New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NJT Sucks. Why is it so difficult to get bus information, something like a MAP perhaps!? Why do I need to know the exact bus for any information, why is it difficult to find out nearby routes for alternative planning?

The TMAs make bus maps for NJT but yeah they are hard to get a hold of but I memorized most of south Jersey anyway.

Just as a heads up, the 160 will begin running all day service 7 days per week beginning 11 January.  Along with the change will include service to the Meadowlands.  There is nothing on the NJT website about it yet but it's true.

Wow, I have one of the old 160 schedules from Like three years ago which was totally different  which was like

Weekdays:

To Elmwood: 7:20 AM to 8:30 AM & 4:00 PM to 8:30 PM

To New York: 5:50 AM to 8:30 AM & 3:27 PM to 5:07 PM

Three years later, the 160 gets Daily Service. But I kinda saw that coming eventually. 

Damn how time has changed!

And look:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/upcoming/T0160.pdf

Weekdays: 

To Elmwood: 7:00 AM to 1:20 AM

To New York: 5:40 AM to 12:01 AM

Saturdays: 

To Elmwood: 7:50 AM to 1:20 AM

To New York: 6:35 AM to 12:05 AM

Sundays:
To Elmwood: 7:50 AM to 7:30AM
To New York: 6:35 AM to 6:15 PM

Thing is, why is Elmwood Park not getting midday service as well?

Such a big change (those 160 riders are lucky)

Side note: Does NJT get more farbox revenue (in terms of percentage in operating costs) than the MTA?

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

They should try to make an official NJT map divided in two sections at least (South of Toms River and North of Toms River at least, or one if possible), but they'd be really big.

I imagine a more practical alternative, should NJT ever attempt to conceive a bus map concept, would be to do it county by county.

I imagine a more practical alternative, should NJT ever attempt to conceive a bus map concept, would be to do it county by county.

or better yet advertise and distribute the ones the TMAs already make. Like the Hudson county bus map a.k.a transit guide do a Google search you will find em.

Wow, I have one of the old 160 schedules from Like three years ago which was totally different  which was like

Weekdays:

Three years later, the 160 gets Daily Service. But I kinda saw that coming eventually. 

And look:

Weekdays: 

Saturdays: 

Sundays:

Side note: Does NJT get more farbox revenue (in terms of percentage in operating costs) than the MTA?

Probably due to zone fare. This is what happens when you use your bus A LOT I admit the rail can't compete with those frequencies well done NJT riders.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Probably due to zone fare. This is what happens when you use your bus A LOT I admit the rail can't compete with those frequencies well done NJT riders.

Howell needs to do that. And before you say it's not needed, Ima tell you a little story.

'Twas two days before Christmas and all through Port Authority's 320 section gates, there was a long ass line for one route and route solely. The 139. NJT made the stupid mistake of not sending extra buses to PABT (which were probably chillin @ Howell) and yes the line was full of complaining passengers who wished NJ Transit would run lines like the 131, 133, 135, & 138 on the weekends so they don't have to put up with that crap. I even spoke to a supervisor while I was there. He agreed with me when I said NJT should have run more buses for the 139.

They should try to make an official NJT map divided in two sections at least (South of Toms River and North of Toms River at least, or one if possible), but they'd be really big.

Not an official map, but the product of a dedicated individual (not me, lol!)

Here you go:  http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/

Weekdays:

And look:

Weekdays: 

Saturdays: 

Sundays:

Also of note is that Meadowlands Sports Complex service is being shifted to the 160 from the 164.  I knew about the 160 serving the sports complex but didn't realize they were eliminating it from the 164, although I guess it makes sense.  To have three lines (160, 164 and 703) all serve it seems like overkill.  

Saw what appeared to be a Designlemon Ecocrapper stuck on the NJTP by Rahway n/b truck lanes, with an MCI behind it passing by around 8am. I guess Howell is forced to run those things due to the shortage of equipment...

That's not the first time I've seen one stuck on the Turnpike... 7213 a few months ago I caught broken down by 13A and I could've been on that bus if it didn't skip my stop.

That's not the first time I've seen one stuck on the Turnpike... 7213 a few months ago I caught broken down by 13A and I could've been on that bus if it didn't skip my stop.
I haven't seen one of those things in months....

You're probably gonna see less of them by like June or July with the new MCIs coming in. Is the pilot due in the spring or summer? Just checking.

Howell needs to do that. And before you say it's not needed, Ima tell you a little story.

'Twas two days before Christmas and all through Port Authority's 320 section gates, there was a long ass line for one route and route solely. The 139. NJT made the stupid mistake of not sending extra buses to PABT (which were probably chillin @ Howell) and yes the line was full of complaining passengers who wished NJ Transit would run lines like the 131, 133, 135, & 138 on the weekends so they don't have to put up with that crap. I even spoke to a supervisor while I was there. He agreed with me when I said NJT should have run more buses for the 139.

the riders of 139 aren't related to 138 or 135. 139 serves a commercial corridor of course it's ridership is off the scale. An NJT planner revealed to me that it's one of the only profitable routes. Basically corridor 9 service. However I admit 131/135 &133 should be the first to gain full-time service. My first plan did suggest that but changed after the service cuts.

A google overlay would be nice, like the Mercer County map. They can have you select each route individually , let you select all, or let you select all-a county at a time. 

you can select all the routes you want to see plus driveless.com has a southern NJ bus map also.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

i read on news website that NJtransit northeast train was stuck for app. 2 hours outside of newark penn station due to down wire on the train. Amtrak spoken said it related to frigid cold weather.

They also reported that there was no heat on the train after the power was cut off http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/01/hundreds_stranded_on_nj_transit_train_in_newark_due_to_downed_wire.html

the riders of 139 aren't related to 138 or 135. 139 serves a commercial corridor of course it's ridership is off the scale. An NJT planner revealed to me that it's one of the only profitable routes. Basically corridor 9 service. However I admit 131/135 &133 should be the first to gain full-time service. My first plan did suggest that but changed after the service cuts.

Well yeah the 138 not so much. But the other lines I mentioned, yeah they should get daily service.

I don't know if you've been down to Central Jersey lately, or read around the internet about it but the population is growing down here. And the 139 can't handle the weekends alone. It's actually to the point where if NJT were to make at least the 131/133/135 run weekends, they would probably get enough ridership to run every 30 minutes on the weekends.

But NJT needs to upgrade some of the facilities along those lines. For example, GSP 120 Park & Ride could use a bit of an overhaul, like an Old Bridge Park & Ride setting on the overpass (on both sides so the 131 can serve it too), & a bus shelter for the exit ramp. As for getting the buses, that shouldn't be a problem considering how many buses they have at Howell.

Well yeah the 138 not so much. But the other lines I mentioned, yeah they should get daily service. I don't know if you've been down to Central Jersey lately, or read around the internet about it but the population is growing down here. And the 139 can't handle the weekends alone. It's actually to the point where if NJT were to make at least the 131/133/135 run weekends, they would probably get enough ridership to run every 30 minutes on the weekends. But NJT needs to upgrade some of the facilities along those lines. For example, GSP 120 Park & Ride could use a bit of an overhaul, like an Old Bridge Park & Ride setting on the overpass (on both sides so the 131 can serve it too), & a bus shelter for the exit ramp. As for getting the buses, that shouldn't be a problem considering how many buses they have at Howell.

It's only a matter of time.