Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Orion VII 4 Life

New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

They both don't have the exact same routes between Newark-Penn & Ivy Hill & quite honestly, dwell times at stops (and traffic) along Springfield (which the #361 spends more time on) can easily put a damper on the route...

I don't see a problem here.... Your overly simplistic view on the matter isn't proof of some inaccuracy.

Don't you think it's odd to offer an express service that takes longer than the local? You don't see anything wrong with this?


While the 361 does spend more time on Springfield, it does so without stopping - hence the express. It also take a single right turn instead of two left and two right turns on the regular route.

I have ridden both routes and the 361 is always faster. Do you have any experience on the route that says otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jass said:

Don't you think it's odd to offer an express service that takes longer than the local? You don't see anything wrong with this?


While the 361 does spend more time on Springfield, it does so without stopping - hence the express. It also take a single right turn instead of two left and two right turns on the regular route.

I have ridden both routes and the 361 is always faster. Do you have any experience on the route that says otherwise?

I think it's odd that you're telling me that the 361 makes no stops on Springfield....

I see something very wrong with your comparing of unlike terms & coming to a faulty conclusion....

The #361 is a glorified short turn variant of the #1... It seems to me like you want to convey that it operates between 13th & MLK without any semblance of passenger activity whatsoever, which is just not true; "does so without stopping"... You're too caught up on the marketing ploy of the route.... The thing hardly feels like an express at times, when it still allows for pickups along the entire route heading towards Ivy Hill (you just can't get off between MLK & 13th)..... Same concept heading towards Newark-Penn; still allowing for dropoffs along the entire route (you just can't board between MLK & 13th)..... Basically, they want riders taking #25's along that stretch where it doesn't allow for pickups and dropoffs along that stretch of Springfield....

Do I have any experience on the route that says otherwise to your experiences of the thing always being faster? Well, yeah - Which is why I have the opinion of the #361 that I do..... Which is why I even asked what I did in that original reply to you....

I'm not buying that the schedule's inaccurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the times I've been on the 361, it can be a faster ride than usual depending on the driver.

 

Because of the annoying slow rush hour traffic on Springfield ave, whoever is driving, the driver will go as far as Springfield and 15th ave, turn down 15th ave and stay on that avenue and turn left onto south 13 street until 18th ave and then continue the regular route.

 

And I think twice I was on the 361 when the driver decided to go up Springfield Ave and turn onto 16th Ave instead doing the same thing I mentioned above this. Sure cuts about 5-7 minutes.

 

So it's a win/win really depending on who's driving since the only detours that are happening to save time is the express part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jass said:

Don't you think it's odd to offer an express service that takes longer than the local? You don't see anything wrong with this?


While the 361 does spend more time on Springfield, it does so without stopping - hence the express. It also take a single right turn instead of two left and two right turns on the regular route.

I have ridden both routes and the 361 is always faster. Do you have any experience on the route that says otherwise?

I used the 361 every morning for the first half of my high school year this year, and I can tell you that it is MUCH slower than the normal local #1. Most of the time when I used 361, the driver did not allow anyone to board or discharge past 18th Avenue and 13th Street until the bus got to MLK Blvd, and the bus would still be late for it's Penn Station arrival time. It gets held up a lot due to the traffic along Springfield Avenue, and sometimes the first 361 trips (7:16 AM and 7:23 AM, both trips that start straight from the garage) do not operate, causing the next trips to be overcrowded, making the trip even slower. It became so bad that I stopped using 361 in the morning. I use the 7:13 #1 that goes to River Terminal. It rarely overcrowds, and arrives to Downtown Newark on time. As a matter of fact, the 361 that leaves at 7:16 and my bus arrive at Springfield and Irvine Turner at the same time most of the time because of how slow 361 can be.

 

As for the afternoon 361 trips, the issue is very similar. Most of my trips, the driver does not allow pickups or drop-offs until 18th and 13th Streets, and the bus still gets caught up in Springfield Avenue traffic. The #1 local that leaves about 2 minutes earlier from Penn Station gets to 18th Avenue and Grove Street quicker than the 361 does.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once upon a time (as the 1x), the "express" portion used to be between MLK & Grove.... When & why did they ever push it a couple blocks east to 13th anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something random I always wondered.

 

Does anybody remember back in 2005 when NJ Transit decided to extend the 1 service (with limited service) to start/end at the Hilton Garage via Ivy Hill? All trips would still end at either 20th street or Ivy Hill with most trips continuing after Ivy Hill to the Garage.

 

The thought always came to me from time to time wondering what was that all about because that extended service only lasted a few short months. Not sure if it was because of low ridership or something else instead.

 

Here's a schedule from the wayback machine from 2005 of the 1 showing the service - https://web.archive.org/web/20050512114732/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, Silver Script said:

Something random I always wondered.

 

Does anybody remember back in 2005 when NJ Transit decided to extend the 1 service (with limited service) to start/end at the Hilton Garage via Ivy Hill? All trips would still end at either 20th street or Ivy Hill with most trips continuing after Ivy Hill to the Garage.

 

The thought always came to me from time to time wondering what was that all about because that extended service only lasted a few short months. Not sure if it was because of low ridership or something else instead.

 

Here's a schedule from the wayback machine from 2005 of the 1 showing the service - https://web.archive.org/web/20050512114732/http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0001.pdf

I love this schedule.

 

It shows Im not crazy! In 2005, the X service was indeed a good amount faster than local service.

