New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

How does it ride?

Well for starters, the HVAC ain't shit compared to the 9000s. I mean, it blows, but not as much as those.

Ride quality is iffy. The seats are definitely more comfortable, but the way this bus takes bumps. I personally feel like I had a better ride on 7209.

I'll wait till I get off to post more.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw it on MyBusNow.

They should send it back to MCI with a list of things to improve on/add to the bus. Yes, I'm talking about Frameless windows being on them as well, but I'm leaning more towards getting the decal on the front, and any issues with the ride and A/C.

Edited by Transitkid4608

I just saw it on MyBusNow.

They should send it back to MCI with a list of things to improve on/add to the bus. Yes, I'm talking about Frameless windows being on them as well, but I'm leaning more towards getting the decal on the front, and any issues with the ride and A/C.

Frameless Windows will not work, as they have a tendency to get loose and open up. Which in turn causes a safety problem. If one has an issue, the rest of the fleet would have issues and would have to be taken out of service for inspection.

The decal, NJ Transit can apply themselves. The issues aren't that serious to begin with.

Edited by Cait Sith

Well for starters, the HVAC ain't shit compared to the 9000s. I mean, it blows, but not as much as those.

Ride quality is iffy. The seats are definitely more comfortable, but the way this bus takes bumps. I personally feel like I had a better ride on 7209.

I'll wait till I get off to post more.

I have a feeling they went nabi-ish wit these the way how you saying it takes bumps iffy. The 7100s has the best suspension. Maybe to save money they went cheaper on that end. The bellows on the nabis serve no purpose as it just bottoms out.

I have a feeling they went nabi-ish wit these the way how you saying it takes bumps iffy. The 7100s has the best suspension. Maybe to save money they went cheaper on that end. The bellows on the nabis serve no purpose as it just bottoms out.

Well, this is paid for with Federal Funds, so I don't know saving money would work out.

After we got off the Turnpike onto the GSP, it ran smooth. The little bumps you don't feel. Uphill climb is roughly the same as the Designlines, but that's in fault of the ISL-G.

The lighting is superb, it's not too bright or dark, so them passengers won't complain about it.

Though I did realize why the HVAC isn't as good, and I can't compare it to a 9000 either because of how the engine is set up. Compared to the Designlines, they are about the same, I can't tell which one blows harder or is colder.

I'll post my pictures tonight. Sound clips and videos as well.

@Cait: So that's why 7206 was whistling like a jaybird the other day on the Turnpike.

I hope NJT wastes no time putting the decal on the front of 7278.

Were the lights in there bright at all? Or were they like the D4000/D4500 lights?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your post.

Edited by Transitkid4608

Well, this is paid for with Federal Funds, so I don't know saving money would work out.

After we got off the Turnpike onto the GSP, it ran smooth. The little bumps you don't feel. Uphill climb is roughly the same as the Designlines, but that's in fault of the ISL-G.

The lighting is superb, it's not too bright or dark, so them passengers won't complain about it.

Though I did realize why the HVAC isn't as good, and I can't compare it to a 9000 either because of how the engine is set up. Compared to the Designlines, they are about the same, I can't tell which one blows harder or is colder.

I'll post my pictures tonight. Sound clips and videos as well.

The retarder is quiet correct? You get any pics or vids?

@Cait: So that's why 7206 was whistling like a jaybird the other day on the Turnpike.

I hope NJT wastes no time putting the decal on the front of 7278.

Were the lights in there bright at all? Or were they like the D4000/D4500 lights?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw your post.

Well, the Designlines whistle in general, the turbo makes it do that, which kinda sounds cool imo.

The retarder is quiet correct? You get any pics or vids?

Yessir, will be posting soon. I gotta listen to the clip, but I think its pretty quiet.

Cait, I think I saw you taking a pic of the 7278 as I was coming up to 40th St from Dyer. I was driving the Lakeland Bus

Yup, you probably did lol

Took the 165 home tonight. Totally forgot it was an alternative to get me home....much better walk than from the 163. I have to say I was shocked that at 1220a, 2 165s and 2 166s went down Blvd East with full seated and standing loads. My bus pretty much was empty by the time we got to 46. The Oradell drivers seem like a good bunch.....great teamwork working the stops on the Boulevard. I'll have to take the 165 more often.

