New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

When did the pabt change the 113 and 114's gates after 10 pm from 407 to 316?

also when was the 26 paired with the 52 the 52 was never paired with anyone?

Not by chance, but since they both serve Kean University, NJT decided to bundle them up, while still being separated routes.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Wishful thinking, but I wish there was a commuter rail station in Union City (on the Northeast Corridor tracks that pass through en route to Manhattan. Obviously, I know about the light rail station). It would be a good alternative to the buses/minibuses for when the Lincoln Tunnel gets backed up, and would offer people coming from western NJ the option to take buses towards areas like Fort Lee & Jersey City Heights. I know there's the issue with building into the Palisades, but that didn't stop them from building the 1 & A trains in Upper Manhattan (I know it would be a different story trying to build it now that the area's all developed, but like I said, wishful thinking)

cause i remember the 52 used to be paired with a different route in the 50's 

Not sure which one it could be. The #56/57 run in a completely different direction (south instead of west). The #58 heads south out of Midtown Elizabeth in one direction, and southwest in the other one. The #26 makes the most sense.

Wishful thinking, but I wish there was a commuter rail station in Union City (on the Northeast Corridor tracks that pass through en route to Manhattan. Obviously, I know about the light rail station). It would be a good alternative to the buses/minibuses for when the Lincoln Tunnel gets backed up, and would offer people coming from western NJ the option to take buses towards areas like Fort Lee & Jersey City Heights. I know there's the issue with building into the Palisades, but that didn't stop them from building the 1 & A trains in Upper Manhattan (I know it would be a different story trying to build it now that the area's all developed, but like I said, wishful thinking)

Not sure which one it could be. The #56/57 run in a completely different direction (south instead of west). The #58 heads south out of Midtown Elizabeth in one direction, and southwest in the other one. The #26 makes the most sense.

im not sure i think it was the 56 before back in the early 2000's 

im not sure i think it was the 56 before back in the early 2000's 

The #56/57 resemble each other a lot more than the #52/56. If I had to guess any route, it would be the #66 (between Springfield & Union they take the same route). If that were the case, guess they considered the #52 to be a branch of the #66 that went to Elizabeth instead of Newark (that short-turned on the western end instead of going all the way out to Bridgewater Commons)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The #56/57 resemble each other a lot more than the #52/56. If I had to guess any route, it would be the #66 (between Springfield & Union they take the same route). If that were the case, guess they considered the #52 to be a branch of the #66 that went to Elizabeth instead of Newark (that short-turned on the western end instead of going all the way out to Bridgewater Commons)

i think it was the 58 or 59 if i remember correctly it was a something #'d in the 50's since you say no between the 56/57   and the 65 was always paired with the 66 im not sure. It could have been paired by it self for a while till recently with the 26 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Been wondering this myself lately...

Hoping they go with New Flyer for some XD60s, but I'd be fine with Nova LFSAs. 

Crossing for some Novas too many New Flyers here.

Nova artics don't meet their state axle requirements, and they want a bus at 60ft, which the Xcelsiors are. The Novas are 62ft.

Nova artics don't meet their state axle requirements, and they want a bus at 60ft, which the Xcelsiors are. The Novas are 62ft.

Now this leads me to believe they are gonna opt for XD60s. Between that and then having a demo bus at the HQ, I wouldn't be surprised if New Flyer bids the contract and wins.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Now this leads me to believe they are gonna opt for XD60s. Between that and then having a demo bus at the HQ, I wouldn't be surprised if New Flyer bids the contract and wins.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Axle requirements aside, it makes sense logistically. Both MCI and NABI are under the New Flyer umbrella. Parts, warranty, everything.

after I went to Flushing this morning, I decided to ride the (7) out to TSQ (for PABT) to do some jersey fanning....

On my ride on the #83 (which was 4 mins. late) from Hackeysack Hackensack, there was this incessant beeping noise from the time we left the shopping strip in Hackensack - to the Tonnelle av station.... the b/o powered off & on the bus 3 separate times along the ride to try to stop it, but to no avail.... The beeping was still going on with the bus turned off !

Last thing I remember seeing before I dozed off was 91st st (tried to sleep off this headache that I still have as I'm typing this :(.... I actually/luckily woke up to everyone getting off the bus, so I got up & off the bus as well.... Say to myself, great, now I gotta stand here for an hour....

...that is, until I literally got off & saw another bus right behind us with no one on it....

So I ended up riding the full route on 2 separate physical buses... The bus that ended up going OOS was #5855 & the "replacement" bus was #5889....

Edited by B35 via Church

after I went to Flushing this morning, I decided to ride the (7) out to TSQ (for PABT) to do some jersey fanning....

On my ride on the #83 (which was 4 mins. late) from Hackeysack Hackensack, there was this incessant beeping noise from the time we left the shopping strip in Hackensack - to the Tonnelle av station.... the b/o powered off & on the bus 3 separate times along the ride to try to stop it, but to no avail.... The beeping was still going on with the bus turned off !

Last thing I remember seeing before I dozed off was 91st st (tried to sleep off this headache that I still have as I'm typing this :(.... I actually/luckily woke up to everyone getting off the bus, so I got up & off the bus as well.... Say to myself, great, now I gotta stand here for an hour....

...that is, until I literally got off & saw another bus right behind us with no one on it....

So I ended up riding the full route on 2 separate physical buses... The bus that ended up going OOS was #5855 & the "replacement" bus was #5889....

The repeated beeping that usually goes on is usually false alarm stuff. I've had it happen several times before. Since my garage is primarily MCI buses, if it rains hard enough, it will trigger off some of the buzzers and lights on the dash. Though MCI is my preferred bus of choice (with Grumman/Flxible at second), this is one of the things that really annoys me the most (that and the horns randomly going off).

I think it would be best for the private bus lines, especially Academy and CUSA companies to not retire their old state-owned MCI cruisers this summer, so they can use them in addition to the new ones they got as shuttles to NYC from NJT stations during the Amtrak partial shutdown