New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

Vj8B1Lj.jpg

My shot from today.

On another note, just got some interesting news.....the Designlines are not going ANYWHERE!

NJT is being forced by the feds (since they were purchased with federal funds) to keep those buses. There is still(and will be over time) operational and maintenance support for those buses via EPV, as the model itself has not been discontinued.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29th Street, 38th Street, 40th Street, Galvin, Weehawken, and the UBL (Upper Bus Level of the Port).  Each garage is assigned a lot, or lots - for example, Weehawken is used by Wayne, Howell and Oradell.  38th Street is Fairview and Market Street.  Oradell also uses 29th Street.

Howell uses the lot by the Javits. Seen NABIs there too so it's not only theirs.

Some garages use more than one lot; and most lots host more than one garage.

well that's one big mess then. I thought of one idea but then more then one idea popped up. Keep in mind that its just one big crapshoot so I'm rolling the dice. Here goes:

Idea #1:

Silk City or any other operator that is familiar with the area, is the Meadowlands parking lot used as a Park n Ride? If not, then that is one. That place has a rail station just begging to be used when there is no football/events occurring at MetLife, and whenever Xanadu or whatever is called finally opens. Have the train go from the Meadowlands to Hoboken in the AM rush (debating whether it should stop at Secaucus or not, judgment is out there). That could open up some traffic at PABT and save up on DH trips to/from the city. Use that thing to its potential.

Idea #2:

To my original question, I wanted to know how bad things are around PABT in terms of idling and having NJT buses on the streets. I know I'm gonna get dogged here for my idea (or not, all criticism & comments are welcome) but I was thinking and I ask myself: why doesn't NJT use the Ferry St shop as an alternative lot for some buses deadheading to PABT for whatever rush hour. Its close to the Turnpike. If you want a bigger spot, how about NJT using the old movie theater parking lot on Foundry St (where the old 1 route use to terminate before it got shut down and moved to Euclid & Lockwood Aves.) as an another ideal location. If a bus starts to have issues, Ironbound/ Central Maintenance Facility isn't far from either locations.

What you guys think?

Never thought academy would send their vanhools through Route 9 on the Union Hill and Lakewood trips. Saw 3 in service at Robertsville Road.

They come down, hell a lot of those runs don't go out with state buses though they're usually just MCIs. But I even saw a Setra once, and they've been sending down the Atlantic Express Vanhools pretty often too.

They come down, hell a lot of those runs don't go out with state buses though they're usually just MCIs. But I even saw a Setra once, and they've been sending down the Atlantic Express Vanhools pretty often too.

Those were the ones I saw today. Pretty neat sight to see.

Any of you guys notice that the D4500s are starting to fall apart on the inside? Some have seats falling off, the lights/climate control are sometimes hanging, and the transmission most times is making a weird noise that coincides with the engine's acceleration. A few D4000s are doing this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There not suppose to stay perfect. They running so much that this is expected. Every million miles the engine is rebuilt or earlier depending on tbe condition the engine is in. South Jersey including Howell has this issue the most as the buses are ran straight to hell.

There not suppose to stay perfect. They running so much that this is expected. Every million miles the engine is rebuilt or earlier depending on tbe condition the engine is in. South Jersey including Howell has this issue the most as the buses are ran straight to hell.

Yeah...Howell MCI'S always gonna take a beating...They route mileage is pretty long on most of their routes

Some of the MTAs oldest MCIs on Staten Island sound pretty shitty too. Not really noticing that at Howell, Academy though definitely has some MCIs making weird noises. Not seeing them falling apart yet either, hell even those old MCIs at the MTA are in OK shape.

Academy dont take care of njts mcis. They are crap. 8852 the jake has hardly no pull on the bus.

Some of the MTAs oldest MCIs on Staten Island sound pretty shitty too. Not really noticing that at Howell, Academy though definitely has some MCIs making weird noises. Not seeing them falling apart yet either, hell even those old MCIs at the MTA are in OK shape.

Only buses that I've heard so far making the noise are 7442, 8286, 7610, and a 90XX.

I know something's up with 8286 because I had it back in March and it wasn't doing that.

Btw,I just saw one of DeCamp's D4000s getting towed at the Lincoln Tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Transitkid4608

So 7407 showed up on the 319 tonight. Where's all the 7100s?

Broken down. They are having serious issues with them. They cant stay on the road for some reason.

Been back and fourth between us and meadowlands. Meadowlands 7100s break down alot in ac also.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

I guess when a meadowlands 7100s is at Egg Harbor, they switch the radio from North Control Center to south Control Center

As the Meadowlands bus who was doing the 8:20pm 319 last night from AC, I heard radio chatter from that bus of some accident in Somers Point that may have called detour on the 507/509

Where is North control center?

I guess when a meadowlands 7100s is at Egg Harbor, they switch the radio from North Control Center to south Control Center

As the Meadowlands bus who was doing the 8:20pm 319 last night from AC, I heard radio chatter from that bus of some accident in Somers Point that may have called detour on the 507/509

Where is North control center?

It switches automatically. When i use control above toms river it goes to north control for the 559. Edited by 553 Bridgeton