Two changes as of this weekend

Harry

Starting today, I'm going to enable the reputation system with both positive and negative points.  Kind of like what YouTube runs it.  The maximum positive and negative a group can give in a 24 hour period has been increased all across the board.  The only difference is members with more seniority will be able to give more points.

Starting today, all transit user titles will be consolidated into one usergroup "Transit Worker".  It's been a real pain working with so many different usergroups and this will just make it a little easier to manage.

@ Harry: OK I'm absolutely up to it but one thing I must point out: Sometimes we would have members that say what is right and true on topics (and I don't even mean transit topics but on issues concerning world affairs and ethical issues) but nethertheless does not meet the majority view or the popular view. So should the person be penalized for it with a vote down juts because despite the point expressed being valid does not meet the popular view? That needs to be considered in this proposal.

]I always believe in the fact that everyone most of the time has a valid viewpoint and outlook and should not be penalized for it by vote downs just because it doesnt match with the majority viewpoint on topics discussed. Just to be fair I think I needed to point that out. Like the now defunct like system, this new system can also be abused.

My two cents.

Can we all just be adults and try it out.  If it doesn't work out I'll just turn off the negative.  If you want to discuss it do it here.  No need to create status update threads.

No it's working out fine. At the moment, thanks.

@ Harry: OK I'm absolutely up to it but one thing I must point out: Sometimes we would have members that say what is right and true on topics (and I don't even mean transit topics but on issues concerning world affairs and ethical issues) but nethertheless does not meet the majority view or the popular view. So should the person be penalized for it with a vote down juts because despite the point expressed being valid does not meet the popular view? That needs to be considered in this proposal.

]I always believe in the fact that everyone most of the time has a valid viewpoint and outlook and should not be penalized for it by vote downs just because it doesnt match with the majority viewpoint on topics discussed. Just to be fair I think I needed to point that out. Like the now defunct like system, this new system can also be abused.

My two cents.

I doubt that would be a serious problem. I could see it happening every once in a while but not regularly. At the end of the day it's just a voting system. Not serious at all.

My two cents.

If someone gives up their belief system because other people disagree with them, then I cannot feel sympathetic for them.

Good feedback gentlemen.

But let me take this a step forward by creating a hypothetical scenerio: Let's say the majority of this forum are Republican, while Democrats are in the minority. A thread is posted on a political hot button topic. Keeping in mind that most of the persons that will be posting are Republicans may give uncalled for negatives to those holding Democratic views out of political bias despite being that their input is valid, on point, non-inflammatory, and accurate on historical facts and numerical stats. That can cause problems as far as the abuse potential for this new popularity sustem in place. That is my concern.

As a side point I am neither Replublican or Democratic as I normally don't get directly involved in straight political issues. My passions are in human and civil rights. So my viewpoint expressed is not meant in a insulting way to those who hold true to their political stance on the political party they choose to support here. This is only a hypothetical scenerio for the sake of discussing the change implemented. It has the potential for abuse.

However Turbo you have a good point. In other words this is only the internet.

And ttcsubwayfan I am in 100% accord with you., Never give up on your personal beliefs no matter what the masses say in disagreement. If they don't like what you say it's on them, not you. They dont pay our bills, put food on the table, put clothes on our backs or pay the rent. So such people probably should think before they speak. Which is one good aspect of this new system. It forces the trolls to think before they speak.

Aww, not to be picky or anything but I couldn't put the option of notifying me of reputation points on the settings. Love the feature overall, just want the notification to tell me who likes my posts.

Oh, ttc, is that what you meant earlier?

Question: How many points can a member give per 24 hours? Does it depend on member status? And will a reputation bar be considered to reflect the points accumulated per member granted as in other similar social media boards?

Edit: Never mind I just tested it and see how it reflects in their profiles. But still I ask how does this will work as far as member status and the quota of points given?

How come we don't get notifications of likes/dislikes on our posts anymore? Is there any way to keep that?

I know this is for Harry but if I may give my thinking as I had the same question:

Well I always thought that administrators in most forums of this type that uses this feature dies not by default notify who grants the positive or negative dislikes. I guess the reasoning behind that again is to prevent abuse in the sense of trading rep points just for the sake of it. (Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours sort of logic) Also to promote anonomity to discourage abuse of those holding opposing viewpoints by means of excessive negatives  to those who has the tendancy to troll and flame others just because of a grudge or just to harrass others.

But Harry I'm sure will give a much more comprehensive answer then I ever could. He knows what he's doing with the experience he has in keeping a forum together in one piece and promote positive productivity and harmony.

....Ohh it's 1:30PM already? My uncles are coming @ 5PM for the family dinner. We have important things to discuss concerning family related issues. (One of my uncles is going through a grievious divorce and is complementing suicide, Got to help this guy and encourage him with options as to how to get out of his mess and not lose hope. That's another story)

Archived