm starting to believe that most of them do that shit, do so full knowing that little to no one takes their particular trip the whole way - Meaning, they can dick around doing god knows what, after they drop off the last passenger.... Which is their business, but these are still fixed routes we're talking about here...

You know, I used to do the same thing to send whoever wanted to go to Willowbrook from 308 to 306 (late evenings) for the express until it dawned on me that some folks (and the case if I had to do the daytime trips off Gate 234) may want to get off on North Leg or Willowbrook Blvd.  Especially now since it would seem that everyone is coming back riding the buses again, it also helps to alleviate loads for said express lines to just go ahead and board those locals

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

What's the story with gate 230 btw?

That gate is the most difficult to put a 45 foot coach in for those who have never had the pleasure of going into that gate.  It is a very (2x more times) tight turn, so much that you have to swing out perfectly in order to fit in.  Wayne operators who have the (haha) pleasure of doing the 195X are feeling the challenge of pulling into that gate without running the risk of having safety points on their record.  To this day I have no idea how past lines (ostensibly the 127) pulled it off

Edited by 46Dover
Forgot to delete words