Worlds " Coolest " Transit System. Wuppertal, Germany

Aussieinuk

Wuppertal Schwebebahn is a suspended monorail in Wuppertal, Germany. The suspension railway travels along a route 13.3 kilometres long, about 12 metres (39 ft 4 in) above the surface of the river Wupper between Oberbarmen and Sonnborner Straße (10 km) and approximately 8 m above the city streets, between Sonnborner Straße and Vohwinkel (3.3 km). At one point the railway crosses the A46 motorway. The entire trip takes about 30 minutes. The Schwebebahn has 25 million passenger annually (2008).

Credit to Brugghen

•  

•  

Very nice transport system and good bus connections. I like this German network.

I always wondered as would happen in case of emergency évacution with this type of material and even monorails ...

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

Very nice transport system and good bus connections. I like this German network.

I always wondered as would happen in case of emergency évacution with this type of material and even monorails ...

C.U.Soon,

Laurent (JFK)

I also noticed there are no barriers at the platform end. A child could easily run and fall over the edge. In spite of that this monorail has been in operation since 1901.It really is a credit to German engineering and design. It must be safe or it would have been closed down.

I also noticed there are no barriers at the platform end. A child could easily run and fall over the edge. In spite of that this monorail has been in operation since 1901.It really is a credit to German engineering and design. It must be safe or it would have been closed down.

That is not entirely true. There are no barriers at the platform ends but underneath the platforms there is a metallic safety 'net' in between the platforms all the way to the edges so if someone falls off they fall into that net.

Also, it's indeed safe. There has been one accident in 1999 where some engineer left a screwdriver on the rails making one train derail and fall into the Wupper (the big river of the city) causing 5 deaths and 46 injured people. But that's the only big accident that ever happened.

Archived