New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

46 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Today makes my quickest commute coming home from work which is 32 minutes. Caught the GO28 from EWR and made a perfect connection to the 13. 

How much of a drag is your normal commuting time?

The #13 is a route that appears like crazy when I don't need it... When I wish to ride it however, the branch I want takes eons to show up...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

32 minutes from Brooklyn to NJ?? 

I moved to NJ in April. Came from Newark Airport.

31 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

How much of a drag is your normal commuting time?

The #13 is a route that appears like crazy when I don't need it... When I wish to ride it however, the branch I want takes eons to show up...

I’d say it’s about 35~40 minutes. I live on the 13T branch, but the 13V is only two stops from my home stop. On the weekends, I notice that buses don’t tend to bunch, and this is with 15-20 intervals...

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

I moved to NJ in April. Came from Newark Airport.

I’d say it’s about 35~40 minutes. I live on the 13T branch, but the 13V is only two stops from my home stop. On the weekends, I notice that buses tend to bunch, and this is with 15-20 intervals...

Fixed as it was too late to edit.

Looks like the jitney buses are stepping their game up by using actual coach buses on their trips. Fuji bus in particular is using MCI D4500CTs instead of the traditional jitneys. I guess they're trying to make themselves look more appealing than NJT or something.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• 3 weeks later...

So this goes to anyone who rides or who knows about the 31 Dover St. bus:

As I was at Downtown Newark today, I saw some of the 31's with their displays saying: "31 West Side High School Lights On" instead of "31 Dover St" or "31 Penn Station". Anyone have insight on this?

22 hours ago, go25 said:

So this goes to anyone who rides or who knows about the 31 Dover St. bus:

As I was at Downtown Newark today, I saw some of the 31's with their displays saying: "31 West Side High School Lights On" instead of "31 Dover St" or "31 Penn Station". Anyone have insight on this?

Read this article. I was confused about seeing that also for over a week now until I came across this article talking about that. I did get on a 31 earlier this week with that display. Nothing really different, just the usual packed ride the 31 can be.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/07/getting-home-from-late-night-school-events-can-be-scary-for-these-kids-free-buses-change-that.html

There seems to be so much mystique about the unwritten policies and practices of the 308 bus to Six Flags. Both times I've ridden it this summer I've learned something new about it, and I typically am a well-prepared traveler.

First thing I learned is the departure times on the schedule are a load of crap (in a good way.) Those buses start running an hour before the posted time going to the park and coming back from the park they start running 2 hours (sometimes 3 hours if the park is closing late) before the posted time.

Guys I have a question important...I'm looking to go to Lakewood this weekend and was wondering if I can take the NJT 832 to Asbury Park and TRANSFER to the 317 I mean yeah I know the 317 tariff is very elevated but can I reduce the normal fare to a discounted fare like the ones from CT Transit or is a new fare in just sceptical thanks 

On 7/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, DS4Ever said:

Guys I have a question important...I'm looking to go to Lakewood this weekend and was wondering if I can take the NJT 832 to Asbury Park and TRANSFER to the 317 I mean yeah I know the 317 tariff is very elevated but can I reduce the normal fare to a discounted fare like the ones from CT Transit or is a new fare in just sceptical thanks 

Yes you can take the #832 to Asbury for the #317....

As for the other question, IDK what you're even asking with that; reducing the normal fare to a discounted one....

I always wondered why the 128 doesn’t take full coverage of Blvd East, Palisades Park, Ridgefield Park, & Ridgefield. The lines 165, 166, 168 can head into NY express from Rt. 46 on the regular making these trips faster. And the 128 trip can start in Ridgefield just before the NJ Turnpike.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, zzaiahh said:

I always wondered why the 128 doesn’t take full coverage of Blvd East, Palisades Park, Ridgefield Park, & Ridgefield. The lines 165, 166, 168 can head into NY express from Rt. 46 on the regular making these trips faster. And the 128 trip can start in Ridgefield just before the NJ Turnpike.

The 128 is already a route where trips operate out of Meadowlands, Fairview, and I believe Howell.... This is with the 165/6/8 serving the course between Nungessers & PABT.

Where would they get all the necessary buses from (to put on the #128), if it were to be the sole route serving that specific pocket of NJ?

On 7/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, zzaiahh said:

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The 128 is already a route where trips operate out of Meadowlands, Fairview, and I believe Howell.... This is with the 165/6/8 serving the course between Nungessers & PABT.

Where would they get all the necessary buses from (to put on the #128), if it were to be the sole route serving that specific pocket of NJ?

It may be relatively hard with the current amount of buses. Some probably would be some buses offset from the 166 (local). Most 166 locals already terminate in Palisades Park during the rush hour (off-peak is a different story though). 

Even if it was possible, I'm pretty sure Rockland Coaches would have problems with that, because it would take away a lot of riders (with the 166T specifically), since the 20 does the exact same thing as the 166T south of Tenafly (except for running via Grand Avenue in Palisades Park & Leonia). 

• 3 weeks later...

Why can't you buy HBLR single tickets on the Mytix app? It only allows you to purchase a monthly on the 19th. It's funny as NLR allows you to buy single tickets on the app.

I fanned the 25 today and took me several tries just to log in, app is very glitchy today it seems. As for the 25, those headways are lovely.. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Why can't you buy HBLR single tickets on the Mytix app? It only allows you to purchase a monthly on the 19th. It's funny as NLR allows you to buy single tickets on the app.

Only monthly tickets are allowed to be purchased on the app (including NLR). NJT haven't figure out a way to reduce fare beating from people not activating the tickets.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

What’s a good route to catch 2000-2003 MCIs on?

Not sure if these are 2000-2003, but the #171 out of GWB, and most all of the PABT routes have MCIs

Edited by New Flyer Xcelsior

On 8/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

What’s a good route to catch 2000-2003 MCIs on?

Routes 127,163- 167 and 168 are guaranteed routes with those cruisers(40 footers) Some 166 and 167 routes will have 45 footers, either a Detroit, Cat or Cummins engine. Other routes to and from the PABT have the 2000- 2003 cruisers as well, but with a mixture of other cruisers that are younger than those 2000-03 models. 

I believe everything out of Oradell garage is a guarantee for D4000s. The fort lee routes use MCI on some runs (156,158,159, and the R variants). Fwiw the 153 also uses only older MCI but it has something like 4 runs total a day. Of the GWB routes I noticed the 171 is usually your best bet for an older MCI followed by the 175 but both of those use NABIs too. The 186 to dumont is NABIs now, the 188 used to use MCI regularly but it’s been a while since i last tracked or seen an mci on that route.

South Jersey has a few 01-03 MCI left and they are guaranteed to run every weekday (and I think they still do weekends too) so if you hang around there, one is bound to turn up. The south jersey routes are fine as long as you don’t mind walter rand.........

Edited by Orion6025
Clarification on mci model year