New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing I noticed, this time its about the PCCs that are left:

First; any word on the proposed loop to be built at the old Military Ocean Terminal in Bayonne? I know they have 8 PCCs wrapped and waiting to be refurbished at the HBLR shop but why don't NJT use them for special ssrvice on the HBLR?

And the same goes for the Newark Light Rail. I happen to take it from Grove St to Penn Station and I saw 2 of them sitting outside the shop rusting and falling in disrepair. Does NJT uses them for maintenance cause if not why not refurbish them for special service like a throwback theme/day?

NJT doesn't use the PCCs because of a lack of loops on the HBLR/NLR, and also no offside doors on these cars. 

Well NJT is getting their new CRAPIs wrecked. Bus #5937 was in an accident after midnight at Market St & Washington Ave in Newark. No word on what cause it but it collided head on with a cab and the force of impact drove the bus to crash in a building nearby.

Well NJT is getting their new CRAPIs wrecked. Bus #5937 was in an accident after midnight at Market St & Washington Ave in Newark. No word on what cause it but it collided head on with a cab and the force of impact drove the bus to crash in a building nearby.

i just saw that on the news this morning... the damage on that bus doesn't look too bad

Man collapsed at PABT whilst waiting for a Toms River bus.... guy was about 4-5 spaces behind me.... I thought a bazooka went off when I heard that THUD (which apparently was his head hitting the ground).... To tell the truth, I thought the guy dropped dead..... Luckily, he came to consciousness rather rapidly, but was bleeding from his chin.... Tried to get up on his own power, but a couple folks were tellin him to stay down.... and of course, some ppl. were quick to whip out their cell phone came to snap a pic..... 

That could've very well been me also, if I didn't carry a cold bottle water... I was on that line for a good 1/2 hour almost before the toms river (only) express came (which did nothing for me, since I was heading to AC).... and another 10 or so for the AC via toms river bus came.....

While boarding the 319 that I did, the EMT truck eventually pulled up @ gate 320 (the next gate over)..... 2 FDNY personnel (on foot) came relatively quickly, about 5-10 mins after another waiting passenger called 911... I guess the EMT's took him in for precautionary purposes....

....But smh at the one dude on the same bus willing to sit in the aisle all the way to Toms River, inconveniencing folks wanting to go to the bathroom... There was this asian chick that was sitting next to me, 2 rows away from the bathroom, and I'm quite sure she got sick of him leaning/hovering over her, to let passers-by pass..... Even though he was a nice/sincere guy (telling folks that he had to go see his grand kids, and how he just missed the 319 before the one we were on), but still.... The b/o pulled into gate 324 because it was then that he noticed the guy was initially standing... I thought the b/o was gonna kick him off, while mentioning that there's a bus coming 10 mins later, and how personnel would make sure that he's the first one on board, this & that.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm finally going to go to New Jersey to hit up the PBLs and see if any of their RTS are still in service. However, I am wondering what the fare structure is, and how it works. What's with the Red Card?

Also, where is the first stop of the A&C Newport Mall bus located at? Under the mall walkway?

Edited by GojiMet86

I'm finally going to go to New Jersey to hit up the PBLs and see if any of their RTS are still in service. However, I am wondering what the fare structure is, and how it works. What's with the Red Card?

Also, where is the first stop of the A&C Newport Mall bus located at? Under the mall walkway?

Near JCPenneys on the western end of the mall. Pretty sure it's marked on the mall directories.

Near JCPenneys on the western end of the mall. Pretty sure it's marked on the mall directories.

Thanks. Too bad the RTS wasn't at the Mall, though. I tried over at Journal Square and managed to ride 2527 on the Bergen line! 2565 was also doing service over there, and 2528 was doing the 440.

So, I managed to fan the 197 for the first time to Warwick and back. Rode on 8313 from Willowbrook Mall to Warwick NY, then caught the 22:00 to PABT. The driver pointed out that the transmission kept failing on him through. The further you ride it away from NYC, the fewew stoplights you see.

The 197 is a nice ride.  Very rural once you get past Ringwood, and you almost forget you're on NJ Transit.  The 196 is a nice ride too - nice long express ride out of the Port up the Turnpike, 80, then 208 to Skyline Drive.  I also rode the 410 once in South Jersey from Bridgeton into Philadelphia - that was even more bizarre, riding mile after mile along NJ-77 with nothing but farmland on both sides, like the middle of Nebraska or something lol!  

BTW, speaking of Wayne Garage, here is an article from 2000, when Wayne opened.  There was some concern that NJT would abandon service to Warwick because of the long deadhead from Wayne - at the time the 196 and 197 came out of the Warwick Garage.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000425/NEWS/304259988&cid=sitesearch

The Coach USA NABIs should be here...

Every time I'm up in the Newark area I keep my eyes peeled but find nothin special.

But yeah, to all the Newark bus fans. Keep your eyes peeled they may be hiding on the 24, 31, or 44. I'm gonna do my best to try and find and (hopefully) get a picture of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Coach USA NABIs should be here...

Every time I'm up in the Newark area I keep my eyes peeled but find nothin special.

But yeah, to all the Newark bus fans. Keep your eyes peeled they may be hiding on the 24, 31, or 44. I'm gonna do my best to try and find and (hopefully) get a picture of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try more with the 44, they always seem to have them and that route broke in the 56xxx they received earlier

result of tonight's snow, NJT rail will operate on an enhanced weekend (MLK and President's Day) schedule tomorrow

also, there must've been a bus incident at Ironbound garage this morning (bus operational issues) that resulted in 3 cancelled individual bus trips

They alerted/tweeted the following
Route 115: 6:50am from NY to Rahway did not operate
Route 113: 6:39am from Plainfield did not operate
Route 113: 7:05am from Plainfield did not operate

https://twitter.com/NJTRANSIT_NBUS