New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

The fare box has nothing to do with the NABIs, it was used on an older Nova. The baby NABIs are great, I have been riding them all week this week to get to where I needed to go, especially overnight when there's no traffic. I feel like they move faster than the 40ft NABIs

The only thing I don't like about the baby NABIs is the Clever Devices volume on the interior is too low, I could barely hear what stops are announced

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fare box has nothing to do with the NABIs, it was used on an older Nova. The baby NABIs are great, I have been riding them all week this week to get to where I needed to go, especially overnight when there's no traffic. I feel like they move faster than the 40ft NABIs

The only thing I don't like about the baby NABIs is the Clever Devices volume on the interior is too low, I could barely hear what stops are announced

Ofcourse they move faster, they are shorter.

Really Random but, this morning I saw a NJ Transit train coming from north over the Hell Gate bridge toward penn station. I know NJT keeps trains in Sunnyside Yard, but where the hell was this one coming from?

It's not football season....

Wrong... Jets preaseason game at MetLife tonight. It's going to CT to start Meadowlands direct service.

Edit: Just saw it was going toward Penn, sorry about that. Could've been doing testing up there, usually they familiarize the MNRR crews with the NJT equipment before football season.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Wrong... Jets preaseason game at MetLife tonight. It's going to CT to start Meadowlands direct service.

Edit: Just saw it was going toward Penn, sorry about that. Could've been doing testing up there, usually they familiarize the MNRR crews with the NJT equipment before football season.

That sounds likely. I was about to question whether metro north could use M8's for that kind of service, which run off all three voltages of catenary that the NJT locomotive uses - but I'd imagine the third rail shoes would knock into the over-running third rails used in former LIRR territory. 

Yeah, I know about the preseason game - but I didn't think they did the Meadowlands Direct service until the regular season started. The MNRR website still has the info up from 2012 - but the schedule doesn't show any of the preseason games. 

Also I don't think it can change to NJT voltage in mid operation.Something has to be modified almost like a governor

According to Wikipedia 

Like the M7, the M8 is able to pick up 750 Volt DC direct current power from underruning third rail for operation along the New Haven Line from Grand Central Terminal to Pelham, where the traction power source is transferred to the overhead catenary wire, the overhead wire is at a nomimal 12.5 kV AC power from overhead lines viaPantographs for operation from Pelham, New York to New Haven, Connecticut (as well as along the New Canaan Branch), and 25 kV AC power from catenary for operation along the Shore Line East route east of New Haven to New London, Conn. Unlike in earlier classes, changeover between the two AC voltages can be made by the engineer while on the move

But still, I don't exactly know the profile of under-running third rail shoe versus over running third rail shoe, but I'd imagine they'd smack into each other in a bad way. 

Stuck going with my dad to the Jet game tonight... time to watch the worst team in the NFL and Academy stealing from us again! I'll post a little "NABI report" later on and I should be posting pics too, I seriously hope more LFS and Academy owned RTS are brought out instead of the taxpayer-funded state owned NABIs today.

Oh yeah, and now that we're back to football, just gotta say go Phins! (I only go to these games because my dad has season tickets lol)

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I think Veolia might have lost its contract?

I was over at the mall earlier and I saw a NABI with "(something) TRANSIT INC." instead of "VEOLIA TRANSPORTATION INC." next to "OPERATOR" on the side. It was an ad-wrap bus, so maybe it was a typo, but it looked like it might have said "KEOLIS" or "FIRST" next to "TRANSIT" and not "VEOLIA". I saw another bus that still for the most part said Veolia on the side but it was like "VE LIA TRANSPORTAT ON INC.", as if some of the letters were torn off.

If they really did lose the contract, it's about damn time. That operation is/was one of their WORST.

I think Veolia might have lost its contract?

I was over at the mall earlier and I saw a NABI with "(something) TRANSIT INC." instead of "VEOLIA TRANSPORTATION INC." next to "OPERATOR" on the side. It was an ad-wrap bus, so maybe it was a typo, but it looked like it might have said "KEOLIS" or "FIRST" next to "TRANSIT" and not "VEOLIA". I saw another bus that still for the most part said Veolia on the side but it was like "VE LIA TRANSPORTAT ON INC.", as if some of the letters were torn off.

If they really did lose the contract, it's about damn time. That operation is/was one of their WORST.

Well sorry to bust your bubble, but Veolia is sticking around for quite some time. NJT extended their contract effective September 1st, 2013 until September 2020.

Probably a typo or something

Well sorry to bust your bubble, but Veolia is sticking around for quite some time. NJT extended their contract effective September 1st, 2013 until September 2020.

Probably a typo or something

That's a shame... people are complaining about Veolia nonstop yet as usual NJT doesn't give a flying f**k.

That's a shame... people are complaining about Veolia nonstop yet as usual NJT doesn't give a flying f**k.

no surprise there, if that was the case NJT wouldve canned CUSA Olympia Trails for their terrible service on the 24 and 31

no surprise there, if that was the case NJT wouldve canned CUSA Olympia Trails for their terrible service on the 24 and 31

That's not contract service though, they own the routes. If the buses don't carry the NJT brand then it isn't contracted service owned by NJT and operated by a company under contract.

Why are the MCI fleet numbers all over the place? The oldest ones were a nice 7001-7073, but then it jumps between around 7500-7700, and then to 8400-8500, and then 8700, then back to 7400 to 8600-8900. And there's a lot more, but it's very confusing.