New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, mfs NJT459 said:

I didn’t know Academy had a shortage of drivers to fulfill the NJT contracted routes such as the 119

https://jerseydigs.com/public-meeting-nj-transit-119-bus-service-heights-jersey-city-to-manhattan/

I've always thought that line should have either artics or MCI D4500s. They ought to know that line gets pack like sardines during peak periods, Saturdays and past the midnight hours. It was foolish for Transit to scrap the Sunday service. Don't know why they didn't send some of Wayne's older D4500s to Academy to help alleviate overcrowding on such a rediculous under 40 feet Nabi bus.

That's one line to and from New York in Hudson Cty( Bayonne & Jersey City) not to be played with. Hope a solution comes around before the summer notices and changes 

Its worth noting that this Friday's Early Getaway bus service from PABT includes a rare one-seat-ride to Seaside via Toms River on the 137 that's normally offered during the actual Summer months

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/holidays/FBM137.pdf (S note)

Mass Shore Exodus on Monday: https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/holidays/MEM137.pdf

Full list: https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusHolidaysExtraTo

On 5/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, mfs NJT459 said:

I didn’t know Academy had a shortage of drivers to fulfill the NJT contracted routes such as the 119

https://jerseydigs.com/public-meeting-nj-transit-119-bus-service-heights-jersey-city-to-manhattan/

Is this across all Academy garages? I'm asking because the Route 36 Service between Highlands and Long Branch recently got cut on weekends. There was no reason as to why.

EDIT: Found out the reason is due to "Beach Traffic". Considering that and people's complaints of Academy and constant service reductions, it really is one shitty company. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

27 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Just wondering: Why does NJ Transit not run more buses to/from the GWB Bus Terminal? It is so much more convenient to get to for a lot of people! Also, why are there virtually no MCIs (MCIs only on the 171 route) at GWB versus almost every bus being an MCI at PABT?

There are far more people going to PABT. There used to be a lot more bus servuce to GWB, but ridership dwindled. It never really competed with PABT.

20 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

...There used to be a lot more bus service to GWB, but ridership dwindled. It never really competed with PABT.

...and you can thank the jitneys for that.

46 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

Just wondering: Why does NJ Transit not run more buses to/from the GWB Bus Terminal? It is so much more convenient to get to for a lot of people!

Washington Heights isn't a CBD.... It is that simple.

Public transportation exists for the masses... No way can anyone with a straight face say that the demand for more people in/out of NJ is that to/from upper Manhattan, compared to Midtown Manhattan.

46 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

....Also, why are there virtually no MCIs (MCIs only on the 171 route) at GWB versus almost every bus being an MCI at PABT?

19 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

True, but what about the MCIs? GWB could use some more MCI or Artic service...

It would be an immense waste of resources to run less artics and/or MCI's on the #15_ & the #16_ routes, to allocate them on the #17_ & the #18_ routes instead.....

The #171 specifically saw drastic cuts, again, due to the jitneys....

Edited by B35 via Church

33 minutes ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

True, but what about the MCIs? GWB could use some more MCI or Artic service...

The only lines out of GWB that could use more service are the 186 and maybe the 175 (at certain times). Otherwise, the current service spans and levels are more or less sufficient.

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It would be an immense waste of resources to run less artics and/or MCI's on the #15_ & the #16_ routes, to allocate them on the #17_ & the #18_ routes instead.....

The #171 specifically saw drastic cuts, again, due to the jitneys....

Additionally, certain areas would likely flip out at having only NABIs on their NY buses (and I wouldn't blame them).

Have artics regularly been used before on any of the GWB routes?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

37 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Additionally, certain areas would likely flip out at having only NABIs on their NY buses (and I wouldn't blame them).

Have artics regularly been used before on any of the GWB routes?

Nope.

Now IDK when that population boom happened in West New York, but pax. along the 159 eventually demanded for more service... Instead, they got more capacity/per bus with the same service levels, more or less (more than I can say for artic routes here in NYC <_<)... Funny thing is, they're still demanding for more service on that route (which I suppose makes sense, because more people are continuing to move/rent up there).....

If there's any route out of Market st (garage) I'd put an artic on, it'd be the #72 or the #74, not any of the GWB routes....

1 hour ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

It's not higher than PABT, but still, only 7 NJT routes? It should have more.

...and what are you basing that on?

What collective of communities in NJ, that doesn't already have direct access to upper Manhattan via the GWB bus terminal, is just clamoring for said access enough to where anymore routes need to serve it? You're not making that clear at all.....

13 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

...and what are you basing that on?

What collective of communities in NJ, that doesn't already have direct access to upper Manhattan via the GWB bus terminal, is just clamoring for said access enough to where anymore routes need to serve it? You're not making that clear at all.....

My point is, PABT has routes to all across NJ, compared to GWB where it is only on or near the Rt. 4 corridor. I'm saying: shouldn't there be more service to other areas of NJ

1 hour ago, BrightlinerNewFlyer said:

My point is, PABT has routes to all across NJ, compared to GWB where it is only on or near the Rt. 4 corridor. I'm saying: shouldn't there be more service to other areas of NJ

I get your point... Your inquiry has been opined on already....

Never mind the fact that you haven't even attempted to demonstrate this latent demand you seem to be so persistent about.... You for whatever reason, refuse to want to come to grips that there is no point for NJT to allocate resources in supplying service to/from other different parts of the state (areas in NJ that doesn't have direct access to GWB), to/from an area of another state (upper Manhattan) that there is primarily low demand for....

Edited by B35 via Church