Took the 165 home tonight. Totally forgot it was an alternative to get me home....much better walk than from the 163. I have to say I was shocked that at 1220a, 2 165s and 2 166s went down Blvd East with full seated and standing loads. My bus pretty much was empty by the time we got to 46. The Oradell drivers seem like a good bunch.....great teamwork working the stops on the Boulevard. I'll have to take the 165 more often.

Damn, it's like that over on the Boulevard? I've wanted to check out those routes for a while.

----------------

It seems like Ironbound is testing out a variety of destination signs, 7813 has Luminator Titans and 7757 has Hanovers. I think 8856 has orange signs, it was on the 130 on Friday.

So an ALP-45DP 4503 is on the Atlanic City line right now, deadheading an extra Comet V cab car for the extra cars and extra train for the Air show

The train I was supposed to board was cancelled (4623) but 7549 bus showed up as a shuttle to bring the passengers on the train that broke down near Lidenwold to Philly (train 4616)

Now I'm on one of 2 MCI buses that are shuttling us to AC and we are following a supervisor because of the detour in Lindenwold on the White Horse Bridge closure over the PATCO/NJT tracks

I'm mad at NJT for not announcing online or on the platforms that there are shuttle buses

So an ALP-45DP 4503 is on the Atlanic City line right now, deadheading an extra Comet V cab car for the extra cars and extra train for the Air show

The train I was supposed to board was cancelled (4623) but 7549 bus showed up as a shuttle to bring the passengers on the train that broke down near Lidenwold to Philly (train 4616)

Now I'm on one of 2 MCI buses that are shuttling us to AC and we are following a supervisor because of the detour in Lindenwold on the White Horse Bridge closure over the PATCO/NJT tracks

I'm mad at NJT for not announcing online or on the platforms that there are shuttle buses

At least you guys got shuttle buses. Whenever the NEC shits the bed people are on their own.

This is why I just take the 551 and be done with it.

This is why I just take the 551 and be done with it.

i was thinking about the 551 except I was taking it from Cherry Hill, I would've ended up spending more money to go to Pennsauken-River Line to Camden then 551

$6.50 train from Cherry hill/Pennsauken to AC

$7.30 551 bus from Camden to AC

i was thinking about the 551 except I was taking it from Cherry Hill, I would've ended up spending more money to go to Pennsauken-River Line to Camden then 551

$6.50 train from Cherry hill/Pennsauken to AC

$7.30 551 bus from Camden to AC

Cherry hill has several buses to Camden. 409,406 413 ect 317 (if you're lucky) FYI train tickets work on 551 to AC from Camden and Philadelphia

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Yes, we try to keep it moving as best we can on the Boulevard - leapfrogging from Nungessers on down.  The Boulevard is both fun and a royal PITA at the same time - fun because of all the twists and turns, and the scenery (both the Manhattan skyline and, um... "eye candy" ;-) but a PITA because of all the traffic, both cars and the jitneys.  Also, there are very few bus stops where we can actually pull to the curb.  The ones that come to mind are 60th Street, the Galaxy, Bellevue Avenue and maybe one or two others.  The rest are packed with parked cars.  And yes, the 165 and 166 are WORK HORSES.  I mean WORK HORSES.  I've grown to dislike doing the 165 to be honest, because of all the construction around the Little Ferry Circle.  At the same time, I love the 166 so go figure.  There are a few early morning 165 trips that begin at the bottom of Boulevard East and go up toward Westwood.  By the time you get to Nungessers, you are crush loaded with people (almost exclusively Latino, in the service or day labor industries) headed to Hackensack and points north toward Westwood.  I've had to pass up throngs of people because I had people standing right up to the white line, and every square inch in the back occupied.  Nungessers is that one stop where you have almost 90+% turnover on just about every trip.   

