New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Major accident affecting NJ Transit since 5:30AM this morning.. Rte 3 closed from the Hackensack Bridge- Harmon Meadow heading to the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan..

Also, Pulaski Skyway, RTE 1/9 also closed due to major accident affecting NJ Transit buses.

Still closed? It sounds like those accidents were fatal.

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

would it even be worth it to route the 94 bus through the Irvington Terminal to boost more transfer options its just about a block over from its nearest approach at at Springfield and New Street 

Nah, only a 2 block walk from there, and that would require rerouting the 94 to serve it

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

would it even be worth it to route the 94 bus through the Irvington Terminal to boost more transfer options its just about a block over from its nearest approach at at Springfield and New Street 

The Newark bus redesign draft proposal splits the 94 into two routes at Irvington.

So, the new schedules are up and taking effect on January 15th and the more surprising thing I'm seeing is that they chose to re-route the 90 after Cordier Street so it starts at Chancellor Ave and 43rd street

Also, the 13, 90, and 96 isn't going to be serving Valley Plaza Mall directly 

Well here is the link to it - https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/upcoming/20220106/T0090.pdf

They did something like this before in 2005 or 2008 I think? That they decided to extend a certain amount of 1 trips past Ivy Hill to go all the way to end and begin at 43rd Street... that only lasted a few months for some reason.

Edited by Silver Script

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Thanks 

I don't like their idea of eliminating the 66 cause cause your telling the people on Vauxhall ave to walk out to Morris or Stuyvesant Ave

I wouldn't say that's a huge loss considering fewer than half the buses actually served Vauxhall Avenue. I think the bigger inconvenience is having to transfer (most likely from the #114 to the #99) to get from Newark to Union in general. But if ridership isn't that high outside of Newark, I suppose it's not the worst idea.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I wouldn't say that's a huge loss considering fewer than half the buses actually served Vauxhall Avenue. I think the bigger inconvenience is having to transfer (most likely from the #114 to the #99) to get from Newark to Union in general. But if ridership isn't that high outside of Newark, I suppose it's not the worst idea.

Use to live in Newark nobody goes that Far south on the Bus constantly. Union is car county with mostly students heading to Union who won’t be affected.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, Silver Script said:

So, the new schedules are up and taking effect on January 15th and the more surprising thing I'm seeing is that they chose to re-route the 90 after Cordier Street so it starts at Chancellor Ave and 43rd street

Also, the 13, 90, and 96 isn't going to be serving Valley Plaza Mall directly

Well here is the link to it - https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/upcoming/20220106/T0090.pdf

No qualms on my end... I've been saying that nothing be terminating at that dump anyway.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:19 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I don't like their idea of eliminating the 66 cause cause your telling the people on Vauxhall ave to walk out to Morris or Stuyvesant Ave

On 1/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Non-issue... #66 usage past Weequahic is rather poor... Can't really see anyone xferring b/w the #114 & the #99... You can effectively phase the thing out (#66)...

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Non-issue... #66 usage past Weequahic is rather poor... Can't really see anyone xferring b/w the #114 & the #99... You can effectively phase the thing out (#66)...

On 1/6/2022 at 5:57 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

On 1/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, Nova Fly Guy said:

Use to live in Newark nobody goes that Far south on the Bus constantly. Union is car county with mostly students heading to Union who won’t be affected.

Fwiw when I was younger the few times dad and I used to take the 66 either via Vauxhall or Morris afair fwir Morris slightly had more crowd then Vauxhall on Vauxhall you had atleast more then 10 passengers maybe once fwir and Vauxhall coming back in from Newark everyone who got on got off in hillside etc while driver carried air into union and ran that branch fast as hell  and the other times we went via Newark to the city we used the 94 to the 39 while most times we walked out to Morris Ave for the 114 

Also while I am here for the current 66 why do they have to do that stupid jog for some stops on Springfield Ave make them go out to mountain. 

I looked at that 94/54 split and I like it 

I like the fact they are gonna straighten out the 39 and have it use Clinton 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Since they are kicking the 13 out of valley fair what about eliminating that branch and giving that area to the 39 90 and 96?

You do realize that buses still end in the general vicinity of (as in, just short of) Valley Fair; they terminate over by the RR tracks now, along Chancellor, about a 1/2 block away..... Regardless, this suggestion appears to implicate that Valley Fair was the major ridership generator for that branch of the route....

Even if you wanted to give that area to those aforementioned routes, there's still value to retaining some semblance of service along Clinton (it would be way too much walking for some people to get to the #39... and then there's the whole demand for service north of Raymond blvd aspect of it all), so I wouldn't outright can that branch of the #13 - even with the #27 on Hawthorne.... Basically, you're underestimating that branch....

On 1/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Also while I am here what is the point of the 65 as written?

To connect Somerset & Union counties to the city of Newark.... Now how viable (how it goes about accomplishing) it is anymore, is up for discussion... Lol.

On 1/8/2022 at 5:00 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Fwiw when I was younger the few times dad and I used to take the 66 either via Vauxhall or Morris afair fwir Morris slightly had more crowd then Vauxhall on Vauxhall you had atleast more then 10 passengers maybe once fwir and Vauxhall coming back in from Newark everyone who got on got off in hillside etc while driver carried air into union and ran that branch fast as hell  and the other times we went via Newark to the city we used the 94 to the 39 while most times we walked out to Morris Ave for the 114 

Also while I am here for the current 66 why do they have to do that stupid jog for some stops on Springfield Ave make them go out to mountain. 

I looked at that 94/54 split and I like it 

I like the fact they are gonna straighten out the 39 and have it use Clinton 

No idea what you're referring to with this....

Important Notice:

Bus routes 196/197 will resume normal service today, Saturday, Feb. 5, beginning with the 11:30 AM departure from Port Authority Bus Terminal to Warwick and the 11:54 AM departure from Warwick to Port Authority Bus Terminal.

From the njtransit.com bus page.

This is interesting.... So the #196 resumes normal service today... This is an important notice too.

Good to know that NJT is letting us know that a route that doesn't normally run on weekends, isn't running today :lol::lol::lol: