Train Operator and Conductor Exam

Blackmanor1000

I sure hope so but remember, they are also doing a promotional exam before the OC exam so we OCers will have to wait fro the promotional to get dibs.

They fully exhaust the promotional list before they start hiring off of the open competitive list.

What is the percentage of people that make it through promotions and stick through it?

Alot depends on what title you're promoting to. For T/O's you only have 2 promotions to take T/D and TSS and these are 2 of the least hired job titles that is one reason the T/O's seniority moves sooooooooooooo slow.

To put it into perspective the last TSS test was 5 years ago and they are only up to about #112 on the list. And that's with ALOT of people being passed over because they don't have over 70% of there total career sick time.

Some people don't stay with the promotion because they cannot handle the pay cut at the current time. Going to TSS for alot of T/O's is leaving about 15-20 grand on the table a year for the first 2 years.

What about the lower level positions? ex: Station Agents, Cleaners, etc.. going to C/R, T/O going to those positions and sticking to it.

The lower level jobs have more promotional opportunities and they get to promote to T/O which is a title that is almost constantly hiring.

It seems that most people always stay with the promotion from lower jobs because of the HUGE pay difference. There are some C/R's that always take the tests but don't want the job but they usually go to school car for T/O to get 6 easy months of 7-3 shifts with weekends and all holidays off, then they go back to C/R. My cousin has done this twice already.

Thats what I was planning to do when I got Promoted from C/R to T/O. I wanted to stay a C/R but also wanted to just operate the train for alittle bit. As time went on I tought it was better to stick with T/O since I have less customer contact over staying in the Middle with wkends off which you can get on the PM's after 5 Years.

Sometimes I do question myself if it was the right decision to stay a T/O sometimes I love it but hate it in other ways as well like being alert 100 % of the time.

What about the lower level positions? ex: Station Agents, Cleaners, etc.. going to C/R, T/O going to those positions and sticking to it.
Lower level?? No such thing..Everybody in TA gets MONAAY...:D Two different departments!Stations and Rto..Station agents and cleaners make good money.The diff between cleaner and c/r hourly BASE pay is NOT much.RTO tends to look down on stations and it's all B.S. I know a cleaner that clears 65-70k a year without killing himself(salary capped every year)I gotta get you out that mindstate before you come here.:D

Lower level?? No such thing..Everybody in TA gets MONAAY...:D Two different departments!Stations and Rto..Station agents and cleaners make good money.The diff between cleaner and c/r hourly BASE pay is NOT much.RTO tends to look down on stations and it's all B.S. I know a cleaner that clears 65-70k a year without killing himself(salary capped every year)I gotta get you out that mindstate before you come here.:D
What mindstate?

Thats what I was planning to do when I got Promoted from C/R to T/O. I wanted to stay a C/R but also wanted to just operate the train for alittle bit. As time went on I tought it was better to stick with T/O since I have less customer contact over staying in the Middle with wkends off which you can get on the PM's after 5 Years.

Sometimes I do question myself if it was the right decision to stay a T/O sometimes I love it but hate it in other ways as well like being alert 100 % of the time.

That's one thing that I picked up from working for the NYC DOE that will help me out with the MTA. Dealing with the public for close to 5 years you learn how to deal with the public and how to deal with the angry individuals. I've had people curse me out all the time and I still manage to keep a professional composure.

It's not looking down on stations it's a simple fact of station clerk or station cleaner can take a PROMOTION to C/R.

When you get DEMOTED from C/R or T/O these days it's 99% that you will be made into a cleaner.

It's not looking down on stations it's a simple fact of station clerk or station cleaner can take a PROMOTION to C/R.

When you get DEMOTED from C/R or T/O these days it's 99% that you will be made into a cleaner.

I'm assuming that you can take another Promotional exam to get your position back?

Yeh,I know the procedure..I was just saying how MOST, not all people in RTO looks down at the station department.He being from the outside not Knowingly said lower level position and that "wording" sorta hit a nerve.

I never looked down on station department and hell for six months I was assigned to # 3 Pick up 5 days a week. The cleaners loved me and thier supervisor if not the regular didn't. They even commented I was one of the best T/O's they worked with if they wanted a break they got it. If if they didn't say anything because of one stricted Supervisor I still gave them breaks.

Yeh,I know the procedure..I was just saying how MOST, not all people in RTO looks down at the station department.He being from the outside not Knowingly said lower level position and that "wording" sorta hit a nerve.

Yeah, I saw why it did. I apologize.

But clerk and cleaners are lower level positions! That isn't a negative thing just fact. They aren't the lowest level though, that would be property protection which is a good job too. Car cleaners are higher on the food chain than station cleaners too.

I never looked down on station department and hell for six months I was assigned to # 3 Pick up 5 days a week. The cleaners loved me and thier supervisor if not the regular didn't. They even commented I was one of the best T/O's they worked with if they wanted a break they got it. If if they didn't say anything because of one stricted Supervisor I still gave them breaks.
C'mon Dave..Get outta here!!I know you wouldn't do such a thing.;) Dave,you know the deal and where I'm comin from...

But clerk and cleaners are lower level positions! That isn't a negative thing just fact. They aren't the lowest level though, that would be property protection which is a good job too. Car cleaners are higher on the food chain than station cleaners too.
Forget it...:cool:

Archived