New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Of any time you took the 48)

How was the turnover b/w the 48 & the 62?

I saw a few people from the 48 transfer to the 62 but that was about it.

Would you guys say that the 48-62 transfer is more popular, vs. the 48-24 transfer, or are they about the same? (Meaning, of #48 riders heading north past Elizabeth, are more looking for service towards EWR or towards Newark itself?)

Would you guys say that the 48-62 transfer is more popular, vs. the 48-24 transfer, or are they about the same?

(Meaning, of #48 riders heading north past Elizabeth, are more looking for service towards EWR or towards Newark itself?)

Currently, I have no idea.....

What I can say is, I do not believe that the amount of people that used to take the old 62 north of Elizabeth comes close to the amount of people that are doing the 48-24 xfer.... I also believe that there were more riders taking the old 62 from points south of Elizabeth to points north of Elizabeth, compared to the amt. of people that are doing the 48-(current 62) xfer.....

Another way of saying that is, the old 62 (well, which is today's 62) b/w Elizabeth & Newark was more popular than the 24 .... Highly doubt that's changed since the old 62 got split, but I could be wrong.... I would be shocked that more riders (by a very noticeable margin) are doing the 48-24 trip over the 48-62 trip.... I would be a little surprised of the amount of ppl. coming off 48's are xferring to either of those two routes at a relatively equal rate.....

To be perfectly honest, Transitkid's assessments are confirming my suspicions.... The 48 Carteret spur has maintained its usage (compared with the old 62), while the 48 Woodbridge mall has likely lost ridership.... Why? Because more of those folks were coming from areas north of Elizabeth.... I find that those that took the Carteret Branch weren't doing too much riding past Elizabeth.....

The only real advantage the 24 had over the 62 was JG (Jersey Gardens... or whatever its called now) itself....

Currently, I have no idea.....

What I can say is, I do not believe that the amount of people that used to take the old 62 north of Elizabeth comes close to the amount of people that are doing the 48-24 xfer.... I also believe that there were more riders taking the old 62 from points south of Elizabeth to points north of Elizabeth, compared to the amt. of people that are doing the 48-(current 62) xfer.....

Another way of saying that is, the old 62 (well, which is today's 62) b/w Elizabeth & Newark was more popular than the 24 .... Highly doubt that's changed since the old 62 got split, but I could be wrong.... I would be shocked that more riders (by a very noticeable margin) are doing the 48-24 trip over the 48-62 trip.... I would be a little surprised of the amount of ppl. coming off 48's are xferring to either of those two routes at a relatively equal rate.....

To be perfectly honest, Transitkid's assessments are confirming my suspicions.... The 48 Carteret spur has maintained its usage (compared with the old 62), while the 48 Woodbridge mall has likely lost ridership.... Why? Because more of those folks were coming from areas north of Elizabeth.... I find that those that took the Carteret Branch weren't doing too much riding past Elizabeth.....

The only real advantage the 24 had over the 62 was JG (Jersey Gardens... or whatever its called now) itself....

TransitMan lol....I'm 19 now  :lol: .

Both branches go to Woodbridge Mall on the weekends IINM. However I will say, the Carteret branch did a lot better in terms of ridership compared to the Iselin-Metropark branch. 

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone tell me why 834 is the only bus route that have a stars in the back of the bus. all the other like 817, 831, 832, 833 and 835 have the number in the back. It just the 834? i find that weird.

also i think the destination sign should say highland or red bank at all times since most of the trips run via new monmouth road. They should add via tindall road instead when they need to cut thru that street. I understand tindal road was the main road before the township want the bus to pass the senior citizen on new monmouth road. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NJ Transit bus map (Essex County).

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/Essex_County_Map.pdf

I think it looks good considering it tried to condense some routes

They've had those for a while now. They also have Hudson, Passaic, Morris, and Bergen Counties.

On the Essex County map, 90% of those are Newark feeder routes, so they all kind of blend together.

On another note, this really sucks for HBLR commuters: http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2464

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TravelAlertsTo&selLRLine=HBLR&rel=LightRail

They've had those for a while now. They also have Hudson, Passaic, Morris, and Bergen Counties.

On the Essex County map, 90% of those are Newark feeder routes, so they all kind of blend together.

On another note, this really sucks for HBLR commuters: http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CustomerNoticeTo&NoticeId=2464

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TravelAlertsTo&selLRLine=HBLR&rel=LightRail

I notice they don't have a map for Union Co. Or any other buses within the system. I wonder if they will eventually

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/man-found-dead-nj-transit-bus-newark

A man was found dead on a Roach USA bus in Newark. Bus #6511 was doing its rounds on the 24 in route to Jersey Gardens when they found him unresponsive. RIP sir

Roach USA they probably could not tell the difference in the bus smell from the normal odor. LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Service changes upcoming to some of the local routes in Northern NJ:

10: Will no longer have late night service. Service via Sip Ave terminated.

88: Service via Central Avenue on both directions terminated.

119: Inherited the late night service from the 10 route. Also will have the Central Ave service from the 88C absorbed.

Just some of the major changes on some routes. Thoughts?

The one time that I did the 88C, I only had a handful of riders go down Central. Service was only eliminated Monday-Saturday. It will still operate on Sundays. As for the 10/119 changes, they had wanted to make the 119 run overnight for a while now and this was the way to implement it. They gave us more time to run the trips now. The trips between 12-3am will still carry the same amount of people.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are NJT bus tickets valid on the Coach USA bus route 31 from Newark to Livingston Mall?

There's three bus routes that travel between those two points (NJT 70 & 73 routes and Coach USA's 31 route) if you buy a bus ticket from the TVM at Newark Penn, could you use it on the 31 route?