Yes, we try to keep it moving as best we can on the Boulevard - leapfrogging from Nungessers on down. The Boulevard is both fun and a royal PITA at the same time - fun because of all the twists and turns, and the scenery (both the Manhattan skyline and, um... "eye candy" ;-) but a PITA because of all the traffic, both cars and the jitneys. Also, there are very few bus stops where we can actually pull to the curb. The ones that come to mind are 60th Street, the Galaxy, Bellevue Avenue and maybe one or two others. The rest are packed with parked cars. And yes, the 165 and 166 are WORK HORSES. I mean WORK HORSES. I've grown to dislike doing the 165 to be honest, because of all the construction around the Little Ferry Circle. At the same time, I love the 166 so go figure. There are a few early morning 165 trips that begin at the bottom of Boulevard East and go up toward Westwood. By the time you get to Nungessers, you are crush loaded with people (almost exclusively Latino, in the service or day labor industries) headed to Hackensack and points north toward Westwood. I've had to pass up throngs of people because I had people standing right up to the white line, and every square inch in the back occupied. Nungessers is that one stop where you have almost 90+% turnover on just about every trip.

I would love to work the 166 just one more time. The one time i did it i loved it. Did one trip with 7183. I did a new york exp 319 no stopping in toms river it was an extra trip. I got to the port and a starter asked if i could do a trip on the 166 and asked if i knew it. Been on it many of times. So he told me the zone setup and luckly i had passengers that knew the route and from what i rememberd. I enjoyed it. Went straight to dumont and deadheaded back to eht. Nice pay day!

The guy I rode home with said in the AMs you can have 3 full tturnovers of passengers between the Port and Westwood. And I can see that the construction in Little Ferry can be a PITA. On Mondays when I have to report to the Port in the morning I don't take the 151T anymore because the traffic kills that bus.....I just get on the 161 and deal with the crush load. I knew you guys worked hard in Oradell, just didn't realize how hard. That is definitely the garage I want to work at!

The guy I rode home with said in the AMs you can have 3 full tturnovers of passengers between the Port and Westwood. And I can see that the construction in Little Ferry can be a PITA. On Mondays when I have to report to the Port in the morning I don't take the 151T anymore because the traffic kills that bus.....I just get on the 161 and deal with the crush load. I knew you guys worked hard in Oradell, just didn't realize how hard. That is definitely the garage I want to work at!

The 5 and the 6 are the breadwinners of the garage.  The 3 also earns its share - it's very heavily patronized by tourists from all the hotels along the route (along with the 164 which runs together from Summit & Essex).  There's the ones on Paterson Plank Road, plus the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights drops its guests off at the Boulevard & Williams stop.  I don't mind the tourists but I get slammed with $20's on that line... very annoying.  The 6 is the exact opposite - it is a "singles" scene from all the Nungessers folks!  I've gotten so many singles on that line that I've had to create like 3-4 different wads of them and stuff them in various pockets!  The 164 and 168 tend to be snoozers compared to the others.  The 167 carries decently and modestly.  

I wish you luck and hope to see you here one day!

I would love to work the 166 just one more time. The one time i did it i loved it. Did one trip with 7183. I did a new york exp 319 no stopping in toms river it was an extra trip. I got to the port and a starter asked if i could do a trip on the 166 and asked if i knew it. Been on it many of times. So he told me the zone setup and luckly i had passengers that knew the route and from what i rememberd. I enjoyed it. Went straight to dumont and deadheaded back to eht. Nice pay day!

Yup, I absolutely love the 166 - or "The 6", as we call it ;-)  IDK, even though it's very similar in nature to "The 5", I enjoy doing it where I don't care for the 5.  I do also like the 163/164 and I'm so glad I won an open for bid on a swing on that line so at least I'm off the extra board for the rest of this pick.  A hiatus from the 4 AM roll calls is just what the doctor ordered lol!

Hey Silk City, I'm planning on riding the 165 soon to NYC. Are there any local buses up in that area from Hackensack or Paterson that connect to the 165?

Well the 165 runs right through Hackensack - up Main Street going toward Westwood and down State Street going toward New York.  The 712 and 770 come from Paterson and connect with the 165.