New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

1 hour ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Transit actually turned down the announcements on the buses because passengers was complaining it was too loud, and I always said what about deaf or blind people. Njt is not Ada friendly as you think. It’s sad.

Do you think other transit systems cared if people are unbanked? Look at DART in Delaware, they implemented the system and people adapted. The thing about life, you adapt and find a way. However DART did keep the exact fare boxes in the buses but if you pay with cash you don’t get change and that’s how you force people to get with the program.

Fairview should never be a cash garage, one of the reasons the 158/159 has to run so frequently. It’s a joke. 

One of the exact reasons I chose to not work out of Fairview. I can’t drive AND play cashier, that’s to much.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

You do it the same as now, you tell the driver what zone your getting off at, the driver inputs it in the register and you tap and pay. Simple.

That's not really how it works now, on the exact fare lines.  People don't tell the driver where they're going, they just put the money in the box and walk on, then the driver picks a ticket based on the amount. Imo, asking every passenger where they're going will just create problems for the driver. Riding a city bus people don't expect the need to say where they're going. Some people will have trouble even remembering the name of the street they get off at. It's trading the current problems for a brand new one.

Look up the OPAL card in Sydney. This is how a multi-zone fare card is supposed to work.

6 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

That's not really how it works now, on the exact fare lines.  People don't tell the driver where they're going, they just put the money in the box and walk on, then the driver picks a ticket based on the amount. Imo, asking every passenger where they're going will just create problems for the driver. Riding a city bus people don't expect the need to say where they're going. Some people will have trouble even remembering the name of the street they get off at. It's trading the current problems for a brand new one.

Look up the OPAL card in Sydney. This is how a multi-zone fare card is supposed to work.

That’s the way it’s SUPPOSE to work. Me, I could care less what zone your getting off at unless I’m doing the 319, 559 or if there’s more then 4 zones in a route.

While train handling on the Northeast Corridor by Kearny, I saw two NJT Flxibles that are mobile offices (I think?) heading south on I-95. Any idea where they are going?

Edited by go25

On 1/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, go25 said:

While train handling on the Northeast Corridor by Kearny, I saw two NJT Flxibles that are mobile offices (I think?) heading south on I-95. Any idea where they are going?

I forgot what day it was when it rained this week, but they were here at Garden State Plaza at the usual parking lot facing route 4 and the off ramp of G.S.P.  Oradell's issues of course with their garage having a minor flood. Buses had to be moved and stored at the parking lot outside the mall for a day or two.

It's always a welcoming sight seeing those Metro Ds . Getting drivers of both Market Street and CUSA to look hard at those iconic buses and passengers reacting to them too.

Where they at now I have no clue🤷🏾‍♂️

On 1/19/2023 at 7:13 PM, Lawrence St said:

You do it the same as now, you tell the driver what zone your getting off at, the driver inputs it in the register and you tap and pay. Simple.

I don’t know why people make this sound so difficult. DeCamp has a tap pay reader on their register. NJT does not want to spend the money to upgrade the register. The current register came out around 2007-2008. It’s time to move on. 

10 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

I forgot what day it was when it rained this week, but they were here at Garden State Plaza at the usual parking lot facing route 4 and the off ramp of G.S.P.  Oradell's issues of course with their garage having a minor flood. Buses had to be moved and stored at the parking lot outside the mall for a day or two.

It's always a welcoming sight seeing those Metro Ds . Getting drivers of both Market Street and CUSA to look hard at those iconic buses and passengers reacting to them too.

Where they at now I have no clue🤷🏾‍♂️

Who's qualified to drive those anyway?

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Who's qualified to drive those anyway?

That's a good question! Perhaps if we knew  what facility are they stored at when not in use it may give us a clue as to whom may have the license to drive them. I can only assume someone from the maintenance ( mechanic) field is driving them.

Apparently either Oradell/ Meadowlands are doing some early morning runs of the 190 route during the weekday or Transit has shifted some buses from both Oradell ( Westwood) and Meadowlands to Wayne so they can have enough buses to operate those ex-Market Street garage PABT routes. Throw in the route 148 as well, unless they gave it to either Westwood or Oradell

6 minutes ago, FlxMtroD said:

Apparently either Oradell/ Meadowlands are doing some early morning runs of the 190 route during the weekday or Transit has shifted some buses from both Oradell ( Westwood) and Meadowlands to Wayne so they can have enough buses to operate those ex-Market Street garage PABT routes. Throw in the route 148 as well, unless they gave it to either Westwood or Oradell

Yeah we have some of the 190 runs now. I got thrown onto the 119 but that's next for me to train on.

