New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

The 166 is definitely a heavier carrier than the "5". Outbound locals from New York get absolutely slammed at the Nungessers stop - there are times I've actually picked up more people there than at the Port.

Instead of taking the 756, have you considered the 178 or 186 from Fort Lee? It's probably a faster ride, especially the 178, since it takes Route 4 straight to Grand Avenue.

Actually I first started taking the 178 out of GW Bridge Bus Term but the subway ride to it long (Practically the entire length of the A train-about 1 hr 40mins) even though the 178 ride is only about 15 from there. Either way it balances out to the same overall travel time. But from the 159, by the time I usually get to Ft Lee it's a longer wait for the 178/186 than the 756 usually.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Edited by Far Rock Depot

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm planning a trip to Philly in the near future, and frankly I'm not interested in riding in anything other than a Multi-Level. (Maybe a Comet V if I have no other option) 

Is there a way to figure out what train you'll get for a certain departure?

Or if any of you what train 3917 (9:01 to Trenton) and train 3870 (6:28 to New York) consist of, please tell.   

So I'm planning a trip to Philly in the near future, and frankly I'm not interested in riding in anything other than a Multi-Level. (Maybe a Comet V if I have no other option)

Is there a way to figure out what train you'll get for a certain departure?

Or if any of you what train 3917 (9:01 to Trenton) and train 3870 (6:28 to New York) consist of, please tell.

IIRC, one or both of those trains use them. When I commuted via train into NYC last semester, I remember 3917 always having a ML set. The NEC line is primarily Multilevels and Arrow IIIs with a few Comet sets here and there so you have a good shot at getting one. If you're not pressed for time, 3831 (9:37 NYP departure) uses them.

Wow, that 165 Local has to make 165 million stops to get to NY. Boy was that a long ride (and by the time I got off at 48th Street, there was my bus and the short-turn that left right after us, plus a third that caught up to us).

Not catching me on the 165 local; or any of those 16_ locals for the matter.... If fanning, I gun for the express variants out of PABT; better rides w/o a doubt IMO.... (I) particularly like the one that goes straight from PABT to the parking lots/park & rides off 165..... There's another variant of the #165 I couldn't catch for the life of me; the soldier hill express.....

Not catching me on the 165 local; or any of those 16_ locals for the matter.... If fanning, I gun for the express variants out of PABT; better rides w/o a doubt IMO.... (I) particularly like the one that goes straight from PABT to the parking lots/park & rides off 165..... There's another variant of the #165 I couldn't catch for the life of me; the soldier hill express.....

I reverse commute on the 166 so I have no choice but to catch the locals.

IIRC, one or both of those trains use them. When I commuted via train into NYC last semester, I remember 3917 always having a ML set. The NEC line is primarily Multilevels and Arrow IIIs with a few Comet sets here and there so you have a good shot at getting one. If you're not pressed for time, 3831 (9:37 NYP departure) uses them.

Thanks I'm really trying to avoid those Arrow III's since it's a long ride.

Yeah, one of my coworkers (I think he was from Hillsdale) said he takes the "165 Parkway Express", so I guess that's the one he's referring to.

It looks like the one I need (if I don't need to make a stop in Hoboken on the way back) would be the Turnpike Express. It seems like a sort of knock-off of the 11A because it makes all the stops (and turns) in Hackensack, as opposed to going straight down Route 4 like the 11A. Anyway, it looks like there's one that leaves right around the time I need it, so if I hustle, I can try to catch that.

BTW, on the 11A, does it make any other stops besides those timepoints, or those timepoints are the only stops it makes? And does it generally stop at the same stops that the corresponding NJT buses do (in this case, the #165)?

It's a shame the Pascack Valley Line doesn't have more passing sidings (or better yet, a full second track). Especially when I need to go to Hoboken, it would be a nice, straight shot as opposed to a longer ride on the bus. The only upside is that the bus is cheaper.

And tickets-wise, does it work the same as NJ Transit (you can pay your fare on-board and receive change at any stop except the PABT)?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Yeah, one of my coworkers (I think he was from Hillsdale) said he takes the "165 Parkway Express", so I guess that's the one he's referring to.

It looks like the one I need (if I don't need to make a stop in Hoboken on the way back) would be the Turnpike Express. It seems like a sort of knock-off of the 11A because it makes all the stops (and turns) in Hackensack, as opposed to going straight down Route 4 like the 11A. Anyway, it looks like there's one that leaves right around the time I need it, so if I hustle, I can try to catch that.

BTW, on the 11A, does it make any other stops besides those timepoints, or those timepoints are the only stops it makes? And does it generally stop at the same stops that the corresponding NJT buses do (in this case, the #165)?

It's a shame the Pascack Valley Line doesn't have more passing sidings (or better yet, a full second track). Especially when I need to go to Hoboken, it would be a nice, straight shot as opposed to a longer ride on the bus. The only upside is that the bus is cheaper.

And tickets-wise, does it work the same as NJ Transit (you can pay your fare on-board and receive change at any stop except the PABT)?

Those buses do indeed accept cash. At PABT, they accept cash except from 3-8 when you must have a ticket. As far as stops, whenever my bus interlines with Coach USA, I see its routes listed on bus stop signs as well and the 11a is considered a "local"

Edited by Far Rock Depot

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I did that and tried to use the Bus Tracker website to figure out which bus I should take from the #167 to Hoboken. I basically walked the whole width of Union City. I got off at Summit Avenue, saw that a #85 was supposed to come, waited a while, then walked to the #22, saw that wasn't supposed to come for another 30 minutes, and then made my way to the #89, where I finally got so impatient that I just jumped on the #86P. SMH, I knew I should've walked to the light rail, over 90 minutes to get from Union City to Hoboken....pathetic.....

Ohhhh right lol.

I've always said they should look to using Artics on that line. It seems that line is horrifically packed all hours of the day

Agreed, there's only one problem though. NJT doesn't have enough artics to send to Greenville. Hopefully when the time comes to order the Neoplan replacements, NJT opts to order some more to augment the fleet. 

• 2 weeks later...