 

IE:

X departs Penn at 4:00 and arrives in Ivy Hill at 4:28

1 departs Penn at 4:02 and arrivs in Ivy Hill at 4:36

Today it's the opposite!

 

The current schedule also shows shorter trip times, even thought traffic has gotten worse (and the buses can never meet the scheduled times)

IE, look at the last trip on Sunday am.

2005:

Leave JC at 3:18am, arrive in Ivy Hill at 4:20am

2019:

Leave JC at 3:18am arrive at Ivy Hill at 4:14am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Today makes my quickest commute coming home from work which is 32 minutes. Caught the GO28 from EWR and made a perfect connection to the 13. 

Beat my record today. Exactly 30 minutes to get home. Could have been quicker, but we caught a few red lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 1:44 PM, A Former New Yorker said:

Does anyone know how extremely inconvenient the GO buses are (GO25 only running on Rush Hours and the GO28 being completely unreliable at of the time as it only runs every half-hour at all times even though they have 10 Suburbans assigned to it and the fact that both don't have dedicated bus lanes)

The GO28 operates at its current frequency because ridership isn’t high enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Beat my record today. Exactly 30 minutes to get home. Could have been quicker, but we caught a few red lights.

Nice.

You know what could be done in 30 minutes on the B35 during the PM rush? About a mile ride from the (B)(Q) to the East 40's here in E. Flatbush :(

  • LMAO! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any of the PABT - Hackensack routes actually stop inside the Hackensack bus terminal? I remember I rode an route out of PA that that went to Hackensack but didn't stop at the terminal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Do any of the PABT - Hackensack routes actually stop inside the Hackensack bus terminal? I remember I rode an route out of PA that that went to Hackensack but didn't stop at the terminal.

The NJT bus route 168 stops in the back not to far away from the bus terminal when going towards Hackensack. When heading to NY it stops right in front of the terminal. Do you remember the route# you took?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zzaiahh said:

The NJT bus route 168 stops in the back not to far away from the bus terminal when going towards Hackensack. When heading to NY it stops right in front of the terminal. Do you remember the route# you took?

Sadly, no. It was an MCI though and only knew when to get off thanks to the automated announcement system. I was planning a little fantrip, I'll probably take the train from NYC to Newark and just take the 76 from NWK Penn to Hackensack since I never been on the 76 before and already rode both Hackensack - GWB routes. Then take the NJT route 83 to Journal Square and take PATH back to NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Sadly, no. It was an MCI though and only knew when to get off thanks to the automated announcement system. I was planning a little fantrip, I'll probably take the train from NYC to Newark and just take the 76 from NWK Penn to Hackensack since I never been on the 76 before and already rode both Hackensack - GWB routes. Then take the NJT route 83 to Journal Square and take PATH back to NY.

Oh ok cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure where to put this under any discussion forum, but has there ever been a NABI 416.15 running on some long distance Routes like the 319 or other long NJ transit routes? I just see a NABI on the 319 on CPTDB and I'm just wondering if something like that ever happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how else to ask this, but out of every mall in NJ that's served by an NJT bus route, which bus route takes the worst (as in most meandrous) course to get in & out of a mall that you know of / can think of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not sure how else to ask this, but out of every mall in NJ that's served by an NJT bus route, which bus route takes the worst (as in most meandrous) course to get in & out of a mall that you know of / can think of?

The buses to Jersey Gardens are the absolute worst.

The times Ive taken it, we spend all day going back and forth through industrial areas where nobody gets on or off. Meanwhile, theres 50 people trying to get to the mall. A trip that should take 15 minutes takes 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, trainfan22 said:

Sadly, no. It was an MCI though and only knew when to get off thanks to the automated announcement system. I was planning a little fantrip, I'll probably take the train from NYC to Newark and just take the 76 from NWK Penn to Hackensack since I never been on the 76 before and already rode both Hackensack - GWB routes. Then take the NJT route 83 to Journal Square and take PATH back to NY.

The 165 runs through Hackensack along Main Street (but does not deviate to serve the bus terminal). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 12:50 PM, jass said:

The buses to Jersey Gardens are the absolute worst.

The times Ive taken it, we spend all day going back and forth through industrial areas where nobody gets on or off. Meanwhile, theres 50 people trying to get to the mall. A trip that should take 15 minutes takes 50.

 

They should make the 40 skip those areas and only have select trips serve those areas when people are going to and leaving work.

 

Been enough times in the past that I would catch the 40 to the mall and have it be a waste of time when the drivers go through the port newark area (Like Export and Tyler streets) and no one is there to get off or catch it. And that area adds like 7-8 minutes more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately, I’ve been trying a new route to get home from work. In my experiences, the 37 is almost as fast as transferring to the 13 from the GO28 or 62. The only downside is that I have to walk up Clinton Ave if I miss the 13 coming from Irvington terminal. 

I usually get the last 37 of the evening which leaves EWR at 11:30 and it’s always packed to the brim. They should really add another trip or adjust the schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Lately, I’ve been trying a new route to get home from work. In my experiences, the 37 is almost as fast as transferring to the 13 from the GO28 or 62. The only downside is that I have to walk up Clinton Ave if I miss the 13 coming from Irvington terminal. 

I usually get the last 37 of the evening which leaves EWR at 11:30 and it’s always packed to the brim. They should really add another trip or adjust the schedule.

You should see the late night 107 that stops at the airport...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, go25 said:

You should see the late night 107 that stops at the airport...

I would imagine that it gets just as full. Hopefully they add more service soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.