1 hour ago, FlxMtroD said:

Probably the Rutherford-PABT leg only

17 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I don’t know why people make this sound so difficult. DeCamp has a tap pay reader on their register. NJT does not want to spend the money to upgrade the register. The current register came out around 2007-2008. It’s time to move on. 

I remember in my Lakeland days doing the afternoon downtown trip, I visited a nearby NJT NABI on the 120 and they were experimenting with a credit card tap machine.  Which obviously nothing came of it after that.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:56 AM, 46Dover said:

Probably the Rutherford-PABT leg only

The run starts in Paterson Broadway Bus Terminal. I believe it's either the 190X New York Express or the 190R New York Express using Oradell equipment.

Anyhow,that should be a fun quiet drive deadheading to the terminal 

Edited by FlxMtroD

55 minutes ago, FlxMtroD said:

The run starts in Paterson Broadway Bus Terminal. I believe it's either the 190X New York Express or the 190R New York Express using Oradell equipment.

Anyhow,that should be a fun quiet drive deadheading to the terminal 

I thought the 190Rs start/end at Union/Darwin….

Correction upon looking at the schedule the R does start in Paterson. Never knew that.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

On 1/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, Lawrence St said:

There really should be some rush hour 167/177 extensions past New Milford to Bergen C.C.

Peak direction or reverse-peak? (Remember the college peak is basically the opposite of the Manhattan-bound peak)

8 hours ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

I thought the 190Rs start/end at Union/Darwin….

Correction upon looking at the schedule the R does start in Paterson. Never knew that.

At a glance, it seems like in the afternoon, they pretty much all end in Rutherford, but in the morning, they start at various places (Paterson, Passaic, or Rutherford).

34 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Peak direction or reverse-peak? (Remember the college peak is basically the opposite of the Manhattan-bound peak)

At a glance, it seems like in the afternoon, they pretty much all end in Rutherford, but in the morning, they start at various places (Paterson, Passaic, or Rutherford).

Reverse peak. Or that GWB local line that goes on Teaneck Rd (I forgot what number it was).

I just took FlixBus (which now owns Greyhound) from 33rd St & 8 Av outside Penn Station back home to Philly at the 6 St and Market St stop because they no longer serve Cherry Hill Mall so I’m now doubling back to NJ on the 406

Greyhound recently relocated its Mt Laurel Exit 4 Stop to the Westhampton NJ Academy Bus Park/Ride off Exit 5. So there’s really no NYC bus service from Cherry Hill/Mt Laurel anymore w/o first going to Philly

Edited by mfs NJT459

3 hours ago, mfs NJT459 said:

I just took FlixBus (which now owns Greyhound) from 33rd St & 8 Av outside Penn Station back home to Philly at the 6 St and Market St stop because they no longer serve Cherry Hill Mall so I’m now doubling back to NJ on the 406

Greyhound recently relocated its Mt Laurel Exit 4 Stop to the Westhampton NJ Academy Bus Park/Ride off Exit 5. So there’s really no NYC bus service from Cherry Hill/Mt Laurel anymore w/o first going to Philly

I didn't know that Greyhound moved its Mount Laurel stop (which is not even in Mount Laurel anymore). That commuter service then directly competes with Academy's Westhampton service, which is a shell of what it used to be like 15-20 years ago (a fall from grace IMO). Personally if I were Academy and knew that, I would probably try to work something out with Greyhound if needed so they just run that service 100%, or at the very least coordinate with them (like the 8A operated by Academy/Coach USA).

The Westhampton route has always been out of the way the rest of other routes (as well as from the depot) as it serves a very different service area than all the others. Also according to  Greyhound and Academy timetables, some trips run within minutes of each other in either direction. That sounds like a waste, especially since Greyhound seems to have scaled down their Mount Laurel commuter service since then. Some of those saved Academy resources could be used elsewhere (maybe some type of weekend service, as there's nothing right now).