New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's simple, the 700's that are operated by CC (Community Coach) are contracted routes from NJT. The O.N.E. Bus lines (24, 31, 44) are owned by Coach USA.

They are using NJT buses so it would be really easy to be on mybusnow. Same goes for A&C and Broadway bus.

They are using NJT buses so it would be really easy to be on mybusnow. Same goes for A&C and Broadway bus.

It's a little bit beyond that... they own the routes. NJT just provides them with buses. If they want a tracking system they can purchase one on their own, from Clever Devices or whoever. If you notice the Clever Devices aren't programmed for the PBLs at all either, for the same reason.

Here's an interesting one...

https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AwardsTo

25 CNG buses have been purchased from "A&A Truck Parts". Guessing these are the 25 CNGs that were retired already and I'm guessing that's the company that bought them for scrap or resale or whatever. Interesting though, since I'm pretty sure the tanks were expired on those and that's why they had to go, but a company advertising them for sale did specify recerted or new tanks (not sure if that was for these particular buses though or possibly later ones to go out the door). Strange buy though, guess we really couldn't last until new MCIs started showing up with the loaner D4000s Howell has now.

EDIT: It's starting to look like this could actually be a sale... from another page on the procurement site https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CalendarTo

01/21/14 02:00 Offers for Purchase: 25 Retired 1999 MCI CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)Buses without Tires***Inquiries with regard to this solicitation should be directed to *name removed* ***A site visit to inspect the buses is set for January 15th with a snow date of January 17th @ 10:00 am. SOP AP-13-003 One Penn Plaza East, Newark, NJ 07105  

If you notice on that same page 18 Arrow IIIs are being sold next month.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

The 171 is truly a sad site to behold after 4 jitneys passes 171 comes over almost empty it's schedule ain't helping it either.

So? People use the jitneys and more service on the 171 probably won't change most of the peoples' minds. Yes you have the monthlies or whatever but there's plenty of corridors (look at Blvd East) where the jitneys are up against frequent NJT service and the jitneys still end up mobbed, hell so much that the Blvd East jitneys use full size school buses now. You can't really expect people to stop using the jitneys if the 171 gets more service.

I never understood why people would be willing to risk their lives on those damn things to save a few bucks. I'd rather pay the $2.35, $2.90, or $3.50 than ride one of those tin cans.

The reason the 171 was empty is because not everyone is trying to go to the GWB Bus Terminal. Those people want PABT, which is where more than half of those jitneys go.

Edited by Transitkid4608

I never understood why people would be willing to risk their lives on those damn things to save a few bucks. I'd rather pay the $2.35, $2.90, or $3.50 than ride one of those tin cans. The reason the 171 was empty is because not everyone is trying to go to the GWB Bus Terminal. Those people want PABT, which is where more than half of those jitneys go.

Rte 4 jitneys go to GWB 

I never understood why people would be willing to risk their lives on those damn things to save a few bucks. I'd rather pay the $2.35, $2.90, or $3.50 than ride one of those tin cans. The reason the 171 was empty is because not everyone is trying to go to the GWB Bus Terminal. Those people want PABT, which is where more than half of those jitneys go.

Way I see it, their money, their problem. I'll use them sometimes too, not so much when I'm in Jersey (though not having a monthly when I end up myself on a jitney corridor chances are I might hop in one over the transit bus especially if I want a nice quick ride) but the Chinatown-Flushing vans and those get me where I need to be in half the time the subway does. Dangerous driving? Maybe. Should the regulations and enforcement be a little more strict? Maybe that too, as long as they're continued to run as they do now (while being kept up to better safety standards, FFS some of the Flushing vans will put a plastic bench in the back of the bus as a makeshift "back row" or make the last people on the bus sit on a bucket or folding chair) and there's nothing anti-competitive that would prevent the jitneys from running along NJT/MTA corridors or anything like that. Bottom line is some people want to spend their money with the jitneys, and that's not my business to say they should be spending it with NJT or the MTA instead. 

Rte 4 jitneys go to GWB 

Yup.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life